US Election 2024

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Interesting, the possibility that, if his above statement is accurate, this ostensibly ersatz moral attack from social progressives may actually earn RFK sympathy from the cultural right wing, and perhaps even have a net effect of making him more electable. Thoughts?

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I mean, in the clip, he does say "“COVID-19 is targeted to attack Caucasians and black people. The people who are most immune are Ashkenazi Jews and Chinese.”

If the "is targeted to attack Caucasians and black people" bit is an offhand mistake, and if he really meant something more like "is biomolecularly structured in such a way that Caucasian and black people happen to be more vulnerable", then maybe his defense holds some water, regarding any implicit accusations that the virus is designed to have a certain effect.

Aside from his wording and intentions, theres also the matter of the soundness of that study he referenced.

version

Apparently some Republicans are convinced RFK Jr.'s going to split the Democrat vote, but Dem voters don't actually like him and it's mostly Republicans who seem likely to vote for him.

IdleRich

IdleRich
So... first primary; Trump wins bigly and Ramaswamy drops out. De Santis second despite predictions it would be Halley.

IdleRich

IdleRich
People are sharing this breakdown...

2,083,000 registered voters in Iowa
718,000 registered republicans
only 102,000 voted today
53,219 voted for Trump - almost 2.5%

I don't know what that means though. How many normally vote in a primary? Especially when the result is seemingly a foregone conclusion.

IdleRich

IdleRich
As far as I can tell the situation is as follows.

Unless he is somehow prevented by his mounting legal problems (or he has a heart attack or something) Trump is certain to be the Republican candidate.

If Trump is the candidate it looks like fifty-fifty via Biden.

I have no idea how to evaluate the likelihood of his legal problems affecting him. Would anyone care to have a stab at putting a percentage on it.

Also, suppose Trump is somehow ruled out, would it happen before he is the official candidate or while he is the official candidate and how much difference will that make?

Also, suppose he actually wins the election, will all legal problems vanish? I find it extremely hard to picture an actual president in the dock. Even if it is not literally the case that the president is immune to prosecution my feeling is that in the event it will be what happens in practice.

mixed_biscuits

2,083,000 registered voters in Iowa
718,000 registered republicans
only 102,000 voted today
53,219 voted for Trump - almost 2.5%

I don't know what that means though. How many normally vote in a primary? Especially when the result is seemingly a foregone conclusion.
It probably means Trump's percentage is actually higher...Republicans live in a society (unlike Dem individualists) and have a good idea of relative candidate popularities. Given an awareness that Trump is way ahead supporters of less popular candidates would be motivated to vote while Trump supporters would be demotivated from voting e.g. if they have a shift at the church soup kitchen while the polling booths are open. Max true Trump percentage could be roughly 90%.

IdleRich

IdleRich
DeSantis has dropped out of the race and endorsed Trump, Trump immediately changed his rhetoric by 180 degrees and said what a great campaign he'd run and also that he would retire the DeSanctimonious name... what happens if Haley drops out and the candidate is decided? It would be kinda boring, but is that an advantage for the candidate or would it be better if they were campaigning and battling all the way along staying in the public eye cos there was something happening?

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think that Haley is saying the right thing, basically the other two are both old they're backwards looking, Trump is always going on about the past and revenge and grudges and the very name Make America Great Again is harking to the past. She is young, they are old, they are the past, she is the future. In terms of a message it's the obvious thing to use.