Leo

my brother had shoulder-length hair as a teenager, and he and a friend used to enjoy annoying the local barber by standing outside and combing their long hair while gazing at their reflections in his shop window.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Out flew the web and floated wide-
Black mirror crack'd from side to side;
"The curse is come upon me," cried
The Lady of Shalott.

20230307_031959.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: sus

sufi

lala
Out flew the web and floated wide-
Black mirror crack'd from side to side;
"The curse is come upon me," cried
The Lady of Shalott.

View attachment 14526
mobile phone as mirror deserves a whole nother thread imho

check yourself out
set up your contacts
snap your expeditions
whisper sweet nothings
log yr pulse
video your moments
track your social
map your exploits
date yr dates
selfy yr knob

complete mirror of your life innit

Reactions: sus

IdleRich

IdleRich
mobile phone as mirror deserves a whole nother thread imho

Indeed. In Brooker's TV show the black mirror does undoubtedly mean the phone, he said something which I thought was fairly spot on about how recent technology feels like a drug (I suppose particularly in the way usage can be shown to have a measurable effect on the brain) and we haven't properly investigated the side effects.

I have a friend who is an artist and he told me that there is also a tool called a black mirror, made from obsidian I think - something distinct from the scrying mirror as I understood it, a real and practical tool - but I'm not sure what it helps you to do or how it helps you do it. I had acquick search on Google but didn't find anything.

luka

Indeed. In Brooker's TV show the black mirror does undoubtedly mean the phone, he said something which I thought was fairly spot on about how recent technology feels like a drug (I suppose particularly in the way usage can be shown to have a measurable effect on the brain) and we haven't properly investigated the side effects.

I have a friend who is an artist and he told me that there is also a tool called a black mirror, made from obsidian I think - something distinct from the scrying mirror as I understood it, a real and practical tool - but I'm not sure what it helps you to do or how it helps you do it. I had acquick search on Google but didn't find anything.
im sceptical about the distinction hes trying to draw but

IdleRich

IdleRich
I can find that, but I think is another thing, some sort of drawing tool. Like how artists might project an image on to paper and draw round it perhaps, i dunno. Can't find it so maybe I'm wrong though.

Benny Bunter

She who could never live save through one person,
She who could never speak save to one person,
And all the rest of her a shifting change,
A broken bundle of mirrors . . . !

I wonder if there's a direct connection with Eliot's heap of broken images? I know Pound's Hugh Selwyn Mauberley is supposed to have been a model of sorts for the Waste Land, and it must have been around the same time.

Benny Bunter

Read something the other day that I can't find now, annoyingly, about how fractured mirrors are a common trope in classic detective novels, symbolising the confusing, complex maze the detectives find themselves in while trying to figure out the case etc etc, I'm sure someone else here can flesh this out a lot more.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Read something the other day that I can't find now, annoyingly, about how fractured mirrors are a common trope in classic detective novels, symbolising the confusing, complex maze the detectives find themselves in while trying to figure out the case etc etc, I'm sure someone else here can flesh this out a lot more.
Not detective-related, but this is a crucial mirror scene. Skip to 2:30.

luka

e35d3c601fe7ec7327dcb5077353a3a2.jpg

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
from Down Below by L Carrington

for twenty-four hours, I indulged in voluntary vomitings induced by drinking orange blossom water and interrupted by a short nap. I hoped that my sorrow would be diminished by these spasms, which tore at my stomach like earthquakes. I know now that this was but one of the aspects of those vomitings: I had realised the injustice of society, I wanted first of all to cleanse myself, then go beyond its brutal ineptitude. My stomach was the seat of that society, but also the place in which I was united with all the elements of the earth. It was the mirror of the earth, the reflection of which is just as real as the person reflected. That mirror — my stomach — had to be rid of the thick layers of filth (the accepted formulas) in order properly, clearly, and faithfully to reflect the earth; and when I say “the earth,” I mean of course all the earths, stars, suns in the sky and on the earth, as well as all the stars, suns, and earths of the microbes’ solar system.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Not detective-related, but this is a crucial mirror scene. Skip to 2:30.

I did mention that one right at the start, along with The Lady From Shanghai, the climax of which I believe was an acknowledged influence on the mirror scene in Enter The Dragon, and also The Man With The Golden Gun which, by accident or design, also seems to be pretty similar.