shakahislop

everyone's relationship to their own image and appearance changed for good in the 2010s. auto-photography became a key mode of expression. it was hard to avoid, in the end you'd need to take a selfie for one reason or another. even if you didn't there would be photos of you on facebook or in whatsapp group chats. the dominant trends in fashion etc were the result of mediating life through a phone camera lens. a lot of cultural energy went into all of this.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
I was in Dubai in 2011. Horrible experience all round, including this being one of the main songs played on every loudspeaker everywhere

Taxis, clubs, malls. My tormentor Ryan Seacrest was the dj on the main radio station

The Rhianna one was just as big but I kinda liked that one

Was staying at a place called Sports City

sports-city-75_xl.jpg

Think I was in the Golf Tower or maybe the Tennis one.

Was about a 40 min taxi ride to get to anywhere worth going to. Ran about 20 quid one way and I didn't have much money. The apartment building was under construction and my gf had just moved in to start working as a server at the newly opened Mahiki Dubai. There was no TV hooked up and the pool on the roof never got filled until after I left. Literally fuck all to do for a several mile radius. Walked to the center one day and it took about 2 hours across barren scrub. Everyone's heard about Dubai, the dark underbelly, the slave labor, everyone's seen the pics of guys in gold plated Lambos with pet cheetahs in the passenger seat, but until you actually go there, it's this whole other level of mind bending excess and emptiness. The place was designed for spending obscene amounts of money and to be seen doing it. It's like any pretense of humility people laid claims to had been cast to the floor and forgotten about. Fuck the facade, let's go all in. In many ways my experience there encapsulates my view of the 2010s perfectly. There was a hollowing out of society and culture. Felt like Pavlov was directing some demented play. People had become so brainwashed by wealth worship. Dubai feels like a city designed by kids in Sim City with the unlimited cheat code activated. The end game of an infantilized culture.

On top of all that, me and the gf basically broke up right on the 2nd day, but for whatever reason I ended up staying about 6 more hellish weeks. Maybe longer, can't even remember anymore.

Live n learn, eh! 😒

maxi

This feels more scorched earth 2020s.

How about this from '09?

Never understood why that song was so big, to me it felt like and evoked absolutely nothing. even now where there should be some accidental nostalgia attached it still feels like nothing. But maybe that fits with how some view the 10s

maxi

So 2008-16 was the 2010s, and 2016-2019 was the 2020s but since 2020 it has also felt like a new period. 2020 onwards is the 2030s I guess

craner

Beast of Burden
So 2008-16 was the 2010s, and 2016-2019 was the 2020s but since 2020 it has also felt like a new period. 2020 onwards is the 2030s I guess

No, it's the counterargument, the one that my fiancee makes: don't be an idiot, Craner, the 2020s started in January 2020, when the pandemic locked us all in our houses, crashed the global economy again and transformed the relationship between the indivdual and the state.

craner

Beast of Burden
A key feeling of the 2010s was fatalism. But that same decade also gave individuals the tools to fight back against fatalism.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Rendered by the orig Doom engine

How apt!
*nasal nerd voice*

The Doom engine is technically a pseudo-3D engine, and the monsters in it are sprites (animated 2D images). I was thinking more of the original Quake, or a flying game of around the same era called Descent:

descent-2.jpg

IdleRich

IdleRich
craner said:
The failure of the UK in the 2010s is demonstrated by the fact that stand up comedians with names like Sean and Russell became the unaknowledged legislators of the age.

The other day we were in Edinburgh and the Fringe was on, we were persuaded to check a show so we did. This guy had part of his act based on putting a made up name giving a quote on his flyer, and he made the name by selecting the most common forename and surname of British comedians from panel shows - and sure enough the amalgam was named Russell something.

craner

Beast of Burden
The other day we were in Edinburgh and the Fringe was on, we were persuaded to check a show so we did. This guy had part of his act based on putting a made up name giving a quote on his flyer, and he made the name by selecting the most common forename and surname of British comedians from panel shows - and sure enough the amalgam was named Russell something.

At least he wasn't doing a show based on his hilarious obvservations about being a new parent, I guess.