The Prose Stylist

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
This is sorta whats motivating me know, in terms of writing fiction. I like the idea of an array of unrealistically idiosyncratic characters whose function is not to develop as natural human beings or along traditional heroes' journeys, but whose function instead is to collide with one another, as with clinamen, and to engender complex narrative structures and assemblages.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
But if that can be achieved with actual empathic character development and pathos, it would arguably be all the more powerful.

mixed_biscuits

This is sorta whats motivating me know, in terms of writing fiction. I like the idea of an array of unrealistically idiosyncratic characters whose function is not to develop as natural human beings or along traditional heroes' journeys, but whose function instead is to collide with one another, as with clinamen, and to engender complex narrative structures and assemblages.
If you are indeed writing a novel about Dissensus, I want description rights.

• Haha
Reactions: sus

william_kent

Well my novel hasn't caught up with the malelesbian era of the dissensus canon yet - but who know? Your wishes may be fulfilled.

but surely you CAN put the biscuits girl character in a situation where she has to debate whether she wants to care for the product of a non-consensual liaison with a crack addict?

• Haha
Reactions: sus

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
but surely you CAN put the biscuits girl character in a situation where she has to debate whether she wants to care for the product of a non-consensual liaison with a crack addict?
Well someone clearly hacked into my google drive and saw my draft!

william_kent

I am getting the feeling that @Clinamenic's forthcoming novel may just piss over J. Joyce, S. Beckett, T. Pynchon, E. Davies, B.S. Johnson, and W. S. Burroughs

not that I have peeked or anything

mixed_biscuits

Indeed, half way through the novel she is accosted by an oily eugenicist called Killiam Went who, with an unwanted clammy hand on her shoulder and through sepulchral halitosis, attempts to persuade her that babies of 'low birth' are undeserving of love and care. Luckily, she is trained in literary analysis and correctly interprets his milk-bottle glasses as confirmation of moral shortsightedness before brushing him off into the river Lee.

luka

dissensus wouldn't make a good novel but it would make a brilliant film. all you would need to do is
have actors reading the lines of each character. on their own in their own rooms reading the stupid words they write on here.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
dissensus wouldn't make a good novel but it would make a brilliant film. all you would need to do is
have actors reading the lines of each character. on their own in their own rooms reading the stupid words they write on here.
Russell Crowe would voice @Corpsey

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The purported originality of Inception says infinitely more about the cinematic vocabulary of those describing it as such than it does about the film itself. Alas, a promising premise and some impressive zero-gravity imagery does not a mind-bending sci-fi spectacle make, and heaps of graceless exposition makes this experience akin to what Nick Schager described upon the film’s release as “instruction manual cinema.” Here, Nolan’s better instincts are strangled by his apparent fear that audiences wouldn’t “get it,” and the result is a minor tragedy of wasted opportunities and verbose bombast that frequently collapses into self-parody. Humanick

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
A dreamlike dive into darkness marks the opening of The Dark Knight’s exploration of our culture of fear, with light eclipsing said darkness at the end. The death of Heath Ledger inevitably overshadows but also enriches the proceedings, but Nolan’s ability to tap into the cultural zeitgeist is also chief among this stirring, if flawed, superhero crime saga. For every moment of mythic frisson, there’s one where the characters themselves seem to be play-acting, with the bit parts especially threating, with unsettling frequency, to break the spell. Humanick