Are you tracking your performance?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I bought a fitbit last week in the hope that it might addict me to exercise.

So far it seems to be working a bit. I'll take the stairs instead of the lift just to get extra steps in. I'll cycle a lot faster to get my heart rate going. (Already this concerns me as obviously just rolling along on a bike is one of life's serene pleasures.)

And I'm obsessed with all the metrics. The sleep one—how much REM have I got in? How much deep sleep? Etc.

It's made me wonder if I could be a lot more productive in less boring areas of my life, such as reading the complete works of Thackaray, if I had a little wrist band that vibrated jubilantly whenever I finished a chapter.

Probably.

But at what cost?

I've done 4,584 steps today.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
And now I'm thinking. How am I going to get 5,000 more in? I'll have to go on a walk after work. There's no getting around it.

sus

All deontological self-tracking ends in surrogation and goodharting. Abide by the spirit, follow your heart, and entrain your eye to the ultimate end.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Sleep score: 70 (Fair)

Time asleep: 6hr 9 mins, 1h 5mins awake
Deep and REM: 45 minutes 18% REM
Restoration: 82% below resting, 17% restless

luka

6 hours is not fair, it's appalling. no wonder you're cracking up under the strain.

luka

you should be sleeping 10 hours as a rule. 8 is barely adequate. 6 is going to have you living inside a nightmare.