version

Anyone lived near heavy industry, airports or rail lines? How did it affect you? Could you sleep? Did it enter your dreams?

version

There's something debilitating about the kind of environmental decay seen in Britain at the moment. I think it's to do with the pace of decline. If something's destroyed overnight then there's a galvanising factor that promotes rebuilding and collective action. People club together in a crisis. The environment demands it. But when it unfolds over the course of decades, there's a weary resignation.

It's the difference between your house being damp and your house being flooded. One requires immediate and drastic action, the other tends to be ignored or managed.

Britain is a damp house.

version

I went for a day out in Blackpool recently

this is just by central pier

Yeah, that sort of thing. Just existing around these places, day to day, must do a number on you. You're living in slow ruins. All the life seeping out of the world. It doesn't even have the benefit of rewilding by default. Nothing but brick, glass and chipboard.

It's not the kind of thing that's going to get people out of their homes and trying to do the place up either, if they even have the means to. It's the kind of thing that makes you turn inward.

version

The environment is a mirror.

What I'm getting at seems to be a combination of the environment being an agent, a mirror, and a feedback loop. You can argue all three, but they're different things. The agency argument takes it in a more creative, literary direction as you're pulled toward it being a mysterious force consciously acting upon or against us. The mirror sets it in a passive role where it's simply a reflection of the things acting upon it. And the feedback loop's a more grounded approach offering a synthesis of the two.

High-Rise is interesting because the building seems to dictate the behaviour of its inhabitants, but through some sort of logic within the architecture itself rather than the kind of animism you'd see in something like a haunted house story. The high-rise has no agenda, but nevertheless exerts a force on the people living there.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I went for a day out in Blackpool recently

View attachment 18000

this is just by central pier
There have always been places like this in the poorer towns and cities, but with maybe a very few exceptions - I dunno, Winchester, probably, somewhere like that - there are now scenes like this in every town and city.

The rate of decline in not much more than a decade has been startling.

william_kent

of course

I think the four members of this forum may be well versed in Baudlerlaire, Guy Debord, dérive, Iain Sinclair, "DEEP TOPOGRAPHY"

etc

edit: fuck Will self, he is just a wanker

william_kent

althouhgh Jarett Kobek is the ultimate psychogeographic author

'reasons'

read ATTA and you will understand

9/11 Psycogeography