Slipstream (genre of literature)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Isn't it just what used to be called 'speculative' fiction?
I thought that was an umbrella term for any fiction not set in the 'real world' as such, so it could include supernatural horror, sci-fi, fantasy, alternative history, magic realism...

Timewriter

I thought that was an umbrella term for any fiction not set in the 'real world' as such, so it could include supernatural horror, sci-fi, fantasy, alternative history, magic realism...
Well, we could debate such terminology til the cows come home, some labels being both 'open' and interchangeable.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

Speculative fiction is a category of fiction that, in its broadest sense, encompasses the genres that depart from reality,[1] such as in the context of supernatural, futuristic, and other imaginative realms.[2] This umbrella category includes, but is not limited to, science fiction, fantasy, horror, superhero fiction, alternate history, utopian and dystopian fiction, and supernatural fiction, as well as combinations thereof (for example, science fantasy).[3] The term has been used with a variety of meanings for works of literature.[1]

So slipstream is definitely meant to be something a bit more specific than this - it definitely doesn't include Harry Potter, Star Wars or the Marvel universe - even if its elements are nonetheless still pretty nebulous.

you

"This genre is not category SF; it is not even "genre" SF. Instead, it is a contemporary kind of writing which has its face against consensus reality. It is fantastic, surreal sometimes, speculative on occasion, but not rigorously so. It does not aim to provoke a "sense of wonder" or to systematically extrapolate in the manner of classic science fiction.
Instead, this is a kind of writing which simply makes you feel very strange; the way that living in the late twentieth century makes you feel very strange; the way that living in the late twentieth century makes you feel, if you are a person of a certain sensibility. We could call this kind of fiction Novels of a Postmodern Sensibility...for the sake of convenience and argument, we will call these books "slipstream."" - Bruce Sterling

Sterling's list isn't helpful at all - I don't think the question of 'examples of 'slipstream' books' is helpful either but, yet,.... Nonetheless, I can't help but read Sterling's lines and recall M. John Harrison, Nina Allan, Joel Lane, Aickman, Ligotti.... these porous horrors or 'strange' fictions (some often called weird fiction, which I contest as Ligotti and Lane have vastly unthinkable vistas on offer beyond that crafty misanthrope).

Perhaps talking about particular titles would be a good thing. For example, I can't help but notice Iain Bank's The Wasp Factory - which has dated like a peach in the sun and is simplistic and problematic when revisiting today. Which titles no longer make one feel strange? What contemporary titles might one add to this list?

IdleRich

IdleRich
It sounds fascinating.

Also it made me think, for the first time in years, of the alcoholic, bohemian author X Trapnell in A Dance To The Music of Time. Which is no bad thing albeit totally irrelevant.

jenks

thread death
It sounds fascinating.

Also it made me think, for the first time in years, of the alcoholic, bohemian author X Trapnell in A Dance To The Music of Time. Which is no bad thing albeit totally irrelevant.
Never a bad thing to be reminded of poor old X and, by association, Pamela, both truly brilliant creations.

luka

imagine killing corpsey over a period of 78 hours with torture then making a novel written by @woops about it