spiral tribe - the good bits

william_kent

tbf the most irritating thing when you've been up for four days and want to crash out is 4x4 at 130. literally anything else is better, either speedcore or 95 bpm chug.

It's just way too close to the heartbeat you can't just let it wash over you.

crying kids can also make you extremely "tekno averse"

edit: i was witness to this when "Desert Storm", the Scottish techno free party sound, used to park up opposite my friends flat and play quacking duck teknival sounds all night

desert storm - storming sarajevo ( 1995 )

taking tekno to the people, people who really aren't interested, especially UK squaddies - there's a poignant moment where they play hardcore tekno to one UK squaddie in an empty camouflage netting adorned tent

sadly the mixed heritage Scottish guy has passed on, I never minded the all night techno his sound subjected us to because I'm not burdened with progeny, and maybe I may have danced to their sound while in an "altered state", but some of my child burdened friends really didn't enjoy his sound blasting out techno all day and night... anyway, R.I.P.

edit: @catalog, at the next great northern dissensus meet up you can ask me anything about the guy from Manchester in this video, but i'm not going to post anything on a public forum, etc.,

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
crying kids can also make you extremely "tekno averse"

edit: i was witness to this when "Desert Storm", the Scottish techno free party sound, used to park up opposite my friends flat and play quacking duck teknival sounds all night

desert storm - storming sarajevo ( 1995 )

taking tekno to the people, people who really aren't interested, especially UK squaddies - there's a poignant moment where they play hardcore tekno to one UK squaddie in an empty camouflage netting adorned tent

sadly the mixed heritage Scottish guy has passed on, I never minded the all night techno his sound subjected us to because I'm not burdened with progeny, and maybe I may have danced to their sound while in an "altered state", but some of my child burdened friends really didn't enjoy his sound blasting out techno all day and night... anyway, R.I.P.

I love hardcore techno but why do a lot of these free parties always play that crankly teknival end of it? Get some napalm grade jeff mills, rob hood and patric cattani down yer gullet!

Napalm 10 - Untitled

Played by Loftgroover at Helter Skelter of course.

william_kent

I can remember when Desert Storm parked opposite my flat and I was off my face and then my friend who had two under five aged children turned to me and said that "sounds like a duck quacking" and she was 100% correct correct, because what they were playing went "quack, boom, boom, boom, quack, boom ,boom, boom" ad nauseam and then I realised that MDMA / MDEA was not the correct combination for the ketamine/ smack combo that teknival desires

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I always think to myself you have a crowd who has not much to do with the norms of club culture, exploit it to its limit. play meshuggah into dj sneak into black moon into Goran dravoric. But no, they just ended up mirroring club culture, and its worst aspects.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I can remember when Desert Storm parked opposite my flat and I was off my face and then my friend who had two under five aged children turned to me and said that "sounds like a duck quacking" and she was 100% correct correct, because what they were playing went "quack, boom, boom, boom, quack, boom ,boom, boom" ad nauseam and then I realised that MDMA / MDEA was not the correct combination for the ketamine/ smack combo that teknival desires

tech house for crusties.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
ambient? ketheads will always listen to the most inane bbc ident lux end of it.

metal? always the most overpolished, most theatrical, egghead end of it.

Don't even get started on unusual music. Instead of free jazz they'll listen to, wait for it, 'math rock!'

william_kent

tech house for crusties.

not quite

I can remember Desert Storm pounding out the duck quacking teknival and then the car park would fill up about 2 -3 AM with the refuse from the Hacienda and Sankeys - glam girls and metrosexual guys would shimmy and shake to the quack quack boom boom K hole beat

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
not quite

I can remember Desert Storm pounding out the duck quacking teknival and then the car park would fill up about 2 -3 AM with the refuse from the Hacienda and Sankeys - glam girls and metrosexual guys would shimmy and shake to the quack quack boom boom K hole beat

ah fair enough. I meant more in its mind numbing blandness.

At least tech house has its moments where an occasional soul diva will poke through, a warm cord, or some electro bass. This stuff on the other hand might as well have evolved in a parallel universe with no detroit techno. Which is bizarre, given that up until 94, these guys were playing detroit, rotterdam, den haag etc. Well Spirals at least.

william_kent

ah fair enough. I meant more in its mind numbing blandness.

At least tech house has its moments where an occasional soul diva will poke through, a warm cord, or some electro bass. This stuff on the other hand might as well have evolved in a parallel universe with no detroit techno. Which is bizarre, given that up until 94, these guys were playing detroit, rotterdam, den haag etc. Well Spirals at least.

my problem with teknival is that all the "funk" has been removed

so white

too white

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
not quite

Speaking of which, what was yer proper techno sweatpit in mcr? london had knowledge/lost, Leeds had the Orbit, but I'm lost on mcr. Sankys?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
and what happened to that thunderdome club 808 state keep banging on about? Did it continue into the mid 90s?

william_kent

i never had the pleasure of attending Thunderdome because at that time I was a recluse snorting speed and dropping acid and dealing hash and psyching out to my homemade dreammachine when that was going on...but i had the pirates on blast, check out Jay Waerdon king of techno

Jay Weardon - Thunderdome 1989

all over by 1990

william_kent

big Thunderdome tune ( via pirates )

orange lemon - dreams of santa anna

which is why Todd Terry will always rule over the other Todd in my pantheon

big tune on the spinmasters 808 state radio show on sunset radio

random youtube comment:
Oldskool classic right at the start of the scene, Orange Lemon aka Todd Terry. This is my earliest memory of "raving", the Thunderdome Manchester, wicked night in a shady as f**k club, whistles,airhorns and a top night.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
big Thunderdome tune ( via pirates )

orange lemon - dreams of santa anna

which is why Todd Terry will always rule over the other Todd in my pantheon

big tune on the spinmasters 808 state radio show on sunset radio

random youtube comment:

not even a debate that. the Christian Todd does one thing well, and that's it. Whereas the God Todd laughs at us mere mortals for our conservative use of samples. @craner will you recover from this?

luka

used to buy weed from a pensioner called spaggheti dread ken. he had a ratty spiral tribe poster on this wall. im not selling drugs im providing a service. enough people smoking weed will bring capitalism to its knees? indica or sativa; do you want to go up or do you want to go down?