The Media Controls Your Mind

version

With some people, you can see how their sense of humour was shaped by certain TV shows. I have friends who absolutely loved The Office in school and it's very noticeable in their tone and the kind of jokes they tell. They have the Gervais sort of timing and emphasis on 'cringe'.

ghost

People who downplay the existence of subliminal effects online are taking a very restricted view. For instance, there are many aspects to UX that work on subliminal principles - one nutty thing is the use of invisible flicker to bring unconsciously to attention chosen website elements.
This isn't real??? I work on software and if I could do this it would be great. But I can't because… as far as I can tell it's not real? Please help me out.

ghost

From a visual stress perspective this is objectively true: the newer the architecture the less natural its forms and so the harder the brain has to work.
once you're describing buildings as either "modern" or "classical" as if those are coherent categories and you can differentiate the two cleanly, your brain has already turned to soup

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
This isn't real??? I work on software and if I could do this it would be great. But I can't because… as far as I can tell it's not real? Please help me out.
you can only see the invisible flickers by making screenshots but still you need to be very lucky to catch one

ghost

you can only see the invisible flickers by making screenshots but still you need to be very lucky to catch one

please link me to a tutorial? like surely there's a stackoverflow post or something? i need to direct people's attention to buttons my startup is dying

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
absolutely anything obviously. there are small ones and big ones. specific things that come to mind: someone i know talking about how they want a higher salary so that they can spend it on supplements...
This is a really great example. Supplements, dieting, 'biohacking' in general, people who go to the gym not just for general strength and fitness training but to work on a very specific set of muscles that you or I probably couldn't even name - it's a whole subculture. Like the way, for some people (meaning, realistically, some men), a bike/car/PC/stereo system is not just a utile appliance but an ongoing work in progress that they're constantly tweaking and optimising, except it's their own body. Or mind, even, if you include nootropics, microdosing, 'brain gyms' and so on.

mixed_biscuits

I wasn't...have you heard of 'years'? Using years with the larger the number the more recent the building, and a Fourier analysis to quantify visual discomfort, there is very good evidence of this association. If you read Visual Stress by Wilkins (OUP) he points out that the less a pattern occurs in nature the more stressful it is because the brain isn't adapted to it. High contrast and rectilinear patterns are stressful and more common in more recent architecture.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
People who downplay the existence of subliminal effects online are taking a very restricted view. For instance, there are many aspects to UX that work on subliminal principles - one nutty thing is the use of invisible flicker to bring unconsciously to attention chosen website elements.

The sick person may not be healed if his appointed time has come and it is decreed that he should die from this disease. Among the things that may be used in ruqyah are the verses which speak of sihr, which may be recited into water. These are the verses about sihr in Soorat al-A’raaf, where Allah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“And We revealed to Moosa (saying): ‘Throw your stick,’ and behold! It swallowed up straight away all the falsehood which they showed.
Thus truth was confirmed, and all that they did was made of no effect.
So they were defeated there and returned disgraced [al-A’raaf 7:117-119]
And in Soorat Yoonus (interpretation of the meaning):
“And Pharaoh said: ‘Bring me every well-versed sorcerer.’
And when the sorcerers came, Moosa said to them: ‘Cast down what you want to cast!’
Then when they had cast down, Moosa said: ‘What you have brought is sorcery, Allah will surely make it of no effect. Verily, Allah does not set right the work of Al-Mufsidoon.
And Allah will establish and make apparent the truth by His Words, however much the Mujrimoon may hate (it).’” [Yoonus 10:79-82]
And in Soorat Ta-Ha (interpretation of the meaning):
“They said: ‘O Moosa! Either you throw first or we be the first to throw?’
Moosa said: ‘Nay, throw you (first)!’ Then behold! their ropes and their sticks, by their magic, appeared to him as though they moved fast.
So Moosa conceived fear in himself.
We (Allah) said: ‘Fear not! Surely, you will have the upper hand.
And throw that which is in your right hand! It will swallow up that which they have made. That which they have made is only a magician’s trick, and the magician will never be successful, to whatever amount (of skill) he may attain.’” [Ta-Ha 20:65-69]
These aayahs are among the things by which Allah causes the ruqyah against sihr to be beneficial. If the qaari’ (reader) recites these verses into water, and also reads Soorat al-Faatiha, Aayat al-Kursiy, “Qul Huwa Allahu Ahad”, and al-Mi’wadhatayn into the water, then pours it over the person who he thinks has been affected by sihr or is being prevented by magic from having intercourse with his wife, then he will be healed by Allah’s Leave. If seven lotus leaves are ground up and added to the water as well, this is appropriate, as was mentioned by Shaykh ‘Abd al-Rahmaan ibn Hasan (may Allah have mercy on him) in Fath al-Majeed, quoting from some of the scholars in the chapter entitled Ma jaa’a fi’l-Nushrah. It is mustahabb to recite the three soorahs, namely Qul Huwa Allahu Ahad, Qul A’oodhu bi Rabb il Falaq and Qul A’oodhu bi Rabb il-Naas. The point is that these and similar treatments which are used to treat this problem of sihr, may also be used to treat the one who is prevented by magic from having intercourse with his wife. This has been tried a great deal and Allah caused it to yield results. A person may be treated with al-Faatihah alone and be healed, or with Qul Huwa Allahu Ahad and al-Mi’wadhatayn on their own, and be healed. It is very important that the person performing this treatment and the person who is being treated should both have sincere faith and trust in Allah; they should know that He is control of all things and that when He wills a thing it happens, and when He does not will a thing it does not happen. The matter is in His hand, whatever He wills happens and whatever He does not will does not happen. When both the reader and the one who is read over have faith and are sincere towards Allah, the sickness will disappear quickly by Allah’s Leave, and both physical and spiritual medicine will be beneficial.

Question
Is sihr (magic, witchcraft) real? Does it have any effect? What are the types of sihr?
Summary of answer
Sihr is a serious crime and is one of the kinds of disbelief. Sihr is what the magicians do to delude and confuse people, so that the one who is watching thinks that it is real when in fact it is not.

chava

my brother somehow starting to talk about how modern architecture is rubbish and how classical buildings are better;
still waiting for current architects to be subliminally influenced by this idea. doesn't seem to have that much of an effect

ghost

I wasn't...have you heard of 'years'? Using years with the larger the number the more recent the building, and a Fourier analysis to quantify visual discomfort, there is very good evidence of this association. If you read Visual Stress by Wilkins (OUP) he points out that the less a pattern occurs in nature the more stressful it is because the brain isn't adapted to it. High contrast and rectilinear patterns are stressful and more common in more recent architecture.
"high contrast, rectilinear": hermetic glass curtainwalls with low visual differentiation, organic and parametric forms

"low contrast": gargoyles, flying buttresses, highly detailed gothic arches...

This is some kind of nonsense where Gaudi epitomizes tradition, Beaux Arts was never fixated on classical proportion, and everyone past 1940 has been making corbusier cubes ever since.

sus

My favorite part is how Mixed spends 3 pages demanding scientific papers debunking his "one simple trick to cure phobias" (which he still hasn't described). Then turns around and insists (to professional UX engineers) that software companies design migraine-inducing subliminal messaging. Which of course he has no source for, because it would be too dangerous for him to share this forbidden knowledge.

mixed_biscuits

"low contrast": gargoyles, flying buttresses, highly detailed gothic arches...

This is some kind of nonsense where Gaudi epitomizes tradition, Beaux Arts was never fixated on classical proportion, and everyone past 1940 has been making corbusier cubes ever since.
What is this drivel. There's a world expert on visual stress who literally wrote the book on it whom I'm just repeating; read his book and email him if you think you know better, you blowhard.

mixed_biscuits

My favorite part is how Mixed spends 3 pages demanding scientific papers debunking his "one simple trick to cure phobias" (which he still hasn't described). Then turns around and insists (to professional UX engineers) that software companies design migraine-inducing subliminal messaging. Which of course he has no source for, because it would be too dangerous for him to share this forbidden knowledge.
Let me introduce you to something called a 'search engine' and a website called 'LessWrong' which teaches you how to think.

LessWrong made an error in worrying about the 'dark arts' of sophistry: below a certain IQ their use is so blatant that it becomes wholly counter-productive. I give you: sus

• Haha
Reactions: sus

sus

You realize that I've written pieces for LW which have been featured on the homepage and nominated for their end of year roundups lol