mixed_biscuits

mixed_biscuits

mixed_biscuits

If the world were optimised for blind people, then the extent of some of our disabilities would become more obvious:

Stoner by John Williams. Its written lovely and im flying through it but just before the halfway point the story has devolved entirely into cliches
I'm reading this, having read Butcher's Crossing on vacation, and I'm just short of halfway. Edith has decided she's Grace's mother — you're saying it goes downhill from there? It's pretty old, were they clichés when he wrote it?

IdleRich

IdleRich
The human-built environment is just a set of disability aids for the common set of disabilities shared by somewhat disabled entities called 'able-bodied human beings'.

If the world were optimised for blind people, then the extent of some of our disabilities would become more obvious:

There is a short story by HG Wells (I think) called In The Land of the Blind where this sighted guy ends up in a community of people without eyes - far from being king however his claims to be able to see are dismissed as a fantasy and he's unable to prove his genuine "superiority" cos the place is optimised for its inhabitants. I think it ends with him having his eyes put out.

Version

O9A INSIGHT ROLE
English translations of Fuminori Nakamura

"Zen Noir" ( not a book, a description of his "style" )

I seem to be reading one or two or three of his book* a week at the moment

they are made for me

The Rope Artist - hemp rope BDSM bondage and a history of cannabis use in Shinto in a really confusing Murder Mystery ( featuring criticism of Shinto and Emperor worship )
Cult X- fate vs free will apocalyptic suicidal cult action ( featuring criticism of Shinto and Emperor worship ) + ( determinism vs free will )
The Gun - protagonist finds a gun and becomes obsessed with pulling the trigger ( determinism vs free will )
Thief - ( this is the best so far ) Tokyo based pickpocket becomes involved with evil crime syndicate ( recommended read )
The Kingdom - Tokyo based clip artist becomes involved with same evil crime syndicate as the Thief ( the evil crime syndicate boss will pontificate on Gnosticism, Cainities, Socrates, determinism and free will feature in both novels )

I'm guessing the author came from a broken home where he had to witness his mother having sex with multiple clients, just a hunch

* not a typo, it's all the same book when it comes down to it

edit: totally a typo, but there are recurring themes

edit: I had to ask a work colleague to print out some barcodes so I could pick up Thief and The Kingdom from an amazon drop off point and I had to warn him when he asked "what are they?" by replying "these books are sick but I love them, but maybe they are not for you"

edit: slightly relevant considering the Olympics - does a God who lets little children starve to death really care about who wins a gold medal? ( you'll have to read the books to understand what I'm on about, etc ), i.e., when "Southport" happened one of our office cleaners started on about how the Taylor Swift themed dance class was all about "teaching tweens to dance like little sluts" and then he went on about the Olympics opening ceremony and "they are not even trying to hide it!" and I was, like, "WHAT?", and he went "SATAN! IT WAS A SATANIC RITUAL" and I was thinking "that is why this shit happens" but he went on, "You know they are not allowed to thank JESUS when they win a medal?" and I wished for death ( because it is not the end, it is entry to a psychedelic wonderland, or at least a release from the psycho garbage I have to put up with on a daily basis, etc., ). [...] edit: just like the Manchester Arena Bombing where an INCEL targeted the objects of his LUST, the SOUTHPORT STABBINGS were an INCEL INCIDENT where a failed child actor attempted to eliminate his imaginary opposition and the objects of HIS LUST

Version

O9A INSIGHT ROLE
I'll be on the Southbank tomorrow, going to ask for a poem about butterfly knives chopping pale flesh, 50p should suffice

luka

"No one is as good as Patrick O'Brian" Dilemma.​

I'll start by admitting that I am not, nor have ever been, a prolific reader. That being said, I have a (what I believe to be) healthy family pride. My grandpa, a true Englishman in his own right, recommended to me that I read the Aubrey-Maturin Series by Patrick O'Brian. For in some parts reverence and in some parts familial pride, I recently finished my first "circumnavigation" of the Aubrey-Maturin series after a two year journey. I loved it all beyond measure.
I was completely engrossed. The series reignited my love for reading, and it has been hard to believe that the journey is over.
Therein lies my problem. I have tried to pick up different authors, of a similar style and a similar time period, but nothing scratches my itch for more of the same. I just absolutely loved reading these novels. It has been a source of strength for me, but now that it is over I haven't been able to find anything that provides that same enjoyment as I did through my first dive into a long series.
What do you do when a series from an author you respect and admire is over?
I'd appreciate any input, and I think this topic is appliable beyond my individual problem. Best regards to you all.