blissblogger

My son put me onto this British singer Nilüfer Yanya - she's half-Turkish on her dad's side, grew up listening to Turkish music and classical, then picked up an electric guitar

I really like the nervous, skittery feel to the melody and groove.... and her dry papery vocal timbre

Wondering if her background will intrigue thirdform enough to check out some of "the devil's music" a/k/a indie.

• Haha
Reactions: sus

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
My son put me onto this British singer Nilüfer Yanya - she's half-Turkish on her dad's side, grew up listening to Turkish music and classical, then picked up an electric guitar

I really like the nervous, skittery feel to the melody and groove.... and her dry papery vocal timbre

Wondering if her background will intrigue thirdform enough to check out some of "the devil's music" a/k/a indie.

hmmm. I listened and well,

It still reminds me of the posh girls I wanted to chat up in sixth form who went to Oxford. Who no doubt held my brutish ways in contempt - fair cop, guvnor, I don't like your infantile culture.

very student union bar music.

Don't hear much Turkish in this, but of course by Turkish I of course mean nomadic barbaric turkomen warriors shagging their Kurdish cousins, rather than istanbulites who love to claim they're european because they had an ancestor called Muhammed Turkovic in the 18th century. I need to research her.

Actually I think indie is the devils music because it has no war instincts. Unlike soul, which is war music.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
War necessitates passion, not half arsed fumbling. @luka is right about this. But he's wrong about the passion to annihilate the enemy. That quickly turns to regret as all infantile bourgeois are unable to realise in the capitalist mode of production. But you can never defeat a warrior who is dedicated to only self-excellence, because her war never ends.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
it's a vibe - steel drum jihad!

could be a bit more minimal and gritty for me, and could do without the sax - prefer sax with broken backbeat, but I'll take it.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
there was actually quite a big turkish pop-rock scene in the 2000s. Haluk Levent, şebnem (pronounced shebnem/shabnam) Ferah, Funda arar, MaNga etc.

blissblogger

I went with "Stabilised" because there's a drum & bass-ish feel in its flustered beats, but this below is actually my favorite Nilüfer Yanya - beautiful Vini Reilly-ish guitar looping endlessly, shoegaze drones rising up in the far distance periodically

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

I just looked her up and she is named after turkish superstar nılüfer.

Two of her absolute classics from the 70s and early 80s.

If you think about it hard enough, baroque pop is actually türkisch.

blissblogger

If she sounds like anybody in recent post-indie, it's King Krule

And the dry voice also reminds me sometimes of Mica Levi, but more obviously singerly

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I went with "Stabilised" because there's a drum & bass-ish feel in its flustered beats, but this below is actually my favorite Nilüfer Yanya - beautiful Vini Reilly-ish guitar looping endlessly, shoegaze drones rising up in the far distance periodically

that sounds more turkish, still a bit too indie for me, but its slowly getting there.

another absolute classic.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Breaking down his resistance video by video!

haha. no chance. I'm not like Kirk Degiorgio, my reasons for disliking indie are entirely rational.

Although, no dissing from me here, Kirk has exemplary taste in music, if a little restrained for me, he lacks, as @Woebot called it, terror in music. Terror is a necessary aesthetic component in music, just like the red terror is necessary to ensure the bourgeoisie don't start misbehaving after they have been deposed. and it would not be terror if it was restrained, although, of course, the terror must not get out of hand. Extreme excesses in disciplined moderation.