IdleRich

IdleRich
Read the first few pages... already intrigued. The guy (still on about Raymond Chandler) had something for sure. On the tiny sample I have to compare I find him much preferable to Hammet.... anyone else got an opinion on that one?

william_kent

Read the first few pages... already intrigued. The guy (still on about Raymond Chandler) had something for sure. On the tiny sample I have to compare I find him much preferable to Hammet.... anyone else got an opinion on that one?

yeah.. Chandler > Hammet

I'm hoping you are not expecting some sort of justification for my claim?

but take four Hammet novels ( his entire corpus? ) and pit them against four Chandler? Who wins?

Chandler...

IdleRich

IdleRich
Staying at a friend's place in London (eventually, went to the wrong house first and they let us in cos when we asked for Roz they thought we said Ross... shoes off, everything, was so embarrassed when we realised, I would have just stayed and pretended but luckily Liza was made of sterner stuff) - anyway, is this the most dissensus bookshelf ever?

Oh pic is too big... well Burroughs, Lovecraft, Clive Barker, Philip K Dick, Angela Carter etc etc

john eden

male pale and stale
  1. Hackney HOWLers - Write Women Into History
  2. Georgina Cook/Drumz of the South - The Dubstep Years: 2004-2007
  3. Donna McLean - Small Town Girl: Love, Lies and Undercover Police
  4. Mike Makin-Waite - On Burnley Road: Class, Race and Politics in a Northern English Town
  5. Rhiannon Lucy Cosslett - The Tyranny of Lost Things
  6. Phil A Neel - Hinterland: America's New Landscape of Class and Conflict
  7. BM Blob - Like a summer with a thousand Julys… and other seasons
  8. Mary Davis - Sylvia Pankhurst: A Life in Radical Politics
  9. Stewart Home - The 9 Lives of Ray “The Cat” Jones
  10. Hari Kunzru - My Revolutions
  11. Matt Foot and Morag Livingstone - Charged: How the police try to suppress protest
  12. Tim Wells - Shine On Me
  13. Sue Finch, Jenny Fortune, Jane Grant, Jo Robinson, Sarah Wilson (eds) - Misbehaving: Stories of Protest Against The Miss World Contest and the Beauty Industry
  14. Lauren Elkin - No. 91/92: notes on a Parisian commute
  15. Albert Meltzer - I Couldn't Paint Golden Angels: Sixty years of commonplace life and anarchist agitation
  16. Marion Coutts - The Iceberg: A Memoir
  17. Jacques Camatte - Origin and function of the party form
  18. Sam Moore and Alex Roberts - The Rise of Ecofascism: climate change and the far right
  19. Michael Richmond & Alex Charnley - Fractured: Race, Class, Gender and the Hatred of Identity Politics
  20. Joe Thomas - White Riot
  21. Huw Lemmey & Ben Miller - Bad Gays: A Homosexual History
  22. Edmund Davie - Lights
  23. Izumi Omura, Shunichi Kobo, Rolf Hecker and Valeriji Fomicev - Karl Marx is my Father: The documentation of Frederick Demuth’s parentage
  24. Test Dept - Total State Machine

jenks

thread death
I got told to fuck off when I put my list up last year, so I won’t bother this year…

I didn’t overlap with yours @john eden except for the Elkin, which I really enjoyed.

john eden

male pale and stale
I got told to fuck off when I put my list up last year, so I won’t bother this year…

I didn’t overlap with yours @john eden except for the Elkin, which I really enjoyed.
Yes the Elkin was really great and a favourite of mine too. I'd be interested to see your list ;-)

shakahislop

1. Hackney HOWLers - Write Women Into History
  2. Georgina Cook/Drumz of the South - The Dubstep Years: 2004-2007
  3. Donna McLean - Small Town Girl: Love, Lies and Undercover Police
  4. Mike Makin-Waite - On Burnley Road: Class, Race and Politics in a Northern English Town
  5. Rhiannon Lucy Cosslett - The Tyranny of Lost Things
  6. Phil A Neel - Hinterland: America's New Landscape of Class and Conflict
  7. BM Blob - Like a summer with a thousand Julys… and other seasons
  8. Mary Davis - Sylvia Pankhurst: A Life in Radical Politics
  9. Stewart Home - The 9 Lives of Ray “The Cat” Jones
  10. Hari Kunzru - My Revolutions
  11. Matt Foot and Morag Livingstone - Charged: How the police try to suppress protest
  12. Tim Wells - Shine On Me
  13. Sue Finch, Jenny Fortune, Jane Grant, Jo Robinson, Sarah Wilson (eds) - Misbehaving: Stories of Protest Against The Miss World Contest and the Beauty Industry
  14. Lauren Elkin - No. 91/92: notes on a Parisian commute
  15. Albert Meltzer - I Couldn't Paint Golden Angels: Sixty years of commonplace life and anarchist agitation
  16. Marion Coutts - The Iceberg: A Memoir
  17. Jacques Camatte - Origin and function of the party form
  18. Sam Moore and Alex Roberts - The Rise of Ecofascism: climate change and the far right
  19. Michael Richmond & Alex Charnley - Fractured: Race, Class, Gender and the Hatred of Identity Politics
  20. Joe Thomas - White Riot
  21. Huw Lemmey & Ben Miller - Bad Gays: A Homosexual History
  22. Edmund Davie - Lights
  23. Izumi Omura, Shunichi Kobo, Rolf Hecker and Valeriji Fomicev - Karl Marx is my Father: The documentation of Frederick Demuth’s parentage
  24. Test Dept - Total State Machine
I didn't like that Lauren Elkin book. how's the dubstep one? does it break any new ground or is more or less the usual narrative about the dubstep thing?

john eden

male pale and stale
I didn't like that Lauren Elkin book. how's the dubstep one? does it break any new ground or is more or less the usual narrative about the dubstep thing?
It's mainly Georgina's excellent photos, so no new ground is broken really. I quite like that she has staked her claim for 2004-2007 though.