When Do We Stop Finding New Music?

mixed_biscuits

@0bleak where I think there is most scope for electronic diversification is the use of time signatures other than 4/4 but enough people have to do it to actually create a subgenre rather than some Warp guy making a couple of tunes as an experiment.

mixed_biscuits

Most of my friends have matured from liking some music to not seeming to listen to anything any more. Apart from going to the odd gig. I also know people who have never liked any music; they make me feel like a damn fool for bothering with any of it.

mixed_biscuits

The practice of 'developing taste' tends to send people towards conformity as they will privilege music they're told they should like over music they're told they shouldn't. What they're conforming to is their target aspirational social group and what they end up with is a marketeer's set of socio-economic status signifiers.

If you want to become estranged from yourself make an effort.

Reactions: sus

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
You just don't like much music.

Look at @Mr. Tea: presented with a daily platter of the most exotic and delectable musical offerings and his favourite style is still turgid antiquated electronica as long as someone is playing a goddamn bass guitar over it as well.
Hey, this calumny will not stand. My personal listening habits extend at least as far as psychedelic doom metal, dark ambient drone, Killah Priest and Radio 3.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I was thinking earlier about how Chopin (+schumann, schubert, beethoven) was so important to me as a teenager/early-20s-er and how nowadays I hardly ever listen to him and prefer other, often more staid composers, less Romantic, more classical/baroque... (scarlatti, handel, mozart, bach).

Could just be I rinsed that music to death ofc, but I wonder if it is something to do with being a teenager, very hormonal, very emotional, thrown out of the garden of pre-teendom and feeling very melancholic about your newfound acqaintance with (at least the otion of) mortality and sexual frustration?

And then for some of us we extend that acquaintance with extreme emotions via drugs and then it becomes all about our chosen form of dance music.

Now, fully adult (if not mature), those old extreme emotions aren't commonplace anymore. But when you're a teenager you're hormonally keyed up to feel passionate about whatever music moves you, and when you're grown up you subliminally long for those strong emotions again.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
The practice of 'developing taste' tends to send people towards conformity as they will privilege music they're told they should like over music they're told they shouldn't. What they're conforming to is their target aspirational social group and what they end up with is a marketeer's set of socio-economic status signifiers.

If you want to become estranged from yourself make an effort.

this isn't the mid 80s, we aren't going to jennuflect at the shrine of Bourdieu, for fuck's sake! get your flatulent arse out of gear 1 for the first time, if possible...

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
even your boy malcolm Bradbury (no friend of mine) would hold this kind of crude sociologising in contempt, and he'd be right.

mixed_biscuits

Reality can be pretty basic sometimes: if your putative peer group prefers one performer to another but you reflexively oriented yourself towards the opposite, why on earth would you want to hang with those guys?

The way to reduce this influence is to listen without prejudice, set your algorithm to random (@sus ), and buy records solely on the strength of their covers.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Reality can be pretty basic sometimes: if your putative peer group prefers one performer to another but you reflexively oriented yourself towards the opposite, why on earth would you want to hang with those guys?

because it's just signification. as long as you know what you're talking about, you will be able to criticise them. For instance nearly everyone on this forum likes either the gallaghers or the beatles, and I can stand neither.

wild greens

This thread has made me think i probably have some form of musical ADHD. I get burned out so quickly with music, especially in the car.

Few new albums a month, try and get new mixes into the rotation all the time.

I think the affliction discussed in the original post is streaming app lethargy more than anything else, though. Very easy to get burned out by poorly discerning algorithms or dodgy curated playlists