The TV President

mixed_biscuits

Whose economic policy would you choose to revive the nation: that of an aborted lawyer cum poet who skipped military service on account of a 'weak chest' or a university professor whose taught courses on growing the economy? It's a no-brainer.

P.S. That first guy is Marx. Someone with NO formal economics qualifications.

Hopefully he'll succeed in guiding Argentina out of its inflationary doldrums and help return to the position it held in the early 20th century, e.g. one of the wealthiest countries in the world.
F_YUGrkXIAAWhmg

IdleRich

IdleRich
There's concern Farage heading to the jungle's an attempt to launder his reputation, laying the groundwork for his acceptance into the Tory party and eventual rise to PM.
Yeah but looks like the viewing figures on the first day were so catastrophic that they put paid to that idea in one fell swoop. I guess the basic point is that even people who vote for Farage instinctively know that whatever your politics he's just too much of a cunt to actually spend even a second in his presence, even virtually or by proxy or whatever you call it when he's on telly.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Arguably does Alex Jones as well as Alex Jones
Did everyone see that thing where he had a board with the names of all the - in his eyes - useless departments in government stuck to it and he went along ripping them off the board - "goodbye to ministry of culture" - and throwing them away? And there was one that was quite hard to remove and he said "goodbye to you too - even if you resist" I thought that was pretty good actually. Though maybe I need a bit more data before I form a full picture of him.

germaphobian

It would be interesting to see a real anarcho-capitalist experiment even just from a scientific point of view. I mean, it has been a meme ideology thus far with most people claiming that it could only lead to some sort of Elysium type of disaster. Could be true, but, hey, lets see. No such thing has ever really been tried. We tested communism in couple of places (including my own country), nay-sayer turned out to be right about that, now maybe it's time for the opposite extreme.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It would be interesting to see a real anarcho-capitalist experiment even just from a scientific point of view. I mean, it has been a meme ideology thus far with most people claiming that it could only lead to some sort of Elysium type of disaster. Could be true, but, hey, lets see. No such thing has ever really been tried. We tested communism in couple of places (including my own country), nay-sayer turned out to be right about that, now maybe it's time for the opposite extreme.
"True anarcho-capitalism" is an absurd and naive fantasy, because capitalism - at least as it's currently constituted - depends on the state for its existence. Companies run by the world's richest man benefit from billions in subsidies and preferential loans from the US government every year. Subsidies for fossil fuel companies around the world amount to some seven trillion dollars. Investment banks behave the way they do because they know that if they fuck up through overexposure and pisspoor risk management, governments will simply bail them out. Then consider the state's funding of education for the employees that capital relies on, the building and upkeep of roads they use to get to work, and (in most developed countries) the funding of at least most of the healthcare costs that are necessary for a healthy workforce (with the notable exception of the US, where people earning 80k pay a quarter of their gross income in health insurance, and where people who can't afford that can be stuck with a bill for 20k just for the routine birth of a completely healthy baby). Fire services, police, waste disposal... remove all that and what's left? Not an ecosystem conducive to capitalism.

So capitalism can't exist without the state. Maybe it could survive in some very localised, small-scale kind of way, but it would be the end of the kind of 'heroic capitalism' that an-cap types get hard over.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
And if he's not simply bullshitting about laying claim to the Falklands (which he almost certainly is), and actually wants a redo of 1982, then he's an even bigger bullshitter, because there's nothing more statist than one state waging war against another.

william_kent

Argentina's president-elect not only appears to think David Cameron is the UK's prime minister (and/or chancellor) - he's also confusing David Cameron with James Cameron.

^ from popbitch via pagina|12

1700944257348.png

This afternoon's statement from the Office of the President-Elect of the Argentine Republic (the Twitter account for the official communication of Javier Milei) detailed the new president's communications with Joe Biden (United States); Voldimir Zelensky (Ukraine), whom he renamed "Volodomir"; Dina Boluarte (Peru); and the chancellor of a foreign country, who is himself a former head of state: the foreign secretary of the United Kingdom, David Cameron. Although the statement presented it differently. "In turn, he held a communication with British Chancellor James Cameron, who joined in congratulating him on his victory ," the fifth paragraph reads. Milei's press gave Cameron the name James, the film director.