thirdform

pass the sick bucket
It's not a 'fine' line though is it, it's a big fat red marker line. 99.9999 percent of people turn it off after 10 seconds as quickly as possible

I mean 75% of people abandoned jungle for house when it emerged, if you look at it like that.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
slide away is the hipsters choice but wonderwall is the one which will live forever thats written in the stars. one of the best songs of all time.

Oasis are a hipster band. This is why Kulkarni pisses me off sometimes. Too many concessions to Englishness!

If it wasn't for student indie rock, there would have been no supporting structure for Oasis to gum onto. They owe their entire fortunes to students, even if they didn't originate from that milieu. Rock music was entirely dead within the working class of this country.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
so yes you may be able to reclaim wonderwall and reevaluate it, but as a whole, Oasis are a hipster band. Even their anti-hip hop racism is hipster racism. Just vocalising what most indie fans will pretend to deny. their id.

catalog

To me, Oasis were a school band. As in, they were incredibly popular when I was 14 or so.

I remember being at uni and my friend (Mr westcuut) was saying he wanted to listen to something that was not oasis big had the same sort of energy and was "now" so I told him to buy the strokes new album cos they were banging on about it in nme. He hated it, I hated it, stopped looking at nme at that point.

Benny Bunter

Looking at that list just now I couldn't remember which one Listen Up was (it's a 'deep cut') but as soon as I did and I heard the chorus in my head every hair on the back of my neck stood up.

blissblogger

It would be terrible if they were into pharaoh sanders or something

Well it's not like they've haven't been exposed to all that - Miles Davis and so forth. But it's all been water off a duck's back. Completely impervious to it, they are.

When they were really little and I was doing lot of childcare, I would be playing electronic avant stuff, Stockhausen, Ligeti etc and they didn't object, it didn't seem to bother them at all. But nor does it appear to have laid down a bedrock of avant-susceptibility in their tender impressionable psyches.

Another thing I used to do was play in their vicinity things like Steeleye Span's "The Blacksmith" . The idea was to awaken English race-memory and stave off the overwhelming influence of growing up in America. I imagined that the keening immemorial lament of Maddy Prior would pierce their tiny souls and plant a small seed. Britfolk, and maybe UK comedy, would inoculate, against the surrounding culture. But It doesn't seem to have had any effect, they are American through and through. (Although the youngest does love The Detectorists).

That said, they did enjoy jigging around to this tune (but it's really more Status Quo boogie with Morris dancers ankle bells on than a trad. arr )

I think when you are young you are into music either for the emotional-identificatory element (the youngest) or the rush (the eldest). That's a bit of a over-broad generalisation, but my own listening opened up a lot when I was no longer looking to staunch my emotional voids, as it were. Probably when I was younger I wouldn't have had much time for the avant-stuff, or African music or whatever - I'd be looking for the emo connection or the instant-rush, whether it was Stooges or the Prodigy.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I think when you are young you are into music either for the emotional-identificatory element (the youngest) or the rush (the eldest). That's a bit of a over-broad generalisation, but my own listening opened up a lot when I was no longer looking to staunch my emotional voids, as it were. Probably when I was younger I wouldn't have had much time for the avant-stuff, or African music or whatever - I'd be looking for the emo connection or the instant-rush, whether it was Stooges or the Prodigy.

yeah this is why whenever I try to listen to @Pearsall type 4x4 nutty northern rave music i can only listen to the ones I used to listen to with my visually impaired online mates in Leeds and Canada. If I try to seek out anything new, I can just feel the manipulation starting to creep in. innocence will never be captured again.

DJ Fury - Lemonade Raygun (back room mix)

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
incidentally this is why I don't get the trance revival amongst zoomers and certain millennials. the whole point of trance is that it works on the principle of suspending disbelief. Way more than ardkore, it's super druggy, the build/breakdown/release peaks are really predictable and rote. And you have to do it for every track, every melodic breakdown. Every track you have to tell yourself, yes, I haven't heard this before. this is different to techno where the whole point is the changing same, the pulsing groove. That question is rendered moot cos techno largely eschews kitschy arpeggiated harmonies.

Trance is probably the most saccharine music next to eurodance. Which should mean its worth talking about, but it just doesn't have the racial/social/producer-raver tension of nuum musics. They aren't forced to go darkside, its a voluntary choice.

Talking about post-94 trance, obvs.