US Election 2024

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I dunno - do Americans pronounce the name 'St-eye-n' or 'Steen'? (I'm aware the 'St' would be pronounced 'Sht' in German - I'm just asking about the vowel sound.)
Oh we do the former, I was just making a Young Frankenstein joke.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I've noticed people say Harvey Wine- steen though, why is that? How about the other similarly named sex offender, is he Epsteen or Epsteyn?

And surely not Albert Einsteen?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I've noticed people say Harvey Wine- steen though, why is that? How about the other similarly named sex offender, is he Epsteen or Epsteyn?

And surely not Albert Einsteen?
Yeah, it's a weird one. I've found Americans will tend to say 'steen' when it's Americans with Yiddish names, but it seems to be different when they're talking about native German speakers with those sorts of names, as in Einstein.

Leo

I don't think it's a matter of what "Americans tend to say", it depends on how the family pronounces is. Some families pronounce one way, others pronounce it the other. You hear both pronunciations all the time.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I don't think it's a matter of what "Americans tend to say", it depends on how the family pronounces is. Some families pronounce one way, others pronounce it the other. You hear both pronunciations all the time.
OK, I didn't know that. But in US media I've tended to hear 'Ep-steen' and 'Wine-steen'.

Leo

Right, but one of the the Democratic senators from California is Diane Feinstein ("stine"). "Steen" might be a little more common when it appears as part of a longer name, but people with the last name of only Stein usually pronounce it "stine".