GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Boxed is back on the 24th May, by the way. The one we managed to do in Plastic People was great so really looking forward to this one man.

BItW3_zCQAAJjH0.jpg:large

Talking about Jamakabi & Flowdan... I love yardie MC's over grime. Take the most aggy & energetic dance music of the last 30 years and add the likes of Godsgift, Riko and Badness- ie. people who have never lived in the Caribbean- it's such an amazing combo and is arguably Grime at it's best. But it raises two questions. Why do I love this kind of thing even though real JA dancehall jarrs me? And why is it kosher for someone who's lived their whole life in London to put on a Jamaican accent but inauthentic if say, B-Live does an American one. Lots of people love the former, but thousands of people are laughing to the bad American accent in this Road Rap classic

Food for thought

Secundus

Talking about Jamakabi & Flowdan... I love yardie MC's over grime. Take the most aggy & energetic dance music of the last 30 years and add the likes of Godsgift, Riko and Badness- ie. people who have never lived in the Caribbean- it's such an amazing combo and is arguably Grime at it's best. But it raises two questions. Why do I love this kind of thing even though real JA dancehall jarrs me? And why is it kosher for someone who's lived their whole life in London to put on a Jamaican accent but inauthentic if say, B-Live does an American one. Lots of people love the former, but thousands of people are laughing to the bad American accent in this Road Rap classic

Food for thought
I feel like you kind of answered your own question. The american accent B-Live is doing is so immediately obviously forced that you can't help but feel embarassed for him, or laugh at him. (I'm pretty sure that) The classic Yardie grime MC's are all of Jamaican-Carribean background so they can kind of pull it off a lot more naturally while at the same time I don't think anyone in the road rap scene was raised in memphis.

Last edited:

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up

Food for thought

maybe the lyrics are just harder to relate to? or maybe you haven't listened to enough...

Logan's Sidewinder CD from 05 (I think) and Grievous Angel's 140 in the Dancehall mix are good places to start for grime/dancehall crossover

CrowleyHead

You're lucky, most rappers who try to do patois always sound awkward and ungainly. Except the actual Caribbeans, who rarely employ it with the glaring exception of say, Kardinal Offishal or w/e.

Like, Biggie rarely ever did that, even though his mom is a proper immigrant from Jamaica; but Wayne, who has no Carribean in him, "AYO MAN, WHUT DEE BLOOD-CLOT PROBLEMM!"

*sighs*

This might sound like a silly question but what point in a track do MC's start spitting. I'm used to cueing up records on the first beat of the first bar. Do they start talking on the first off beat or whatever, for some reason I can never work where they jump on.