The Hater's Thread

mms

sometimes
women in baseball caps - always look like they are going to a shoot for razzle.
instant coffee
paul weller - alan partridge in mod clothing

Last edited:

DJ PIMP

Rachel Verinder said:
have to say that these days i tend to be automatically turned off the work of any musician who is featured/praised in the wire. a sad state of affairs to be sure.
The Wire drinking game:

1. Abstain every time you see a picture of a joyless/po-faced musician.
2. Abstain every review you read that sounds like pained/difficult listening.
3. Abstain for every article that fails to mention anything fun.

Dry as the Sahara.

Last edited:

dHarry

I really hate to continue the hate, but what about Mike Skinner's rapid, sudden, reverse-meteoric decline from the new Specials to the new Jilted John("Fit But You Know It")-cum-David Gray("Dry Your Eyes Mate")

A sad, bad, boring, prosaic, manipulative follow-up to a novel, fresh, exciting debut.

3underscore

mms said:
women in baseball caps - always look like they are going to a shoot for razzle.

Haha! Brilliant! Nail on the head with that - I always wondered quite what it was I didn't like about the look.

Agree with the instant coffee point too. Especially cheap instant.

mms

sometimes
Saul Williams - what a self obsessed over clever twat - his last album sounds like a really bad musical all about his problems - just imagine trying to spend an afternoon with the prick

satanmcnugget

"jazzy" hip-hop, with the sole exception being the Roots (whom i luv)

post PIL stuff by Jah Wobble, which should be an embarrassment to him, although he keeps churning shit out (referring more to his solo albums...laid down a good lie or two on the Primal sream thingy)

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
mms said:
Saul Williams - what a self obsessed over clever twat - his last album sounds like a really bad musical all about his problems - just imagine trying to spend an afternoon with the prick

shit - I just ordered it from Amazon. Just heard one track "List of Demands" - which I quite liked,
get it from here http://2005.sxsw.com/music/showcases/band/19890.html .
hmm - haven't actually read that before. "emo-core" should have set my alarms bell off

Oh well, I won't cancel, had a gift voucher. I can live with him being wordclever - and at least
he seems to be trying to stretch rap/hip-hop a little bit (I am so sick of gangsta rap).

If I am not listening to Saul - who (working in a similar format) should I listen to instead ?

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
Ness Rowlah said:
shit - I just ordered it from Amazon. Just heard one track "List of Demands" - which I quite liked,
get it from here http://2005.sxsw.com/music/showcases/band/19890.html .
hmm - haven't actually read that before. "emo-core" should have set my alarms bell off

Oh well, I won't cancel, had a gift voucher. I can live with him being wordclever - and at least
he seems to be trying to stretch rap/hip-hop a little bit (I am so sick of gangsta rap).

If I am not listening to Saul - who (working in a similar format) should I listen to instead ?

well you might like it-
i really really could not stand it to be honest and had to leave the room .
but then i am quite intolerant of some music.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
mms said:
...had to leave the room .
but then i am quite intolerant of some music.

Love it.

Who isn't? I had no idea that Saul was to be some sort of saviour of hip-hop.
Having listened to the whole of the SXSW-legal-torrent I bundled him together with
Meg Lee Chin (who is quoting Ginsberg on her track. I only know that
because I happened to read the Guardian last week and they had a piece on some
beat poet; the quote "best minds of my generation" was there for me to see and
connect with Chin's "Nutopia").

The bundling together of these two was in the category
"clever, with a bit off aggro/electro going on".

Just did a combined search for "Meg Lee Chin" and "Saul Williams" on Google and the
first entry reads "Althetic sexual stallion seeking good conversation" .
Oh dear, a "24 year old software developer" looking for a threesome ...
(and a better spellchecker).

I will probably be listening to Saul with that in mind now. Cheers :confused:

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
bleep said:
The Wire drinking game:
Dry as the Sahara.

oh come now. I stopped my subscription of 3 years last year, because the publication is indeed in some kind of decline, but I've constantly thought about renewing ever since I stopped: it's still miles ahead of most music magazines out there. I used to love getting it in the mail... how some other people must feel getting the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue in the mail. in fact... now that I think about it... maybe I will renew it afterall... hmmm...

yes the streets second effort is a nausea inducing.

and although Jah Wobble's solo stuff is not holding up with the passage of time nearly as well as those first 2 PIL records, I used to really enjoy it... that one record with Nata it's much better than most other white people doing "world" music. even better than some brown people doing "world" music... which brings me to --

I piss on Global Underground and take a nice fat dump on Asian Dub Foundation. and Talvin Singh gets a proper bitch-slap in the face.

zhao

there are no accidents
HMGovt said:
The Bays. The world is grateful you've never released a record. Keep up the good work.

who cares about the Bays I fucking hate HMGovt's icon. that is the most insufferable show I have ever had the misfortune of seeing 2 whole episodes of. it was like watching my parents whine, complain, bicker, and nag about fucking NOTHING for 2 hours. I can not think of anything more annoying. (not applicable in some ways, but there's a reason why Chinese are called "the Jews of Asia")

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
mms said:

He's a nice bloke but it still made me laugh :)

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
I hate the following:

Jimmy Saville - I'd do time if they'd let me kill him with my bare fists.
Public Transport and people who talk to me on it, or that cunt with the crinkly carrier bag with something stuck in the fucking corner - you fucking cunt.
The bastard that gets on a empty train with me in Leeds at 6.23am and then sits across from me.
People who treat music like fruit and veg, fuck your spread sheet you prick.
People who just run with the crowd, do you know what you what for tea? eh eh?

That should do for now...

zhao

there are no accidents
Martin Dust said:
I hate the following:
People who treat music like fruit and veg, fuck your spread sheet you prick.

who do you mean? label execs?

oh yeah: the ARCTIC FUCKING MONKEYS

Buick6

too punk to drunk
THE AXIS OF EVIL : THE 3 BENS : BEN FOLDS, BEN LEE & BEN QUELLER. ANYONE WITH THE NAME BEN SHOULD BE KILLED, LET ALONE THE FUCKER MAKING THIS FUCKING YUPPIE FRIENDLY 'NICE' ALTERAMERCIAL SHLOCH

MAINSTREAM INDIE AVERAGE SHMOE SENSITIVE SINGER SONGWRITERS : JEFF BUCKLEY, ALEX LLOYD, JACK JOHNSON and the wanker that killed himself - THERE ARE MANY OTHERS

GLITCH TECHNO THAT ISN'T MADE BY MAURITZ VON OZWALD. IT'S THE BIGGEST SHIT MADE BY GUITLY NERDS THAT AIN'T GOT RHYTHM.

SYSTEM OF A DOWN AND OTHER 'DISSIDENT' ROCKERS : THEY ARE THE MOST RIDICULOUS BAND EVER, A GUY WHO SINGS LIKE TINY TIM ON STEROIDS OR FUCKEN CHRIS DE BURGH ON SPEED! AND MOST MORONS WEREN'T EVEN BORN TO REALISE THAT PROG BECAME ASIA, JOURNEY, EUROPE!!! SPASTICUS!

ANY GENRE WITH 'CORE' IN IT: REPLACE 'CORE' WITH 'LAMESHIT' FOR THE REAL MEANING.

WHINY AMERICAN EMO CORE AND NU-PUNK: Fucken BLINK 182 and NICKELBACK and all those FUCKEN EARNEST DUDES WITH BLACK FRINGES AND EYELINER AND ROUSING CHORUSES WITH QUIET BITS, THEY SHOULD BE SENT TO IRAQ AND BEHEADED ON VIDEO

THE PIANO PLAYING SHMUCKS: BILLY ELTON JOE JACKSON WHO WERE THEN RE-INCARNATED AS THE 3 BENS

AUSSIE HIPHOP: SO YOU THINK UK HIPHOP IS BAD? YOU AINT HEARD NOTHING YET SUKKAS

HIPPY & JEW HIPHOP: OYOYOY! DELASOUL AND BEASTIE BOYS were oh so 90s, but NOW??!!

'HOT' NU-UK DARLINGS : WHY IS IT THAT THEY HAVE WHAT I CALL 'THE LOGANS RUN' SYNDROME?

Last edited:
confucius said:
who cares about the Bays I fucking hate HMGovt's icon. that is the most insufferable show I have ever had the misfortune of seeing 2 whole episodes of. it was like watching my parents whine, complain, bicker, and nag about fucking NOTHING for 2 hours. I can not think of anything more annoying. (not applicable in some ways, but there's a reason why Chinese are called "the Jews of Asia")

~I hear ya. Changing back to Mr Cylon.

Last edited:

turtles

in the sea
Oh man, Jack Johnson. I despise Jack Johnson. Holy fuck, give me a million half-assed post-punk wannabes flooding the airwaves to never here him again. Jesus, "a special collection of new songs and lullabyes by Jack Johnson" in the adds for the curious george movie. I can't believe how succesful he's been over here.

OOOOHHH LOOK THERE IS AN AUSSIE SURFER PLAYING ACOUSTIC GEE-TAR!!! SURELY THIS WILL BE THE GREATEST MUSIC EVER!!!!

where are the sharks when you need them.