Stoner Rock that I will like

IdleRich

IdleRich
Pure crushing heaviness from these guys:

Edit: third band I've posted with 'acid' in their name, and the second with 'mammoth'!

I think there is a lack of originality "what's heavy? A mammoth ooh how about a mastodon"
"who is evil, Bathory" "who is scary - HP Lovecraft?" etc

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Must. Resist. Oh fuck it, time for some Dead, never fast and hard

You can hear Betty Cantor-Jackson adjusting levels in the first 40 seconds, 2 chords and luscious soloing

an octave filter, two solos and 7/4 time = sounds like summer in Shenandoah

IdleRich

IdleRich
Some instrumental albums that might be up your street, for me Stoner Doom is definitely one of those genres with a massive drop off in quality once you get past the big names, but what do you expect from stoners?

Yeah that shit gonna rob you of your ambition - unless your ambition is to get high and watch television.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think there is a lack of originality "what's heavy? A mammoth ooh how about a mastodon"
"who is evil, Bathory" "who is scary - HP Lovecraft?" etc
Well yeah, most of these bands have a pretty similar schtick, but some of them execute it better than others.

william_kent

Bobby was a record-collection rock guy but no-one in the west knew about them when they started off right?

I highly doubt JAMC were aware of Rallizes in the 80s, and if they had you can bet that they would have name dropped them in NME interviews or whatever

IdleRich

IdleRich
yes it refers to you. this thread dynamic where loads of people recommend similar things to you but none of them hit the spot is pretty brilliant. way better than if you pretended that all the tunes people are posting are what you're after.

Ha that's kinda what I thought.

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
Bobby was a record-collection rock guy but no-one in the west knew about them when they started off right?
They were barely known in Japan. They had one appearance on an ultra-obscure Japanese compilation LP in 1973, then didn't have anything else released (and even then, Japan-only bootlegs) until at least the late 80s.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I like these guys' recordings, although they were a bit too free-form to really get into when I saw them live a few years ago.

This is draws more on the 60s-70s prog-psych end of things, rather than the doom-laden Sabbath riffs end. Not a million miles away from Mogwai, actually.

william_kent

I got an email telling me these guys are playing Europe & UK in a couple of months, I'm tempted especially as I can actually see them as opposed to the Melvins who play two days before I'm in the area and Masonna who plays on the day I fly away

I actually bought this CD while I was really looking for Psychic TV rarities

Bell Witch - Future's Shadow Part 1: The Clandestine Gate

Mr. Naga Pickle

I got an email telling me these guys are playing Europe & UK in a couple of months, I'm tempted especially as I can actually see them as opposed to the Melvins who play two days before I'm in the area and Masonna who plays on the day I fly away

I actually bought this CD while I was really looking for Psychic TV rarities

Bell Witch - Future's Shadow Part 1: The Clandestine Gate

Definitely go if you can! One of the best live bands I've in the past decade!