De La Soul

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Now available to stream.

A major blind spot in my hip-hop knowledge. I know the singles everybody knows but most of this stuff will be completely new to me cos for whatever reason I never bought their albums back in my CD buying days.

I'm listening to 3 Feet High and Rising as I type.

Reactions: sus

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Don't want to rush to judgements. I like it and I think it'll grow on me if I let it. On first listen, nothing sticks out as much as the big singles ("The Magic Number", "Me, Myself and I" and particularly "Eye Know"), but that could obviously be cos I've heard those ones a million times.

It's an interesting one cos I wonder if it's somewhat stuck behind the Time Barrier. I can imagine it would have sounded very fresh and different in 1989.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
This is worth a watch actually

Makes me think one of the ways this sound has aged a lot is that nowadays most music sounds very 'clean' and lucid and this album is often sample upon sample upon sample layered on top of each other

DannyL

Wild Horses
They're actually pretty cryptic rappers as well, which I think makes the music harder to track and recall. Lots of weird backwards sentence construction.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Buhloonie Mindstate and Stakes is High are two that stuck with me. I haven't listened to 3 Ft for what seems like millenia.

Always a big fan of this late period jam with Chaka Khan:

DannyL

Wild Horses
They occupy a similar space in my head to Main Source.
Main Source were a classic group, but kinda stuck to the template. De La were really.... weird. I remember hearing Plug Tunin' on Jay Strongman's show on Kiss (Sunday morning, before Westwood) and it just blowing my mind. Like, what was that? It was one of the first things that sounded humorous I guess, on the production as well as the vocals.

catalog

I had this on tape and caned it when I was a teenager, but I immediately stopped listening to it, binned it in fact, once I read that interview with autechre where they said they hated it and blamed it for hip hop going shit.

craner

Beast of Burden
I had this on tape and caned it when I was a teenager, but I immediately stopped listening to it, binned it in fact, once I read that interview with autechre where they said they hated it and blamed it for hip hop going shit.

It reminded them too much of their "early, cheesy shit"

catalog

I can't find the interview (@version) but I think they said they didn't like how it took hip hop into a samples motivated direction.

cos they favoured the more experimental original beats / electro-y strain.