Are you tracking your performance?

luka

i got out of the coffee game when they all started insisting on weighing every shot dry (as coffee grounds) and wet (as shot of espresso) plus timing the shot and various other things so what was a fun job where you talk to customers and build rapports and have a laugh became something for disgusting anal retentive freaks who never smile

mixed_biscuits

the absolute worst quantification is the american-originated thing of rating people out of ten. has this ever happened in any other culture anywhere on the planet in history? it's hard to think of examples. and it's a product of perhaps the 00s, at a guess, not something deep-rooted. the cleverest thing the red scare girls go on about is the binary vs the out of ten scale.
It's the Top Trumpsification of the universe. Top Trumps came out in 1978. Dudley Moore was inspired to rate Bo Derek 10 out of 10 in the film 10 which came out in 1979.

Top%20Trumps%20Ace%20Trumps.jpg.opt476x344o0%2C0s476x344.jpg
4ce14d33-be03-4b7a-abfe-0d8c48065933.jpg

craner

Beast of Burden
Two things I have noticed recently about my performance:
  • Ever since I brought my expensive BMW I have had writer's block;
  • Every time I post a link to something I have written on Twitter/X these days, the number of readers actually drops rather than increases.
I don't know what these things mean, but I'm sure they mean something.

luka

you shouldn't be ashamed if its flash and you shouldnt be ashamed if its bottom of the line

craner

Beast of Burden
But do you think having it has killed my creativity? And is this a symptom of a final, irreversible corruption of the soul?

mixed_biscuits

I don't know what these things mean, but I'm sure they mean something.
Do you know any hairdressers who are successful writers?

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
You don’t lease?

Get a new motor every 2 years, rag it, reduced maintenance bs, oh and rag it some more before the upgrade

What’s not to love

version

But do you think having it has killed my creativity? And is this a symptom of a final, irreversible corruption of the soul?

Nah it's not "devil mix" you know? I called it that because it sounded evil to me innit. But I don't call it "devil mix" anymore because when I started calling it that I started to get lots of bad luck, if you understand. I called it that because it sounded evil but really, why didn't I call it "god mix" then? Because I don't believe in the devil. The more and the more you say his name, believe it or not, he'll come closer to you. And that is the truth, I swear I am not joking. "Bass mix" I call them now, cos it's just bass. The devil mix brought me too much luck. I was selling the devil mix of Eskimo and they were selling so fast. I bought stuff with the money, bought a car and crashed it. So it just turned me off.

-- Craner

craner

Beast of Burden
Nah it's not "devil mix" you know? I called it that because it sounded evil to me innit. But I don't call it "devil mix" anymore because when I started calling it that I started to get lots of bad luck, if you understand. I called it that because it sounded evil but really, why didn't I call it "god mix" then? Because I don't believe in the devil. The more and the more you say his name, believe it or not, he'll come closer to you. And that is the truth, I swear I am not joking. "Bass mix" I call them now, cos it's just bass. The devil mix brought me too much luck. I was selling the devil mix of Eskimo and they were selling so fast. I bought stuff with the money, bought a car and crashed it. So it just turned me off.

-- Craner

It augurs ill

version

If I make a list or track something, I become increasingly neurotic and the list begins to assert itself. I start worrying how the list looks, how it's formatted, whether it's up to date. I start doing things for the sake of the list.