william_kent

Am I correct in assuming that @william_kent @luka @woops and i are the top drunk posters? Presently intoxicated.

I may have sampled some of my duty free rum tonight....

I was about to embark on a rant about how the "for children" Tove Janson, Alan Garner, and Lemony Snicket authors are far superior to the "for adults" author Kurt Vonnegut, but I may pass out before I can type anymore...

IdleRich

IdleRich
I thought it was strange that Harry Styles did a song which I take to be named after Brautigan - his book In Watermelon Sugar I mean - which is a truly strange book which at first appears kinda hippy-dippy but which is actually quite dark.

petergunn

plywood violin
i love the early ballard novels. maybe there's some ropey short stories. i cant really remember. i think i even like the ropey short stories.
I like them too... they're closer to straight sci fi, and again that vibe that he's churning them out to pay the rent, they can't all be gems... I like early PKD genre stuff to like The World Jones Made, they're like elevated b-movies...

Hello America was a surprise to me bc it was written after his most "Ballardian" books (Crash, Concrete Island, High Rise, The Unlimited Dream Company) and it's a return to his early writing, which is to say it's more or less straight sci fi with nothing sociological/odd about it...

But, "Empire of the Sun" is the book I return to the most and recommend the most to people as it doesn't have that suburban english late 20th ennui/coldness... it's also not a memoir, tho he did write a memoir of his childhood and it's interesting to read that and contrast it with Empire...

IdleRich

IdleRich
Him and Jim Harrison pop up in a fishing documentary I've posted before.

Makes sense cos Trout Fishing In America is one of his most famous books and, I just refreshed my memory of Watermelon Sugar by reading the wikipedia article and it seems that trout fishing gets mentioned quite a bit there too.

To be clear TFiA is not about fishing... I seem to recall the characters writing the titular phrase on people's jumpers and everywhere else too for that matter.

malelesbian

Femboyism IS feminism.
"The Phenomenon of Life" by Hans Jonas (Highly Reccomended)
"Materialist Phenomenology" by Manuel DeLanda
"The Phenomenological Mind" By Zahavi and Gallagher
"The Critique of Practical Reason" by Kant
"The Origin of Species" by Darwin

and of course
"Bodies that Matter" by Judith Butler

jenks

thread death
Just started Ágota Kristof’s The Notebook. Part of a trilogy centred two children who have to live with their grandmother during Nazi occupation. It’s told in a really spare style but us all about how they try to make themselves invulnerable to pain but also tender feelings. As if they are trying to negotiate a pragmatic way through great trauma. I’m finding it absolutely gripping.

ghost

"The Phenomenon of Life" by Hans Jonas (Highly Reccomended)
"Materialist Phenomenology" by Manuel DeLanda
"The Phenomenological Mind" By Zahavi and Gallagher
"The Critique of Practical Reason" by Kant
"The Origin of Species" by Darwin

and of course
"Bodies that Matter" by Judith Butler
Refreshing to meet someone who still believes that The Continent can save them!

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Still reading "Tale of Two Cities". It gets a lot better in part three, where 'we' travel to France and Dickens gets to froth at the mouth about the sweaty, blood-stained savages sharpening their swords on the grindstone, etc. The fickle, sentimental, savage populace, the madness of crowds. The only downside being we lose the comic caricaturist at this point, for the most part.

He writes equally if not more savagely about the aristocracy, so he's not on the anti-revolutionary 'side'. In many ways he's as cynical and misanthropic as Flaubert is in 'Sentimental Education', except his protagonists are rescued from his misanthropy, which Flaubert would never countenance.

Anyway, he's an amazing writer when he gets in the swing of things, these big rhetorical crescendos he does—and a relish in language that often tips over into something on-the-nose and tasteless, but at its best reminds me of Shakespeare.

Also for 'Ulysses' fans he uses the word 'metempsychosis'.

jenks

thread death
I re-read it recently. The thing that struck me most was the fascination with the mob - it was like reading something about the Chinese cultural revolution, the savagery of a mass of people, their base desires for violence and summary justice against the individual who stands for something noble. Not very well expressed all that, sorry.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
No I agree that is the most interesting thing about it.

Based off reading this he seems to be most on fire as an artist when he's disgusted by things. Which is funny cos he's seen as this very cheerful, sentimental author – which he is, but when he's expressing fear or disgust or contempt he's usually very powerful and/or hilarious.