Stoner Rock that I will like

0bleak

I saw sun o once boring as fuck. Smoke machines were working hard though
I saw them once with Jesu opening. Amazingly, I found Jesu even more boring than Sunn - Jesu reminded me more of a typical rock band.
Broadrick also played with Sunn which was amusing just to see O'Malley pointing to which notes to play next since they obviously had plenty of time to get there.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I saw them once with Jesu opening. Amazingly, I found Jesu even more boring than Sunn - Jesu reminded me more of a typical rock band.
Broadrick also played with Sunn which was amusing just to see O'Malley pointing to which notes to play next since they obviously had plenty of time to get there.
It would be funny as hell if you made a single audio file out of every Sunn 0))) studio album in order, compressed it into three minutes and pitched it up by about an octave and a half, and the result was just a completely typical 12-bar blues riff in C.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I saw sun o once boring as fuck. Smoke machines were working hard though
How did you let yourself get talked into going to a Sunn 0))) gig? It sounds like the least luka-ish kind of entertainment possible.

I would ask if a girl was involved, but the fact of it being a Sunn 0))) gig pretty much rules that out.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
This is pretty great:

Turkish-influenced (I guess?) Balkan psychedelic rock, with an emphasis on the jazzy end of things, some nice fuzzy guitars (but not, like, Hawkwind-like levels), rather than oppressive doomy riffs. Some nice non-rock instruments (horns etc.) and lovely echo-y desert-rock-sounding guitars that make you think of a Morricone soundtrack or something. I'm trying to think of a way of saying 'a blend of the Eastern and Western' without that sounding like a dreadful travel-writing cliché, but that's kind of what it is, so there you go.

Edit: some heavy doominess in the penultimate track, actually.

woops

is not like other people
This is pretty great:

Turkish-influenced (I guess?) Balkan psychedelic rock, with an emphasis on the jazzy end of things, some nice fuzzy guitars (but not, like, Hawkwind-like levels), rather than oppressive doomy riffs. Some nice non-rock instruments (horns etc.) and lovely echo-y desert-rock-sounding guitars that make you think of a Morricone soundtrack or something. I'm trying to think of a way of saying 'a blend of the Eastern and Western' without that sounding like a dreadful travel-writing cliché, but that's kind of what it is, so there you go.

Edit: some heavy doominess in the penultimate track, actually.
just as well your a successful arms dealer you're never gonna make it as a music journalist

william_kent

OM uses little to no guitar at all:

the worst of both worlds: stoner rock meets UK Steppas dubwize

I actually bought the "dubplates" of the Alpha & Omega ( normally reliable UK steppas ) remixes of OM

boring

OM - Advaitic Dubplate: Ababa Dub ( a remix of OM - Addis from Advaitic Songs )

zzzzz

OM - Advaitic Dubplate: Garden Of Gethsemane ( remix of tune of the same name from OM - Advaitic Songs )

I buy Alpha & Omega vinyl ( and CDs ) on sight, but in this case I was mightily disappointed, I can only presume the source material was extremely lacking

william_kent

It would be funny as hell if you made a single audio file out of every Sunn 0))) studio album in order, compressed it into three minutes and pitched it up by about an octave and a half, and the result was just a completely typical 12-bar blues riff in C.

this is what happened when I played a wav of a Steve Howe guitar solo from Yes - Tales from Topographic Oceans in reverse ( and pitched down an octave)! ... 12 bar blues....

true story

edit: I was trying to assemble my genius sampladelic masterpiece and YES fucked it with pedestrian blues licks ( I thought I was being clever by reversing YES's most impenetrable tune and pitching it down but then the joke's on me ), but Chris Squire doesn't know what a lucky escape he had, me and my mates "cased his joint" in Virginia Water, etc

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
sounds like Bo got dosed during this performance “i tried it and that’s why I’m in the Dr’s office noww”, wait for the finale and tell me this man isn’t peaking

lush harmonics, bouncing bottom end, slinky rhythm guitar, genius lead and all tied together by a sublime figurehead the cherry on top, so you get vocal character and a massive slab of a groove

(ignore jam tag, it’s a million tiers above fuckin Phish gagpuke)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It doesnt exist past what youve already heard. Its a hole in the music marketplace. Like how there are no good desert rock bands despite conceptually that sounding great.
This is much more orchestral than it is 'rock', as such, although it does feature some electric guitar. It's also pretty great and you'd be hard-pressed to find anything more desert-sounding.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Another excellent record from the husband-wife duo I posted a few pages ago - this is their first recording, which sounds pretty good considering it was recorded at home by two people playing guitar/bass/synths and using a drum machine for the percussion: