luka

in retrospect i think the defeat of the corbyn-wave has had very severe implications for the country
corbyn was entirely incidental but he served to rally a tendency
anyway, this is what barty said that set me off

Something I said to mvuent. Probably would’ve been worth a dissensus thread back in the day:

I’ve started thinking coinages are these hugely important (and underrated) things- often as potent as ideas themselves if not more so. Things like “hardcore continuum” or “long march through the institutions” seem to concentrate and focus all this latent/dormant power that just the ideas knocking about on their own don’t manifest

luka

it makes me think of pynchon and his fascination with how the power of the 60s was subverted, undermined, betrayed, and how all sorts of things about how power operates was revealed in the process

version

Somewhat paralleled in the US by what happened with Bernie. There's a whole ecosystem of podcasters, campaigners and social media personalities who've been floundering for years as their moment recedes into the past.

version

in retrospect i think the defeat of the corbyn-wave has had very severe implications for the country
corbyn was entirely incidental but he served to rally a tendency
anyway, this is what barty said that set me off

Something I said to mvuent. Probably would’ve been worth a dissensus thread back in the day:

I’ve started thinking coinages are these hugely important (and underrated) things- often as potent as ideas themselves if not more so. Things like “hardcore continuum” or “long march through the institutions” seem to concentrate and focus all this latent/dormant power that just the ideas knocking about on their own don’t manifest

The coinage is often the death knell, mind you. Once it's named and identified, it's peaked. The good bit's when nobody's quite sure what's happening, but something is happening and everyone can sense it. The electricity in the air.

luka

The coinage is often the death knell, mind you. Once it's named and identified, it's peaked. The good bit's when nobody's quite sure what's happening, but something is happening and everyone can sense it. The electricity in the air.
its also the point something becomes self conscious and able to reflect on itself for good and ill
that naming

luka

its also a kind of beacon to attract other people moved by the same spirit so it draws people in

version

Yeah, the naming seems unavoidable. Think if you try to keep things undefined, you end up in similar territory to those protest movements that reject any sort of hierarchy and subsequently dissipate for lack of organisation.

luka

Somewhat paralleled in the US by what happened with Bernie. There's a whole ecosystem of podcasters, campaigners and social media personalities who've been floundering for years as their moment recedes into the past.
theres a lot of energy generated when a possibility of escape emerges. you read those accounts of great wartime escape. so long as theres a plan and a possibility. part of the energy grime had was directly attributable to so solid making pop hits.

luka

what you do when your friends have been machine gunned down in the barbed wire and the plan has failed is much more difficult.

version

theres a lot of energy generated when a possibility of escape emerges. you read those accounts of great wartime escape. so long as theres a plan and a possibility. part of the energy grime had was directly attributable to so solid making pop hits.

I liked this I read the other day...

“What comes to occupy this space is haze, solar haze. The rebellion itself is a gas, a vapor. Haze is the first state of nascent perception; it creates mirages in which things rise and fall, as if under the action of a piston, and men levitate, as if suspended from a rope."
— Gilles Deleuze, “La honte et la gloire: T.E. Lawrence,” Critique et Clinique, 1993

luka

you couldnt build what corbyn and saunders had from nothing. i dont know how it happens. solar flares or something.

version

you couldnt build what corbyn and saunders had from nothing. i dont know how it happens. solar flares or something.

That energy seems to have gone over to the right for now, apparently Reform hit 65,000 members the other day and Farage keeps emphasising that he's building a mass movement and this is only the beginning.

wg-

That energy seems to have gone over to the right for now, apparently Reform hit 65,000 members the other day and Farage keeps emphasising that he's building a mass movement and this is only the beginning.

Yeah but theyre all decrepit old bastards aren't they