Ce'Cile and gyal dancehall

john eden

male pale and stale
on a UK nostalgia tip, anyone feel some of those old school steppa sounds femcee's like Aisha, Christine Miller, Sister Audrey, Donette Forte, Mada Nile, Sister Rasheda, Audrey Hall, Dayjah and the Disciples, Debaura Star, Deborah Glasgow, Empress Ayeola, Sistah Joyce, Jennifer Lara, Malika Madremana, Sis Nya, Jennifer Romeo, Sis Sanae... ?

Yes.

zhao

there are no accidents

where are the british femcee's like these of today?!?!?!

and why aren't they lending a much needed hand to dubstep???? (in terms of sensuality and the female touch)

i mean i can imagine Aisha voicing over some deep tech dub even wobble riddims. it'd be sick.

zhao

there are no accidents
Never heard of them but they're probably fab.

i don't know much about them either but it seems to be a chapter of UK reggae not often talked about, that of the "Sister Sounds". conscious rootsy but heavy productions from i think 80s (and 90s?)

john eden

male pale and stale
Deborah Glasgow - RIP

Sister Audrey - recently seen in Lez Lyrix documentary, so I assume still working

Jennifer Lara - Jamaican, was present when Coxsone died.

Christine Miller, Sister Rasheda - still doing UK dub I think

Audrey Hall - Jamaican - dunno

Aisha - still does stuff with Mad Prof I think?!

You've also got Warrior Queen, Ava Leigh, Lady Lex, Queen Omega, Sandra Cross, Sista Beloved, Cherine Anderson, Sister Miriam, Sister Olida, Special A.

john eden

male pale and stale
It is much under documented, possibly because the roots boys aren't soon keen on that end of things. I got vague plans tho...

zhao

there are no accidents
what i was actually wondering was where is the new generation of UK female reggae vocalists... i want to hear singing like back in the day, over half step.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
It all went a bit coffee table, didn't it?

Maybe someone will come along and do a funky house refix of one of her tunes or something... ;)

I liked "These Streets", but the rest wasn't so great. Shoulda been warned by "Way Back", which, though a great song in itself, betrayed her retro leanings rather too much...

Algierstwin

okay, this isnt by a girl. . .

but seeing as all the dancehall'ers are surely here.

whats the bait dancehall tune that goes ' never never never never etc. . "

I hear it at the raves where you cant just go up to the deejay and ask.

muser

I'm really liking Lexie Lee's tunes at the moment, Killa Queenz have done some good stuff aswell.

Last edited: