The Hater's Thread

my first post (group hug)

at the risk of not really being in the spirit of the thread, isn't 99% of every style shit? and 1%is wicked and that's what you seek out.

when i get aggressive about music is when someone else assumes I am gonna like it, for instance thinking i will like electroclash because i like electro, or thinking i will like MIA because I like Nolay...

on another thing, i used to go out with a girl who made a distinction between "jazzy" and "jazzAY" which I find to be quite useful, the difference between, say Art Ensemble Of Chicago and Shakatak.... (other way round)

on the thing of people who got better after a few releases, it's really rare isn't it? the only one that springs to mind is Rebel MC who did some terrible shit and then did a few good rave tunes and then turned into one of the all-time wicked junglists.

zhao

there are no accidents
Edward said:
at the risk of not really being in the spirit of the thread

wilfrid_wood.jpg

Edward said:
99% of every style shit? and 1%is wicked

there are exceptions to that rule. for instance, 99% of Gamelan is fucking mindblowingly wicked.

and 130% of mainstream new gospel is shit.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Edward said:
at the risk of not really being in the spirit of the thread, isn't 99% of every style shit? and 1%is wicked and that's what you seek out.

on the thing of people who got better after a few releases, it's really rare isn't it? the only one that springs to mind is Rebel MC who did some terrible shit and then did a few good rave tunes and then turned into one of the all-time wicked junglists.

I would say it's more like 5% is good (Sturgeon's Law puts the good vs crud as 10/90) and 1% is top notch.

As for people improving over a few releases - Japan is the perfect example of a
band starting out quite badly (never liked their early glam/hybrid hard rock stuff) and ending up brilliantly with "Tin Drum".

Last edited:

harbourlights

mms said:
all shades of trance -
whether its goa, psy, uplifting etc it all sounds like slightly musical helicopter blades set to a beat, but not even that good.
the people that like it are usually toffs, trustafrians or otherwise, the clothes are terrible and it's everywhere without any criticism at all.

i would say that was pretty wide of the mark...maybe goa/psy trance has its following of trustafarians...but uplifting/hard trance etc has (along with hard house) always been the music of choice of a vast amount of working class...it always has been up here in Yorks/Lancs anyway...and from my time living in London i think its true of down there too

harbourlights

here's a few more

obviously just about any indie music since the mid-1980s...after that totally redundant and pointless.And especially Pulp and Blur.

grunge...especially when you hear shit like Kurt Cobain voice of a generation...maybe in America but his time coincided with the absolute triumph of dance culture everywhere else...in the UK I'd say he was the voice of a few posh 15 year olds who hated their parents and wanted to die

Emerson lake and Palmer...totally pointless

the whole concept behind those Guilty Pleasures LPs...why guilty? admittedly some of the tracks are crap but you'd have to conform to some pathetic NME prescribed idea of "what we are allowed to like to think it was daring/ironic to admit to liking the rest

Talking Heads...art professors idea of funky

You're Gorgeous by Baby Bird...truly horrible

Bob Dylan...ok he could write a tune but all this treating his needlessly arcane lyrics as holy writ...talk about the emperors new clothes...and as for his voice..should have got someone else to sing his more decent stuff

Big Beat...should have stayed down the student disco

Mixmag...dance cultures enemy within

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Ness Rowlah said:
Is there anything more annoying EVER than fekken "Uptown Girl". Smug git.
Man, I curse his name, since he surely cursed mine! It was no fun growing up with that song around and the surname Upton!

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
harbourlights said:
mms said:
all shades of trance -
whether its goa, psy, uplifting etc it all sounds like slightly musical helicopter blades set to a beat, but not even that good.
the people that like it are usually toffs, trustafrians or otherwise, the clothes are terrible and it's everywhere without any criticism at all.

i would say that was pretty wide of the mark...maybe goa/psy trance has its following of trustafarians...but uplifting/hard trance etc has (along with hard house) always been the music of choice of a vast amount of working class...it always has been up here in Yorks/Lancs anyway...and from my time living in London i think its true of down there too

sure i should have said psy trance for the trustas - but trance and hard house in general are all over every town club up and down the country and it's awful!
shouda made that clear :)

quote:

grunge...especially when you hear shit like Kurt Cobain voice of a generation...maybe in America but his time coincided with the absolute triumph of dance culture everywhere else...in the UK I'd say he was the voice of a few posh 15 year olds who hated their parents and wanted to die

(i dunno how to do a proper quote)

it made me happy to read this! i remember smells like teen spirit being popular at the same time as didgeridoo by afx came out, i just couldn't understand why anyone would listen to nirvana.

depth charge played it (nirvana) the other night when i went to see him, it was truly a disappiontment.

zhao

there are no accidents
while AFX formulated a brave new futuristic sound-world, Nirvana expressed poingnantly, to the hilt, the devastating frustration and utter defeat which an entire generation felt toward the existing one. the one you have to wake up to every fucking day.

i can't tell if you're defending the nirvana record or just comparing the two, but i think it's much cooler to respond to the shitness of existence by making something amazing that pushes the limits rather than moaning about how miserable you plus bass guitar & drums.

but then i am just not into that kind of sound plus i like escapism...

zhao

there are no accidents
Edward said:
it's much cooler to respond to the shitness of existence by making something amazing that pushes the limits rather than moaning about how miserable you (are)

i like escapism...

I agree that it's good to make something shiny, bold, and new. but it is also valid, and very necessary, to moan about how miserable we are sometimes. to face the filth and cruelty and general fucked up situations that we live in.

confrontation and escape are both necessary strategies I think.

maybe but i'd rather artists just had a little moan to their friends in private and then made some uplifting music.

to go to a rave for some fun and then hear "smells like teen spirit" was miserable for me personally...

also... i don't know the motives of the people who made the record but it really became an anthem for the people it sets out to satirise, a total MTV rock-dude guitar-shop starbucks-rebellion-lite tune. which isn't the fault of nirvana but helps me hate it a bit more. actually that's probably why he went suicidal.....

on the other hand i might just be making up excuses for the fact that i don't happen to like guitar & shouting music.

of course it's up to you if you like it but the threads about what you hate so i'm just adding my 5p's worth...

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
oh come now my good mini, why do you hate the harmless geezer monolake? he could be accused of having exactly 1.5 musical ideas stretched over 5 albums but hardly worthy of your hate?

or do you hate ableton? now that I can understand from how many horror stories I hear...

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
confucius said:
I agree that it's good to make something shiny, bold, and new.

Grayson Perry on art, just as relevant to music,
In art, tradition, the opposite of new, has long taken a back seat; in fact, it seems to have become almost a dirty word. Freshness, revolution, originality are the holy grail. Every time I visit an art fair or biennale, I come away feeling that I must have seen it all. Every gimmick, angle and trick in the book has been employed by artists in their clamour for my attention. Be it 50 Chinese people standing in a room or two identical art galleries next to each other, I can recall what micro categories of artistic practice seemed original to me. I certainly remember these works in the same way as I might remember a car accident or a good joke. Whether that means they are good art or not I find harder to judge as I am bedazzled by their entertaining novelty.

When I was at school people would draw in art lessons with their free hand shielding their work from prying eyes, such was the currency of “originality” and the fear of it being copied. Later, when I studied art history, I found out that pretty much everything has been done, and usually by some obscure conceptual artist a surprisingly long time ago. Now I find the pursuit of originality futile.