When Do We Stop Finding New Music?

0bleak

isn't anywhere near as exciting cos you never hear it in a club

It helps having a PA system with an 18" sub.
Of course I can't let 'em go full-on unless i want to rock the whole block or rattle light fixtures off the ceiling (oops).

DLaurent

I got into house music not all that long ago. There's probably equal amount of good stuff as Techno, but it is finite of course.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
good question @subvert47

@DLaurent it may be bottomless, still finding sublime new old gear weekly but admittedly a slightly anachronistic organism

when one regional hub threatened to revolt over so much house, I started dosing them with corpsey drill and now nearly all of them do overtime without too much aggravation, swings and roundabouts

new music is always present guess it’s a 66% old gear 33% new material time split, don’t have the free time to pursue quest-like loose ends in terms of attention any more which doesn’t help and there are at least 20 threads on here which define tangential time sinks if you do have actual time to explore

mixed_biscuits

mixed_biscuits

The other thing is that the well of new genres seems pretty dry, not least because electronic music's possibilities have been exhaustively explored. The mainstream charts are horrifically middle of the road, and the way songs come in and out of popularity ad aeternitatem shows how the music that's around is not necessarily the music of now, new expressions that erupt into our consciousness and shock or bewilder with novelty and surprise.

mixed_biscuits

'Calcify' is quite a negative spin on what is just coming to know what one enjoys the most and bringing it into focus - calcification makes it sound like one's missing out on pleasure rather than maximising it, which is what is actually happening.

mixed_biscuits

dilbert1

'Calcify' is quite a negative spin on what is just coming to know what one enjoys the most and bringing it into focus - calcification makes it sound like one's missing out on pleasure rather than maximising it, which is what is actually happening.

Conservative to the chicken-tender bone! Always strive to learn new things, attempt to change your mind, reexamine what you’ve dismissed, check your blind spots, push yourself, disturb your sensibility, discover new comforts, find that needle in the haystack, bracket your preferences. Aesthetic experience isn’t equivalent to wearing your coziest old t-shirt. Sapere aude is a call to action!

“I once knew a monster who said she could not read Proust because there were no figures in Proust with whom she could identify.” - T.W. Adorno

“Thus, it is difficult for any individual man to work himself out of the immaturity that has all but become his nature. He has even become fond of this state and for the time being is actually incapable of using his own understanding… Rules and formulas, those mechanical aids to the rational use, or rather misuse, of his natural gifts, are the shackles of a permanent immaturity. Whoever threw them off would still make only an uncertain leap over the smallest ditch, since he is unaccustomed to this kind of free movement. Consequently, only a few have succeeded, by cultivating their own minds, in freeing themselves from immaturity and pursuing a secure course.” - Kant

^At the end there he’s clearly referencing myself and a select number of other dissensians. And this wouldn’t be the first time that Biscuits and his benighted attitude have flown in the face of our great European Enlightenment heritage, wading contently, as he and other proud customers do with undue self-regard, in the lukewarm waters of provincial fancy.

mixed_biscuits

Conservative to the chicken-tender bone! Always strive to learn new things, attempt to change your mind, reexamine what you’ve dismissed, check your blind spots, push yourself, disturb your sensibility, discover new comforts, find that needle in the haystack, bracket your preferences. Aesthetic experience isn’t equivalent to wearing your coziest old t-shirt. Sapere aude is a call to action!
Yeah, I do all that, but I still like jungle/dnb best...that's because once you've heard a reasonable amount you have a good feel for what you might like or not.

In fact, your moralistic take on what is purely a natural statistical phenomenon somehow succeeds in making the guy who wrote the article's argument even worse.

dilbert1

That the author treats taste as “purely a natural statistical phenomenon” and not an issue of sentimental (moral and aesthetic) education probably explains more than anything the dirth of his own musical pantheon. Utterly depressing outlook. Reminds me of the pro-NFT art sensibility, really autistic ideas about how how a civilized culture works. In my regard for notions of enlightenment, bildungsroman, etc. perhaps I’m more culturally conservative than thou, Biscuits. This “enjoy what you like” attitude is fine, but “like only what you enjoy now” seems dismal and ultimately an embrace of relativism. Well-intentioned, maybe, but as your ilk are so keen to repeat, the path to Hell is paved with what again?

mixed_biscuits

What is required is a brainiac tyro equipped with peerless technical ability, the drive to assimilate the whole tradition and reformulate it in daring and innovative forms. But unlike Andrew Wynn Owen in the poetical arts, this guy uses all that to make complete shite:

mixed_biscuits

That the author treats taste as “purely a natural statistical phenomenon” and not an issue of sentimental (moral and aesthetic) education probably explains more than anything the dirth of his own musical pantheon. Utterly depressing outlook. Reminds me of the pro-NFT art sensibility, really autistic ideas about how how a civilized culture works. In my regard for notions of enlightenment, bildungsroman, etc. perhaps I’m more culturally conservative than thou, Biscuits. This “enjoy what you like” attitude is fine, but “like only what you enjoy now” seems dismal and ultimately an embrace of relativism. Well-intentioned, maybe, but as your ilk are so keen to repeat, the path to Hell is paved with what again?
You're quite the caricature. I'm not saying enjoy only what you like now but, logically and empirically, that after a such over a certain period of time what one likes the most is unlikely to be replaced by something the search missed or something new turning up (a superseding novelty is most likely to spring from the genre one already prefers and to count as the 'same thing' even though the tunes may all be new.

mixed_biscuits

People are most likely to change a generic preference not because they've found a new genre but because they themselves have changed e.g. most commonly in not being able to put up with extremes of speed or volume any more.

dilbert1

Who said anything about “replacing” or disavowing your favorite and beloved? Maturation is not a year-zero mentality