GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

also is anyone else feeling seb zero's ground zero? really really good imo, kind of reminds me of a slightly less mature young dot, more childish (like early dizzee), still quite melancholy

re, spooky girlfriend, i think you're off the mark about mixtapes, 2007 has been great in terms of mixtapes and mixtape quality, such a mark up from 2006

oh and i think young dot (he should just call himself rotten) was at dc last night aswell, but he didnt really spit

spooky girlfriend

Wild Horses
re, spooky girlfriend, i think you're off the mark about mixtapes, 2007 has been great in terms of mixtapes and mixtape quality, such a mark up from 2006

you misunderstood, I agree this year has had some quality mixtapes (the Axiom EP alone would have made it) and there was always something to be looking forward to, but the last couple of months have been comparatively slow to me...I think it's been long established though that the scene goes through phases. As for 2006, I couldn't say, only started to follow grime voraciously about 8 months ago :D 2008 should be alot though...

this is a blast: http://www.sendspace.com/file/q4s5wq
(KOOL FM - Ruff Stuff jungle set feat MC's : Dizzee Rascal, Skibadee, D Double E & Fun)
Don't know when it aired but it must be recent.

outraygeous

the mixtape scene is not healthy for grime

i didnt attend the last DC but the previous one where Chippy was booked.

int the mixtape scene he is quite big but when he spat he had no reload bars. grime is all about the stage show for me and the hype and its just a shame that people are going down this mixtape route.

im not doing any knocking, im just have never been a fan of mixtapes/full vocals. only a few i actually like.

and another note about reload bars, these take time to develop but its been maybe 3 years since jammer dropped the murkle man bar for a reload and he is still doing it.

whereas, if you hear footsie and dee they can get reloads for more recent bars.

radio is where you develop these hype bars and i hope more mcs realise this and get back on the radio ting.

for 08, ive got money to spend on grime vinyls so if i see some good ones, im buying them

gumdrops

im not into the mixtape thng thaaaaaat much myself either... you get a few good tracks here and there which is good and im glad for those but for the most part, nahhh, radio is still where its at for me. i just wish there were more grime radio sets going on... ill still keep checking mix-cds though, cos thats whats coming out and how to get new grime. well that and radio rips from logans show. still bit wary of shelling out for the badness and teror danjah mix cds though, not sure how good theyre gonna be.

the mixtape scene is not healthy for grime

well i know quality control can be a problem in the scene, but the idea of the mixtape as an alternative to getting signed by the majors, representing the artists autonomy and self-belief in putting out material off their own backs, thats surely a good step.

i also think that all mixtape and no stage show or radio sets slowly kills the scene, but with no one apart from dc putting on a regular grime night and with next to no representation on london's pirates nowadays what else is there for artists to do?

maybe grime artists should be more proactive in organising radio shows on other stations, or putting on nights of their own (macabre unit when they did grime used to put on a few) but we've already discussed here how scatty and unreliable said artists can be, and how this has hindered progress.

i for one want to see dirty canvas get a regular radio show on rinse with rotating mc's and dj's, it would be big. also maybe the whole 2.0 phenomenon can be expanded on in the scene, so far its fuck radio is the only studio set recorded with the sole intention of being downloaded later on, i think that if crews cant get radio time then they could be a little more proactive in putting sets out.

benjybars

village elder.
also is anyone else feeling seb zero's ground zero? really really good imo, kind of reminds me of a slightly less mature young dot, more childish (like early dizzee), still quite melancholy

oh and i think young dot (he should just call himself rotten) was at dc last night aswell, but he didnt really spit

young dot spat quite a lot.. more than wiley and ice kid!

err, eskimo dance was to grime what fwd was to dubstep except it got locked after about four nights. If dirty canvas was six years ago then you could make the FWD comparison. still it is SO good that DC is doing what it's doing. (EXCEPT! the sound in rythym factory is waste. why don't they do something about it?!?!?!?!)

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Would be good if people were getting paid properly. Same as with FWD really. Rave is full up but artists are getting peanuts.

as for terror danjah, somehow i really want to like his stuff, he seems like an artist i should be into. but almost always his stuff either disappoints or is something like creepy crawler version 45

haha yeah i know what you mean, some of his instrumentals have been properly hammered though, zumpi hunter was large, and i like the whole idea of an aftershock collective promoting each other etc (apart from ms.bratt cos she is swag)... there is one tune on the mixtape, its the second one i think, that has almost the entire youngers of the scene on it, and its just massive, just huge.plus its got a new durrty goodz tune (reload it or soemthing)

terror has a really distinct sound doesnt he? sometimes it seems that he just cannot escape that maniacal laugh and plasticky beat, which is a shame.

gumdrops

some ppl dont like wileys newer beats (i do) but hes changed his sound and taken it away from the old eskibeat style - terror still seems to be working with the old aftershock template. not necessarily a bad thing, but the vocalists he works with really drag things down for me. which is why im not rushing to get the new mix-cd.

Would be good if people were getting paid properly. Same as with FWD really. Rave is full up but artists are getting peanuts.

but entry isnt exactly cheap nowadays, 10er the last one. who's getting the cut? also i think some mc's definately do more than others, wiley wasnt on that long but probably got paid more than say tempa t who was there all night practically... or am i wrong? also does jammer get paid for shouting murkleman at every dc? he wasnt even billed, i mean its nice that the scene turns up - but if you're not billed do you still expect to get paid?

some ppl dont like wileys newer beats (i do) but hes changed his sound and taken it away from the old eskibeat style - terror still seems to be working with the old aftershock template. not necessarily a bad thing, but the vocalists he works with really drag things down for me. which is why im not rushing to get the new mix-cd.

wiley's always been the don for me. the depth of ideas between eskimo, morgue, crash bandicoot, nightbus, and now his new lot (st pauls cathedral is great) is incredible. beats terror anytime.

i was listening back to a few old shotz dubs the other day and couldnt believe they werent wiley's circa the sidewinder riddim

ps i wouldnt bother with teh badness mixtape (much as i think he's great, one of the best things to happen in 2007 etc...) . save the dem dem dem tune which is huge, and the vocal of zumpi hunter the rest is a bit lacking.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
ps i wouldnt bother with teh badness mixtape (much as i think he's great, one of the best things to happen in 2007 etc...) . save the dem dem dem tune which is huge, and the vocal of zumpi hunter the rest is a bit lacking.

I thought there were a lot more brilliant tracks on this mixtape than just those ones ('dem dem' is definitely one of the best on the CD though). Tracks like 'Do It Do It', 'Dun Out Mi Ting' and the Vybez Kartel collabo 'Last Words' I'd say are definitely on the level of those mentioned by rocky. That vocal over Benga's Drums West riddim is pretty big too, I thought. He seems to have a lot of love for the dubstepper camp.

john eden

male pale and stale
That one isn't The Lava Continues is it?
I thought that one was the one where he does a bunch of freestyles over popular dancehall riddims?

Oh wow, I really want to check that out, but the link from his myspace seems to be an .exe file which won't run on a mac. Can someone up it here?