Stoner Rock that I will like

IdleRich

IdleRich
Fuck it, might as well have a thread

I really like this

And this is essentially the same so I like it too

The bits I don't like as much are the vocals and when the riffing speeds up and moves ashy from the lower tones. But when it's super deep with grinding slow-mo ribs it's almost like ambient but approached from a different direction or something. Certainly a sound I could nod out or drift off to, just really relaxing and pleasurable somehow. I think. that - off the top of my head - the two noises I find just most inherently attractive and just... super nice in music are the bleep of acid and that kind of distorted fuzz sound in these tunes, there is something about that is just so relaxing and lovely, it's like the sonic equivalent of a warm bath or stroking a cat or necking a few valium and a couple of glasses of whisky. It's really just a simply nice sound which is pretty old-fashioned concept, or at least something most music doesn't bother with any more.

Looking at the comments in these vids there are loads of bands that keep coming up such as Om, Dopehead, Dopeman, Dopecunt, Dopechair etc etc but I'm obviously not gonna listen to all of them. I'm not sure how much I need... but is it just loads more of the same or is there some that is the same but different?

shakahislop

one of the parameters with this kind of thing is slowness. it can get a lot slower. electric wizard and sleep are on the faster side of things i would say

shakahislop

Bong is what i put on when i want some of these kind of thing for the last couple of years but there are two problems with them which are that i) you have to avoid the bits where there's singing and ii) i can never remember what song is what. this one is great but there is an unforgivably cheesy bit about a minute in that is hard to deal with

IdleRich

IdleRich
I just listened to something called Windhand that was getting a lot of love in the comments but I didn't like the one I listened to quite as much.

I saw Earth and Sunn years and years ago now - I remember Earth were particularly good in that they seemed to do everything Sunn but somehow with really nice melodies mingled into them.

By the way, if we're gonna do this thread we gotta keep some standards, like we can't have people using words such as heaviosity or riffage
etc

IdleRich

IdleRich
I just tired out Om but the one that I arbitrarily selected didn't do it for me so their chance is gone, gonged off, life can be hard like that I guess. Gonna give a spin to that one you said had a cheesy bit @shaka - see if I can spot it.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I wonder if it's coincidence that the ones I like the best are the bands who did things called Dopesmoker and Dopethrone while the stuff that apparently takes itself more seriously with Eastern sounds in the mix to signal pseudo(?)mysticism aren't hitting so hard.

I'm sure I've said quite a few times that I basically never consume marijuana in any of its forms but I'm almost salivating at the prospect of combining this sound with Xanax or Valium, has anyone ever tried that? Seems like a match made in heaven.

IdleRich

IdleRich
@version you mentioned Black Sabbath but do you remember that guy called Ty Segal? I remember when he was touring the UK about twelve or so years back almost everyone I knew went to see him and Liza dragged me along to more than one gig I think (if I recall correctly he was mainly known for the sludge-like heaviosity of his relentless riffage but he was also an insane drummer and he had some side projects so he could show off his virtuosity on that instrument - and the upshot was I had to see at lest two of his bands) which left me fairly cold at the time (though it was fun enough cos every gig was packed with people I knew) but I think that I've listened to some of his stuff over the intervening years and come round to it a bit.

There must be Japanese stuff that's relevant... that band that @william_kent likes and which I have an album by called Minami Deutsch* have moments when the guitar sound is just as thick as any of those tunes above (try from about 5.35 here) but the beats are completely different... at least on the ones I know.

But how about Boris or Rallizes Denudes? Do they have tunes that fit into this sound or are they more idiosyncratic but just happen to have their own kind of heaviosity at times?

*by the way, have you listened to that Fortune Goodies album much WK? It sounded ace from those clips you put up before and I keep thinking that I need to listen to it properly at some point, or properly just fuck and buy the thing. Great tip anyway, thanks for that.

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
If it's the slow, hypnotic dirges you're into, try some Funeral Doom. It's more cold and melancholy than warm and trippy though, and your tolerance for death growls and 90s keyboard sounds might be a factor.

IdleRich

IdleRich
]
If it's the slow, hypnotic dirges you're into, try some Funeral Doom. It's more cold and melancholy than warm and trippy though, and your tolerance for death growls and 90s keyboard sounds might be a factor.

Well I checked and it's cool but you're I prefer the warmer ones, those ones are like, a fuzzy warm ecstasy bath for the ears.

william_kent

how about Boris

Sunn O))) & Boris - Her Lips Were Wet With Venom (SatanOscillateMyMetallicSonatas)

Boris With Merzbow - Sun Baked Snow Cave

on the Merzbow collaboration they noodle around for 16 minutes but then the hiss slowly seeps in, there's a couple of minutes of bass slowly being increased in volume accompanied by some space rock oscillator whooshes and then by 21 minutes we're enveloped in slow motion low frequency fuzz ( a long winded way of saying skip the first 16 minutes... )

Boris With Michio Kurihara - Rafflesia
too pretty to be metal? heavy dream pop?

Sunn O))) & Boris - Blood Swamp (TLOC Edit)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
This stuff has made up the bulk of music I've listened to while working for the last few years.

I love the stuff that includes what I might lamely call 'Eastern' melodies - this is a duo that includes a Greek dude, I think:

Babylonian-inspired stoner/doom, the whole album's great:

Not 'Eastern-sounding' as such, but these guys have been going for 30+ years. There should definitely be more of this sort of music with female vocalists:

If you can get past the ludicrous name, this Welsh band are pretty great. I love the contrast between the woman's very high, pure, almost classical-sounding voice and the sludgy metal guitars:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Ha, three bands out of four reference either weed or acid in the name, and the other includes the word 'stone'.

Meanwhile, in Cocaine Corner, here are two great stoner-ish covers of classics of the genre:

IdleRich

IdleRich
This stuff has made up the bulk of music I've listened to while working for the last few years.

I love the stuff that includes what I might lamely call 'Eastern' melodies - this is a duo that includes a Greek dude, I think:

Babylonian-inspired stoner/doom, the whole album's great:

Not 'Eastern-sounding' as such, but these guys have been going for 30+ years. There should definitely be more of this sort of music with female vocalists:

If you can get past the ludicrous name, this Welsh band are pretty great. I love the contrast between the woman's very high, pure, almost classical-sounding voice and the sludgy metal guitars:

Amon is a god I guess right? But when you have that band called Amon Thingy? are they named for that god or are they referencing the legendary kraut band with that word in their name? Or both?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Ha, three bands out of four reference either weed or acid in the name, and the other includes the word 'stone'.

Meanwhile, in Cocaine Corner, here are two great stoner-ish covers of classics of the genre:

Oh it's the JJ Cale song...

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah - it kind if works, don't you think?

I thought it was ok as a song, but it's not really as deep as the tunes that I'm digging in this genre. I keep returning to that word deep but it really is the one that works for me here. I liked the ones with really grinding guitar sounds that it seems you can fall into and this Cocaine one is just too much of a normal song for me to do that. I'm being pretty picky here I know, none of the ones I've listened to so far have really come close to doing the things I liked about the first ones as well as they did. I get that that is totally arbitrary though, plenty of the others are cool tunes in their own right and I'm pleased to hear them, it's just right now I heard a specific thing that was a pleasant surprise and which grabbed me quite hard and so I want more of that.