shit in art galleries

Leo

ha...yeah in fairness, there's no reason why you'd know this but every "public school" is NYC is numbered. and unlike the UK, public schools are the free ones funded by tax dollars that are town/city run. private schools are the ones that charge hefty tuition fees to attend.

IdleRich

IdleRich
in the stall next to me there was a guy having a long conversation about hotel reservations which was quite incomprehensible, why was he sat there doing that? he could have just done that in the gallery or outside. was he shitting at the same time?
Ah I read about this, it's actually an installation.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Maybe relevant, I'm reading this book Droppers about the Drop City commune. The guys who created it were artists who believed that art didn't belong in a gallery, in fact they thought the whole world of galleries and dealers and so on was entirely antithetical to art. They liked to make stuff and leave it in the street, see how people interacted with it etc when they did that they called it a dropping, but a dropping could also be a trick or a harmless lie they told someone - which I guess they viewed as a kind of creativity.

So Drop City was not named for dropping out or dropping acid, it was a place for people who made these droppings to live - unless that claim was itself a dropping

So sounds as though the guy next to you @shakahislop was laying a fairly major dropping.

Leo

18xp-koons-broken-sculpture-superJumbo.jpg

Leo

As an art collector, he spotted an opportunity and asked a woman working at the gallery if she was willing to sell him the broken pieces. He said she was still mulling the offer.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Might bosh some quasi-toxic toadstools before I head along, you know, get into the spirit of things, like.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Wow look at this amazing picture!

337959775_942181200401372_2453269973330445447_n.jpg

One of the greatest art works I've ever seen. Can't believe he gave it away for 6k

Reactions: Leo

shakahislop

Josh Kline at the Whitney is great. Richter show at Zwirner is good too.
was supposed to go to the whitney last week but we biked out to flushing and decided to carry on right down to the rockaways instead. might get there tomorrow coz its free for earth day. thanks for the recommendation. the zwirner in chelsea was closed for install when i was there this week, probably there's another one down there

Leo

The Gerhard Richter is at the 20th st Zwirner location, not the 19th St. That one was still closed today, could see them installing a Kusama exhibition when we walked by.

Leo

I sometimes don't have patience for lots of video installations, but Kline's "Personal Responsibility" room with fictional video interviews set in the aftermath of climate disaster is pretty powerful.

jenks

thread death
Finally got to the Prado in the holidays. Once I got away from the hordes who only seemed to want to hang out by the Garden of Earthly delights it was manageable. Got to see the Goya black paintings pretty much by myself.

Attachments

• 08DDC1EB-729E-46E8-9940-52CA94BA39FD.jpeg
    08DDC1EB-729E-46E8-9940-52CA94BA39FD.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 3

IdleRich

IdleRich
Wow look at this amazing picture!

View attachment 15015

One of the greatest art works I've ever seen. Can't believe he gave it away for 6k
Nobody gonna reply to this. To me it's really weird, my friend Luka messaged me the other day and showed me this painting he'd done from a photo of me playing pool when he came to Lisbon. It seems very strange that someone bought it - for around six thousand euros - and that now, presumably, a complete stranger has it on their wall. A picture of me on their wall, with no idea who I am.

Reactions: Leo