DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Thats truely shocking. When I first heard this music, Kode9 was an embodiement of the sound and its ethic - forward thinking and unafraid to do things his own way. I wonder how much of an effect his refusal to play by the scenes rules [both in his own music and selections, and in interviews etc] has had in this.

Memories of the Future is, to me, more innovative and diverse than alot of dubstep labels collective output - upon first listen the lively sonics where a relief from low end monotony - surely decent dj's [as those who play at presumably dmz are] realise the importance of a varied selection in maintaining audience interest. Unless the audience craves monotony, which is perhaps the problem.

Its not that I'm a synthetics-head, it just the mixture at times is a bit queasey on Kode stuff, specifically the new album tracks not pre-released as singles.

The point about no one dropping hyperdub tracks in their sets is apposite tho: Outside of a few more creative DJs like Kode and Pinch (the latter eclectic in a different way of course) the dancefloor orthodoxy runs pretty much from halfstepping bass led action to cheeky dub/ska referencing stuff and that's it, most of the time. So whilst Burial's been getting his props everywhere, his sound has had almost zero influence in a dancefloor context (besides perhaps tempting a few old skool dark garage/early dubstep pros back into the spotlight?). There are reasons for this however: A lot of Burial's productions on his first album sound mucky, dusty, and overly busy in a club, (all qualities that make the music much more interesting to absorb on headphones at close range though) I remember hearing Kode9 dropping "Distant Lights" into his set at DMZ a few months back and whilst I was loving it, it certainly didn't rock the sound system in purley sonic terms.

elgato

I just dont know
also could somebody please youtube a video of people raving it up to hyperdub or DMZ cos it's just something i'd have to see with my own eyes before i'll believe it. Ive seen stills of people facing the dj with their hands in the air but that ain't dancing

man i wish you could go to a dmz set, trust me, people dance! can you not see people going mad for left leg out, rufage, haunted, bury the bwoy...?! if you ever do get the chance you really should do it

The other thing is, we don't do rewinds here in NZ. It's mostly all about the seamless mix and staying in it as long as possible so you tend to subconsciously time the drops and breakdowns. Although i've read the BD piece on it i still don't get how it works. Does the dj just stop the record and wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel it back or has he got 2 of the same and what does the crowd do in the mean time ??? Here in NZ if the drop or breakdown sucks or takes too long everyone just walks off the dance floor...

dj comes out of the mix, the tune drops (or maybe the mix continues), the crowd goes wild, ppl jumping up and down etc, waving their hands in circular motions to indicate they want a rewind, then it gets pulled up... theres silence for 10 seconds or so while the tune is re-cued, the crowd busy themselves recovering from the excitement of the drop and preparing for the next. i love it, but i also love more cohesive sets... each have distinct qualities

daddek

I remember hearing Kode9 dropping "Distant Lights" into his set at DMZ a few months back and whilst I was loving it, it certainly didn't rock the sound system in purley sonic terms.

i remember that too. it was the one of the only tunes played that night where I genuinely lost myself in the music, closed my eyes and pogo-ed on the spot for the duration. That and the mala alicia keys rerub. So i disagree.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Ah, I loved it, but it did sound wrong, or perhaps rather, significantly different to almost everything else played that night. In that it is not optimised sonically, the bass deliberately indistinct, rather than scientifically calibrated to produce maximum physiological affect. Perhaps what's needed is a night consisting entirely of music of that particular sonic bent? His newer productions (? who knows when they were written tho?) like Versus rock much more convincingly in the club context, I would imagine anyway...

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Outside of a few more creative DJs like Kode and Pinch (the latter eclectic in a different way of course) the dancefloor orthodoxy runs pretty much from halfstepping bass led action to cheeky dub/ska referencing stuff and that's it, most of the time.

Most of the time maybe. Both Cyrus and Benga (who more or less bookended the night) played a lot of non halfstep, non dub/ska type stuff at the last DMZ. Both on a bit of a technoid tip in fact. Not sure how well I remember Benga's set though. :)

elgato

I just dont know
His newer productions (? who knows when they were written tho?) like Versus rock much more convincingly in the club context, I would imagine anyway...

apparently that newest track with jamie woon which was aired on mary anne hobbes recently was engineered by Reso, a producer of more beefed up persuasion, so i imagine that'll be hitting a bit more cleanly. i find it very hard to imagine how that might work given the nature of soundforge though...when engineering is mentioned does it not mean more than just post-production?

daddek

it is not optimised sonically, the bass deliberately indistinct, rather than scientifically calibrated to produce maximum physiological affect.

So? that maximum bass impact thing gets long after a few hours of relentless pounding.. unless there's mid-range or melodic interest accompanying it. Blissblogger had a point

Perhaps what's needed is a night consisting entirely of music of that particular sonic bent? His newer productions (? who knows when they were written tho?) like Versus rock much more convincingly in the club context, I would imagine anyway...

No whats needed is more balls. There's bare people who love hearing hyperdub played out, the demand is there. But in the new current jump-up climate, if a tune doesnt get pulled three times, the dj looks at the dub and thinks twice about playing it again. Hyperdub music, thankfully, is not scientifically built for maximum drop impact. Its built for falling into, for slowly embracing you and pulling you under.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I agree, broadly speaking, except that most successful club music is relatively unmurky. this presents problems for the hyperdub krew... or opportunities for new producers to capture some of that rhythmical thrust and sonic heft and build it into more dance-floor ready productions?

Whats the opinion on that Jamie Woon track, by the way? Couldn't quite decide if it was magically awesome or teetering on cheese...

yeah elgato, i suppose i can visualise people dancing to the more upbeat tunes but not in a way I see hot chiccas dance to funky breakbeat...

...and somewhere between the K9 rephlex/grime stuff and 'memories' something happened. I don't know if it was musical growth, the impact of working with spaceape or the merging of his theory and practise but i don't like it

different strokes is all and thats not to say he won't once again astound me...

elgato

I just dont know
i think the jamie woon track is amazing. i think that the line you describe is more or less otm, but thats no bad thing! a lot of music i love nowadays rides that line and relishes it (although i'd say this one tips further towards deep in a more straightforward sense than some)

i agree with the more djs needing balls thing. the key is with new up and coming djs like heny g, cluekid, cotti and whistla etc, cos i do think, to be fair, that people like n-type and youngsta just go with what they love, and thats fair enough, it just happens to correlate with the more dancefloor-friendly sounds. but the next wave will be absolutely key to how things go

nah undisputed it aint gonna be dancing like that! but girls do dance, a lot. i still love the rephlex tracks so much too, i was listening to ping today, it still gets me every time

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I like cheese in a pop/handbag sense, (at times, esp in danc it can work wonders) but this is a bit more kind of tasteful "deep" variety, a bit too smooth without being terribly popish... the knowledge that Gilles Peterson loves it is slightly disturbing to me!
All the same I can't wait for more Burial albums/12".

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I like cheese in a pop/handbag sense

Cheese is sometimes the only way I can empathize with people.

That's why Sinead O Connor's 'Nothing Compares To U' is the best song in history.

Someone make a dubstep remix of it NOW. Mary Anne Hobbs will definetely play it, and then it will also become the best song "on the face of god's green earth."

elgato

I just dont know
Mary Anne Hobbs will definetely play it, and then it will also become the best song "on the face of god's green earth."

lol

gek, i know what you mean, but i still think its sick. and imo giles peterson has played some very good music in his time. i hate his manner, and he comes off like an idiot, but i dont mind some of the stuff he has supported

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Hmm. He clearly knows his stuff and is a good chap, but I don't like a lot of the tasteful smooooooothness of it. He's almost like the Jazz/Downtempo Jools Holland or something in my brain. A handbag-ish aesthetic is almost the opposite of this smooth, beard caressing sound, in that its more plasticy slightly tacky even, and therefore when combined with dark sonics around it creates a kind of cognitive dissonance effect.

On second listen "Wayfaring Stranger" isn't that bad, the clopping 2 step rhythm track is brilliant, and the mix of straightforwardly soulful vox and thick, glistening Massive Attack/Darkcore style atmospherics could have properly mainstream appeal. Whatever happened to the original 2step mix of "You Hurt Me" though? That was another Burial track that edged decidedly towards a mainstream pop sound...

Last edited:

elgato

I just dont know
no i know what you mean about peterson, and to be honest i find him incredibly irritating, but im quite partial to a touch of hands-in-the-air organic broken beat so he had something to offer me...

im gonna relisten to the woon track

i really really hope that the next burial 12" on hyperdub is You Hurt Me with that remix on the ep... its SO good. i really like burial's sound when he turns on more of the uplift, ala Versus, its a really curious contrast of murk and dust with the shimmer and euphoria

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Yes, I completely agree. Its the tracks with either the pop influence creeping in (which he handle brilliantly as he's pretty nifty melodically) or the kind of deranged uptempo stomping kind of stuff like "Versus" (which I desperately need to hear in a club ASAP) and "South London Burroughs". His down-tempo maudlin stuff can get a bit draggy at times IMHO.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Is that semi-official or what? When I heard it on that Blackdown mix in late spring/early summer I thought it was quite special, surprised its not been released yet, but then again, in Dubstep release waiting times are a bit ridiculous (see also Mala and Pinch with seemingly 100s of paradigm shifting tracks sitting on hard disks or existing as a mere handful of dub plates)

Status
Not open for further replies.