william kent

Yeah but theyre all decrepit old bastards aren't they

You'd think so, but apparently they've a fair number of young supporters too; Bastani was going round interviewing people in the lead up to the election and these teenage girls he spoke to said all the people their age don't talk about the other parties at all, just Reform. There's a guy on just before them who's Reform too.

8:05 - 10:46

shakahislop

Something I said to mvuent. Probably would’ve been worth a dissensus thread back in the day:

I’ve started thinking coinages are these hugely important (and underrated) things- often as potent as ideas themselves if not more so. Things like “hardcore continuum” or “long march through the institutions” seem to concentrate and focus all this latent/dormant power that just the ideas knocking about on their own don’t manifest
this is exactly what's going on and the internet is a machine for new coinage (@sus has said this). half of what's going on is the development of new nouns. centrist dad. thigh gap. capitalist realism. manspreading. emotional labour. non-binary. a whole load of the left in particular the university left are all about giving a language to things which they think exist and which require naming. the names suck in energy, focus attention, generate new practices. there's power in names obviously, that is an old observation. nouns are empowering. to ventriloquise tricky via k punk by way of caliban: i'll master your language / and in the meantime / create my own

william kent

this is exactly what's going on and the internet is a machine for new coinage (@sus has said this). half of what's going on is the development of new nouns. centrist dad. thigh gap. capitalist realism. manspreading. emotional labour. non-binary. a whole load of the left in particular the university left are all about giving a language to things which they think exist and which require naming. the names suck in energy, focus attention, generate new practices. there's power in names obviously, that is an old observation. nouns are empowering. to ventriloquise tricky via k punk by way of caliban: i'll master your language / and in the meantime / create my own

Most recent one I've heard's 'Zynternet' for the Barstool/Rogan area of the internet, named after the nicotine brand.

Ian Scuffling

Which doesn't even make any sense in actual fact because in my experience Zyn is so ubiquitous as to be heavily used by people not at all in that scene or who even actively hate it, which probably goes to show the potency and relevance of the "leftists" frantically naming every phenomenon they see more than one tweet about

william kent

Which doesn't even make any sense in actual fact because in my experience Zyn is so ubiquitous as to be heavily used by people not at all in that scene or who even actively hate it, which probably goes to show the potency and relevance of the "leftists" frantically naming every phenomenon they see more than one tweet about

The only person I can think of off the top of my head re: Zyn is Tucker Carlson because he went on Theo Von's podcast and was basically acting as a salesman for it.

wg-

Nice provocative title at least

I genuinely think "generative AI" apps that make music/videos/images represent the end of something intrinsic to the human experience

You've now reached the point that people choose to defer human expression to the machine and attempt to monetize it in a way that removes any reward system towards genuine creators, its a really tragic idea i think

Training a computer by scraping centuries of expression and codifying genuine creative inspiration through linear algebra to take money out of the pockets of reality. Its fucking horrendous

Who is sam kriss then

luka

pretty sure he used to write for vice magazine then he did a few sexual assaults (i think) and got cancelled. hes got a substack now.

wg-

He is onto something a few times here but knowing his own context, you could also see how a "media professional" getting cancelled for (allegedly) forcing himself on women would like to make the argument that the internet is over

I have sacrificed other opportunities and lifetimes for the beast, the beast has slain me, fuck the beast