blissblogger

whereas the other kid is into this kind of thing

feeble little horse seems like some kind of ultimate indie name, but then another ultimate indie name will be along in a minute

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
did american internet culture ruin london? i think it did by killing off pirate radio. now people in London have kids and are kids, shock horror!

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
at a grim stage of competition (all boys) for who gets what in the car

eldest via a past relationship is just dipping into Erik B and Rakim, first few Mobb Deep releases

my brothers have been uncle dosing them all with Cabaret Voltaire because they found my eldest lad‘s gf likes The Smiths (complete Morrissey car ban, there are limits)

the most intriguing part is how much they have access to and what they narrow in on, not spoilt for riches, more the sheer range of options and the youngest currently prefers destruction as a form of artistic expression more than anything else

blissblogger

the most intriguing part is how much they have access to and what they narrow in on, not spoilt for riches, more the sheer range of options and the youngest currently prefers destruction as a form of artistic expression more than anything else

My eldest has done the historical backfilling in the past, but currently seems to be entirely about the current music moment - the latest nano-genre.

The younger kid is much more atemporal - so a playlist will move between some current indie-ish singer-songwriter thing to Nick Drake and back again. Loves a lot of his parents's 1980s type stuff like the Smiths and so forth.

My students have similarly vast listening range and tend to alternate between skimming across many zones and then deep diving into enormous knowledge about a particular artist, could be Les Rallizes Denudes, or Milton Nascimento. Certain figures have crept up to be canonic - Kate Bush, and surprising me, having grown up at a time when no cool person liked the group, Queen.

Benny Bunter

Before I had one I always thought I'd subject my kid to all the music that I like from an early age and brainwash them, but it's a complete waste of time, they just like any old shit really.

Benny Bunter

Kids like videos so if you want to brainwash your kid into liking good music you'd have to go out of your way to put them on good videos and I can't really be arsed cos I don't watch them myself, what's the point?

bun-u

Trumpet Police
…but generally a much llighter relationship to music - ‘why would you care THAT much about music?’

luka

corpsey drill is the only thing that sounds fun like being a kid. who wants to be drippy? i cant get my head around it

Benny Bunter

I'm hardly gonna put trap dancehall and Bronx drill videos on for my eight year old son am I? Inappropriate age content.