GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

mos dan

fact music
it's not over, not by a long shot.

check wiley's 'tunnel vision vol 1' out on friday, ruff sqwad's 'guns n roses vol 2' out erm, towards the end of the month - and prepare to be blown away... don't watch the middling-quality mixtapes that have been out lately, both of these are on a different level altogether.

gumdrops

hope youre right. thought the 2nd phaze was pretty shit to be honest. i got the neckle camp CD, i like the tracks that are more grime-like. the southern hip hop style tracks are fine, but not really what i wanted to hear. neckle camp are decent MCs overall, but jammers the one with the most personality. i wanted to hear more of him. the sound of a lot of mixtapes bugs me though, its nice that its mixed down well and not amateurish but it sounds too over clean or something, theres no contours to the sound, its all a bit too perfect and maxed out or something.

in other grime news, dizzee has done a track with joss stone...

boomnoise

♫
hope youre right. thought the 2nd phaze was pretty shit to be honest. i got the neckle camp CD, i like the tracks that are more grime-like. the southern hip hop style tracks are fine, but not really what i wanted to hear. neckle camp are decent MCs overall, but jammers the one with the most personality. i wanted to hear more of him. the sound of a lot of mixtapes bugs me though, its nice that its mixed down well and not amateurish but it sounds too over clean or something, theres no contours to the sound, its all a bit too perfect and maxed out or something.

in other grime news, dizzee has done a track with joss stone...

the mastering on grime cds is terrible. this has to be improved in my opinion. it's like they're mastered from shitty mp3s. have i said this already?

mos dan

fact music
i thought 2nd phaze was the best of the boy better know cds to come out so far - u ain't real, gangsterz, so amazing... - there's some devastating beats and bars on that cd.

are you serious about the joss stone thing?

cheers for the mix logan, will go check.

gumdrops

yeah it was in a review of some gig he did the other week. that was one of the new tracks he played. would have preferred it if it was jamelia personally or lilly allen, if he had to get a big pop star, but its dizzee so i think it might be okay...

boomnoise

♫
Logan, i was just wondering if you could please clarify what exactly is going on with the Tunnel Vision mixtapes. As i understand it, they're being issued via free download because it will 'be bootlegged anyway'.

Is this reasoning correct? It seems a little counterintuitive to me. Why not just sell it first, then make it available officially for free. Is cutting off potential revenue something Wiley / grime can afford to do? It hardly serves to (re)establish a commodity value for the music and surely instead actually devalues the music.

I'm interested in your thoughts.

blacklay

Giving it away in a lo res mp3 format drives people away from market stalls and DC++ hubs and onto the official sites.

And those who want to support will still do so. the number of messages we have received from people saying they will buy it anyway has been huge.

It is an experiment, and anyone who wants to support can do so. Anyone who doesn't can get it from us directly.

I believe music in this age is only going to get less valuable as a digital medium, be it mp3 or CDs, so if people want to effectively make a donation to the cause, then so be it.

We are effectively giving people the benefit of the doubt and putting it in their hands to pay, rather than forcing them to.

I intend to do this with all my mix CDs, but it will be simaltaneous with the release, not prior to.

mos dan

fact music
well i bought it and also downloaded it in the meantime cause ukrecordshop are SLOW. will be fascinating to see how wiley does out of this. i hope it works for him, it does concern me. tunnel vision vol 1 is pretty much the most advanced, next-level stuff i've heard in a year, and i don't like the idea of it being devalued. this isn't just some offcuts off his hard-drive, this is ESSENTIAL music, the single best riposte to simon reynolds' feeling that grime's moment has passed.

basically, my fingers are crossed!

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
And that is why it should be available to be sampled by as many people as possible.

If they want the full version in the highest quality, they can buy the CDs.

boomnoise

♫
thanks for the explaination logan - i see what you're trying to do. i just hope it works. i will be interested to see how well volume 1 sells.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Yeah, this makes a lot of sense. Good luck with it Logan.

You got to be realistic about the way music is sold these days.

Those that want to support it will, whether they can get the music for free or not.

So it's best to reach as many as possible.

Spot on attitude I think.

Immryr

hmm alot of tunnel vision is heading too far into hip hop territory for my liking. although on the other hand, i would rather listen to wileys take on hip hop than most of the trash that gets shoved onto other peoples mix tapes.

C

captain easychord

^^^ are you talking about vol.1 ? if so i disagree, i don't see much hip-hop at all except for track 6.