who is he? i love him!

You used to call me on my cellphone 🥺🥺😔😔💃🏻💃
read heat 2, was way better than i thought, hannas chapters are the best part, completely falls apart in the third act, there's a scene where deniros character is walking on sand dunes with his girlfriend and quotes camus to her

jenks

thread death
I would never normally recommend something with Stephen Fry in it but the Backlisted podcast on De Profundis was much better than I had expected. The two hosts - Andy Miller and John Mitcheson are both proper deep readers and placed it not just in the context of Reading Gaol but also his life before and after De Profundis. It made me think about Wilde entirely differently.

kid charlemagne

i read like 25 pages of Gaddis the Recognitions. this is teh longest book ive ever attempted. im not sure if i have the will and strength to do it and continue on...

william kent

Jumped straight into another of his. This one's called Nada and it's about a gang of misfits' disastrous attempt at kidnapping an American ambassador.

"Meyer wanted to shoot himself or just go to work - it was hard to say which."

This was even better than Ivory Pearl. Breathless stuff by the end and desperately sad. The last half or so's mostly taken up by various French security services laying siege to a farmhouse where the Anarchists are holed up. The ending's amazing. There's a particularly fucked police commissioner who goes rogue after being hung out to dry by his superiors and what happens with him's wild.

kid charlemagne

i read like 25 pages of Gaddis the Recognitions. this is teh longest book ive ever attempted. im not sure if i have the will and strength to do it and continue on...
no i dont think i have the motiviation to read something this big which i dont know anything about. saw the first book of burroughs cut up trilogy at the store the other day. may dive into that series now.

Benny Bunter

no i dont think i have the motiviation to read something this big which i dont know anything about. saw the first book of burroughs cut up trilogy at the store the other day. may dive into that series now.

We have a thread for these. I did Nova Express and Soft Machine last year, plan to do Ticket That Exploded this summer.

IdleRich

IdleRich

If it's any consolation I think the same is kinda true of Gaddis himself... he struggled to finish writing it to the extent that over the seven or so years it took to complete it, it changed and ended up being a different book to the one he began writing. Certainly the latter parts are noticeably different from the start/middle... I think I liked his "early style" better but that's probably not what you want to hear.

IdleRich

IdleRich
my mum and niece made me read Murder On The Orient Express and it's rubbish
Agatha Christie is by miles the biggest selling author ever (except when God wrote the Bible), I dunno what that means but it's probably not a good thing.

MOTOE has been made into a film so many times... Kenneth Branagh did it a few years back and changed the ending I understand. Which I guess is the only thing that makes sense... other, than... call me crazy... not doing it at all.

That said The Mousetrap is famously the longest running play of all time and I think that at the end (or maybe the start) of every performance - which is probably two times a day, six or seven days a week, for something like sixty years - they say " Please don't give away the ending" and I guess it's worked cos I don't know (or care) who did it. I'm assuming it is a whodunit, probably a safe assumption...

mixed_biscuits

MOTOE has been made into a film so many times... Kenneth Branagh did it a few years back and changed the ending I understand. Which I guess is the only thing that makes sense... other, than... call me crazy... not doing it at all.

That said The Mousetrap is famously the longest running play of all time and I think that at the end (or maybe the start) of every performance - which is probably two times a day, six or seven days a week, for something like sixty years - they say " Please don't give away the ending" and I guess it's worked cos I don't know (or care) who did it. I'm assuming it is a whodunit, probably a safe assumption...
The cheese did it

WashYourHands

cat malogen
An artefact, a ritual, a soundtrack, verse, maps, conviviality, psychedelics, mnemonics, landscape archaeology, memory, sensory inputs, phenomenology and the extent of collect agency all in one text

jenks

thread death
I actually read a Christie last week (I’m going to a live recording of Backlisted on it) and all I can say is that she is much odder than I remember. This was a late one - Endless Night from the 60s and it’s like pot boiler thriller with elements of existentialism straight out of Camus. There’s a film with Hayley Mills and Britt Ekland which I’m half tempted to check out.

jenks

thread death
@jenks on average how many pages do you think you read a day? Curious just to get a metric from someone who seems like a truly avid reader.
I dunno - it depends upon what i am reading - it usually works out at about 100 or so books a year - about 2 a week. i usually have a big book on the go along with various smaller ones. At the moment i've got the Kate Bush biog that has just been reissued, a collection of Paul Auster's non fiction, an indie press book The Quiet Act of Loving Bones by Katie Willis, the Fitzcarraldo reissue of Cannetti's Book Against Death and Deborah Levy's Hot Milk - it sounds like a lot but i don't watch a lot of telly and my kids have left home. As an experienced reader i am exceptionally fussy and do my research so that i don't waste time on things i'm not going to enjoy - i actually put a book to one side last week - i did about 120 pages of a Rumanian novel - Solenoid, it's 600+ pages long and i just couldnt see myself living with it for a couple of weeks.