The Hater's Thread

gumdrops

i love that this thread just wont let up and that everyone finds new things to submit as objects of their hate. this is clearly what dissensus users have been waiting for.

zhao

there are no accidents
Dubquixote said:
THE BLACK EYED PEAS

yeah maybe the first 1 or 2 albums by the BEP are almost excuseable, but fuck all that west-coast-jazzy-happy-party-hiphop-for-white-chicks-from-the-Valley.

and fuck dj Rap. (I mean if I was drunk I prolly would let her suck my dick, but I don't drink anymore)

Dieselboy should be locked up in a cell and forced to listen to his own records on repeat until he apologizes for being a talentless jerk-off.

and on the modern classical tip:

as far as minimalism is concerned, anything Phillip Glass did after 1971 should be burnt and the remains pissed on. John Adams should be bludgeoned to death with a salad spoon.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Like Woebot, I used to profess a hating for country, but the Johnny Cash prison albums from Fulsom and San Quentin turned my head around completely. They're totally astonishing, and contra Dominic, often very testosterone filled- "I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die", that sort of thing. I can't quite say why, but the astonishing ballsiness (pun intended) of the music makes it utterly compelling. It's also very beautiful in places- the weepy ballads like Green Green Grass Of Home are deeply emotional.

I have a slightly irrational but all consuming hatred of Yo La Tengo and The Pixies.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
Ness Rowlah said:
and why always this "early stuff" - who are the acts whose "late stuff" is their greatest?

as I mentioned in the original post, case in point: one of the few if not only:

Spring Heel Jack. what the hell happened to them between the slushy jazzy-jungle diarhea of the 90s and the jaw-droppingly brilliant modern free-jazz they're doing now? was there a break-through in brain enlargement technologies that I'm not aware of???

zhao

there are no accidents
Diggedy Derek said:
Like Woebot, I used to profess a hating for country

I think people say they hate country because they have not been exposed to the great stuff. Woodie Guthrie, Leadbelly, and all those early American folk records are so beautiful. there was this one record called Pre-war Gospel, Folk and Blues that a friend gave me, from 1909, and in it I can hear the roots of rock, punk, R'n'B, Soul, Funk, hiphop, house, techno, etc, etc. seriously. like the primordial soup that all of 20th century climbed out of.

hats off to Harry Smith.

and all the amazing old gospel... Mahalia Jackson, rest in peace. Thomas A. Dorsey, rest in peace. the Chicago Sanctified Singers, rest in peace.

but new gospel is pure garbage.

on the new country/rock tip: respect to my main man Neil Young. (any doubters just go pick up the Dead Man soundtrack to start off with)

dominic

Beast of Burden
dHarry said:
Birth Of The Cool, Cookin' with the Miles Davis Quintet , Milestones, Porgy and Bess, Round About Midnight, Kind Of Blue, My Funny Valentine, ESP, Miles Smiles

okay -- tenth effort -- in terms of a full-length album in which he's the band leader -- if i'm STILL wrong, then correct me again! -- btw you forgot to mention Sketches in Spain in late 50s

dHarry said:
BTW, there must be plenty of Cocteau Twins haters around here, they're an easy target, but remain for me a beacon of uncompromising beauty in the face of banality, but they've escaped the bile-lists so far.

errr, i like Cocteau Twins -- especially the EARLY cocteau twins -- circa "treasure" -- but generally like their stuff up through "blue bell knoll"

dominic

Beast of Burden
xiquet said:
what exactly are you sceptical about?

first, i was mainly trying to wind people up

second, in my experience dj sets that follow this fashion can be a bit boring if heard at a bar or club -- that is, i think the music works best outside, in a traditional street soundsystem environment -- which is not to say that certain djs can't make it work in a night-time context, merely that i've been less than impressed on the occasions i've sought it out -- AND YET this is true of most djs in most any genre -- so the comment was really just an example of me being curmudgeonly

dominic

Beast of Burden
Diggedy Derek said:
the Johnny Cash prison albums from Fulsom and San Quentin turned my head around completely. They're totally astonishing, and contra Dominic, often very testosterone filled- "I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die", that sort of thing. I can't quite say why, but the astonishing ballsiness (pun intended) of the music makes it utterly compelling.

you're right, the johnny cash prison stuff is top notch

not sure if i'd call it testosterone music, though

Diggedy Derek said:
I have a slightly irrational but all consuming hatred of Yo La Tengo and The Pixies.

agree with you on yo la tengo

disagree about pixies -- though i can perhaps see where you're coming from, b/c i had the stuff, then began to loathe it and so sold it all off, and now kinda wishing i hadn't as i think i kinda sorta like them again

pixies have a lot to answer for -- the all-too-clever snideness that heads straight to pavement -- but i think their intensity and their roots in surf music redeem them -- plus i like the interplay b/w the kim deal's vocals and jack black's vocals

tryptych

waiting for a time
confucius said:
as I mentioned in the original post, case in point: one of the few if not only:

Spring Heel Jack. what the hell happened to them between the slushy jazzy-jungle diarhea of the 90s and the jaw-droppingly brilliant modern free-jazz they're doing now? was there a break-through in brain enlargement technologies that I'm not aware of???

Are they the same band? I downloaded a bunch of Spring Heel Jack stuff last year (hey, I remeber doing some of my first es to SPJ live when i was younger and thinking they were great...) and just assumed that the free jazz stuff, while pretty interesting, was another band of the same name...

mms

sometimes
thistle hotels
appauling over expensive hotel chain

and that grim dubs series - they're crap .

Last edited:

Tim F

Early Spring Heel Jack were great! <i>There Are Strings</i> was one of the few really excellent albums to come out of the ambient jungle/artcore moment in d&b - listen to something like "Oceola" again, it combines all those squiggly swirly synth sounds with some serious rhythmic pressure...

Admittedly <i>68 Million Shades</i> was quite a drop-off and I never heard <i>Busy Curious Thirsty</i>.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
The Spring Heel Jack who did that artcore dnb stuff are definitely the same ones who gigged with Matthew Shipp, William Parker and so on.

zhao

there are no accidents
sceptical, but guess it is possible that I missed some good early S.H. Jack. all the shit I heard was so fucking lame...

oh yeah, almost forgot... that one dude is going to be very offended:

I HATE Venetian Snares.

machine hugger

(())(())((+))(())(())
Argh..most everything here is arguable. Can we just all agree that R Kelly is the worst vapid crap ON EVERY LEVEL. He's fucking miserable.

dHarry

confucius said:
guess it is possible that I missed some good early S.H. Jack. all the shit I heard was so fucking lame...

I bought SHJ's early single The Sea Lettuce single on none other than Monsieur Reynolds' recommendation in Melody Maker, and while I could just about feel the oceanic, formless thing, the production, beats, and dynamics were extremely lacking, especially compared to much more rough and ready earlier drum and bass which did that [ambient timeless synth-swirl + breaks] thing much better.

It was actually one of the the final nails in the coffin of my love affair with jungle (and reminds me of my disappointment with the Orb's first LP which seemed like a similar fallen souffle, half-baked by stoners noodling about with their synths).

But I haven't heard SHJ's free jazz collaboration stuff yet, which sounded interesting - how does it compare with DJ Spooky's stuff in a similar vein, anyone?

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Antony and the Johnsons. "Ohh I am a trannie with vibrato-voice". All the luvvies love it -
"album of the year blah blah". It does nothing for me - apart from wanting to find the nearest bucket ...

[ In the name of PC-Ness: I have nothing against trannies, trannies creating music or being artistic.
I did like Wayne County - anyone who can come up with titles like "Are you man enough to be
a woman?" deserves to be remembered (or dismembered?).
There's some vintage Wayne (looking a bit like Alison Goldfrapp?!)
performing at Rockpalast in 1978 over at jaynecounty.com ]

Last edited: