DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

mos dan

fact music
And what of urban monoculture outside of the UK. London isn't theonly place with decaying city streets. If youve' seen one you've seen em all just like a McDonalds the world over.

stand outside east croydon station in the mucky november rain (*hums guns n roses quietly*) then tell me this. i'm only half serious about that. but i don't think we've become that monocultural.

people really loathe the idea of a scene though don't they? had some fule from sheffield having a go at me on dubstepforum because i said casually that i was bored of hearing coki's 'burnin' all the time.

what i wanted to say, but withheld, is 'look mate, it's not my fault i'm in london and you're in sheffield'. i'm not gonna lord it over people cause i can pick up rinse on my radio and i can walk to dmz if i want to, but then equally why should i take shit from people who are pissed off that they feel excluded from something i'm not personally excluding them from?

dubstep is more from london than it is from anywhere else. deal with it.

We've got some pretty cruddy streets too ya know. For all the clean, green new zealand the tourism board pimps overseas the only thing that makes a difference is the size per capita of NZ. Pollution wise we're right up there and along with every other gloomy western social indicator we stand shoulder to shoulder with the best of em.

and yeah scenes and scenesters suck. Maybe in about 6 weeks I'll write a view from the outside/other side of the world and put in all the good shit like...

...It's not so much i dislike DMZ or skream i just think benga is better, prefer scuba to loefah, boxcutter over kode 9, toasty over burial and dub police as label of the year

come to think of it, what's the point if I just said all that ???

cheers gek

daddek

I too had a little groan at his top 5 Dubstep of the year, not cos its wrong per se (apart from the Kode9 Album being anywhere near there

Why. Because N Type didnt play it?

In 10 years time kode9s album will still be an interesting, involving and rewarding listen. 95% of the dubstep records released year wont be. They will sound as boring and vapid as an alex reece record sounds today. Hyperdub makes dubstep worth listening to.

echevarian

babylon sister
but there are massive reference points everywhere you look to attach the genres to that heritage... it doesnt mean they cant draw from new influences

i dont see why you would want to deny that... why do you?

Partially I'm trying to play Devil's advocate.

Trying to look at the established narrative and see if there is anything else I can draw out.

For me at least having one of my favorite production teams remix a song which I find slightly abhorrent, like Horsepower did with Elephant Man's Log On, creates a lot of mixed feelings.

How can the same people who made Sholay, and Electrobass, and all those great tunes that I love, and which are clearly garage tunes, turn around support one of the most infamously anti-gay dancehall tracks in the last 5-10 years I don't know.

I want to believe it wasn't for financial reasons.

I really want to believe that they were trying to do something subversive.

But the Paradise Garage was a gay bar, Larry Levan died of AIDs.

UK Garage wouldn't exist without him.

I just have a hard time calling anything with any batty bashing in it garage.

Obviously Grime was more of a reaction against apparently wealthy, snobbish DJs, and against coked out clubs where your average kid off the street couldn't get in.

But its got some of that sentiment as well, Wiley uses batty as an insult.

Yes obviously groups like SLT Mob and Darkstar wouldn't really be around without 2-step, United Vibes do a really good job of mixing modern dubstep with its 2-step precursors.

But there is a definite push away from that kind of music in both grime and dubstep.

echevarian

babylon sister
I'm really not that thin skinned, I listen to way too much Southern rap for that.

Just bugs me when I find out that people I admire hate my guts on principle.

echevarian

babylon sister
Oh hell, I've been emo, since back in the day.

(Hides Sunny Day Real Estate cds)

Its just something I (mostly) suppress now.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
but the best way to do that as someone mentioned upthread is to create your own take on the last year, and explain why you think he's wrong...

It was me who suggested it...

I too had a little groan at his top 5 Dubstep of the year, not cos its wrong per se but because it lacks any element of surprise.

what's your top 5 then gek? (definitely 5, because if mine had been a 10 it might have had zombie's memories or pinch's 'one blood') Also in terms of orthadoxy i think i have the right to draw attention to the fact that i didnt chart any of the hundreds of coki/kromestar/hijak/wobblecloners that dominated the dancefloor.

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
Finally someone who is not afraid to switch styles and mixes some minimal with dubstep. It's not that RV has the only right to do so, please continue.

*bookmarked*
FWIW

I have been blending minimal techno and some electro/ crunk and dancehall even the odd house classic into my dubstep mixes for many months now.

The last one has audion and basic channel: its at the subfm archives below in the link on my signature on the november mix.

there is a full tracklisting here:

http://www.dubstepforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=10829

peace.

elgato

I just dont know
Partially I'm trying to play Devil's advocate.

Trying to look at the established narrative and see if there is anything else I can draw out.

For me at least having one of my favorite production teams remix a song which I find slightly abhorrent, like Horsepower did with Elephant Man's Log On, creates a lot of mixed feelings.

How can the same people who made Sholay, and Electrobass, and all those great tunes that I love, and which are clearly garage tunes, turn around support one of the most infamously anti-gay dancehall tracks in the last 5-10 years I don't know.

I want to believe it wasn't for financial reasons.

I really want to believe that they were trying to do something subversive.

But the Paradise Garage was a gay bar, Larry Levan died of AIDs.

UK Garage wouldn't exist without him.

I just have a hard time calling anything with any batty bashing in it garage.

Obviously Grime was more of a reaction against apparently wealthy, snobbish DJs, and against coked out clubs where your average kid off the street couldn't get in.

But its got some of that sentiment as well, Wiley uses batty as an insult.

Yes obviously groups like SLT Mob and Darkstar wouldn't really be around without 2-step, United Vibes do a really good job of mixing modern dubstep with its 2-step precursors.

But there is a definite push away from that kind of music in both grime and dubstep.

ahh i see, sorry i didnt realise it was primarily a political rather than musical thing. yes, i can see what you mean. i think most of us who enjoy music from other cultures experience this kind of clash of enjoyment and morality (although not often in so personal a way as you). i hate that i love that elephant man remix so much (along with all the grime and hip-hop)...

i reckon they probably did it cos as a vocal (i.e. not lyrically, but sonically) it is very very good. but whos to say

but yeh, i liked your piece

elgato

I just dont know
none of this would have happened had the undisputed truth not been exposed as hell sd, i found it was completely gratuitous and mean spirited.

if this was me then i apologise, being relatively new to the board i wasnt aware of the sensitivity of the situation, i certainly didnt intend it in mean spirit. i also thought it was quite obvious who he was

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Why. Because N Type didnt play it?

In 10 years time kode9s album will still be an interesting, involving and rewarding listen. 95% of the dubstep records released year wont be. They will sound as boring and vapid as an alex reece record sounds today. Hyperdub makes dubstep worth listening to.

Of course its a great label. Kode 9 is a fantastic label boss and theorist, and he's far and away the most exciting, least purist DJ in Dubstep. He's my favourite DJ by a long long way. But would it be harsh to say I like his early work better than the rest of the album? Also one of his best tracks (Fukkaz) isn't on there, which is irritating as it is fantastically imaginative and forward thinking, and Spaceape really works on that tune, wheras on some of the tracks on the album his stentorian flow begins to get a bit much- maybe if someone like Mark Stewart was cutting loose and shrieking all over the place it would give a bit more energy to it...? I also find his production style has too many elements of different provenance (ie the digital stuff not meshing with some of the more dusty sampled materials) to cohere sometimes. I'm not going to slate the album, cos its perfectly fine for what it is, but its just not the stunna that the hype might have you believe, in my opinion at least...

@ Blackdown: Yes, rightly so you've dodged the dullard-wobbler krew, but outside of the Dubstep Forum most people tend to be slightly disdainful of that, don't they? I mean Skream obviously has a hard-on for the tunes of Kromestar et al, but most critics have been pretty dismissive of stilted half-step lfo-abuse fests.

Last edited:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
@ Blackdown: Yes, rightly so you've dodged the dullard-wobbler krew, but outside of the Dubstep Forum most people tend to be slightly disdainful of that, don't they? I mean Skream obviously has a hard-on for the tunes of Kromestar et al, but most critics have been pretty dismissive of stilted half-step lfo-abuse fests.

gek i didn't write that top 5 to please the forum wobblers. i didn't write it to please the blogsphere. i wrote down the top 5 dubstep tunes that ripped my soul out in 2006...

mms

sometimes
FWIW

I have been blending minimal techno and some electro/ crunk and dancehall even the odd house classic into my dubstep mixes for many months now.

The last one has audion and basic channel: its at the subfm archives below in the link on my signature on the november mix.

there is a full tracklisting here:

http://www.dubstepforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=10829

peace.

good stuff, i've sometimes done a bit of that, just to switch things up, a few stiffer tracks or funkier tracks like some detroit electro, stuff like aux 88, decompression by mathew jonson do nicely, but i've always tried to mix dubstep and grime together with older tracks when i can as well, a touch of steppers too, this is when i feel like doing that and people let me dj to them :slanted:

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
This was by no means my idea, I've been listening to Selector Dub U's sets - top quality stuff. I'm an amateur DJ at best, this man knows his stuff.

Thanks!
Kudos to you also for mixing the minimal stuff in.
you know your stuff as well :)

Nice writing on your blog as well.

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
good stuff, i've sometimes done a bit of that, just to switch things up, a few stiffer tracks or funkier tracks like some detroit electro, stuff like aux 88, decompression by mathew jonson do nicely, but i've always tried to mix dubstep and grime together with older tracks when i can as well, a touch of steppers too, this is when i feel like doing that and people let me dj to them :slanted:

thanks . yeah i have always found it difficult to be a purist about genres of music. It just so happens that i like dubstep alot right now and i find it challenging and fun to try mixing different styles of music with it.

Also alot of the direct beat (aux 88) stuff is at about the same tempo as dubstep. so it just seems like hey- why not try mixing the two together?

Btw would like to hear a mix by you mms.

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
gek i didn't write that top 5 to please the forum wobblers. i didn't write it to please the blogsphere. i wrote down the top 5 dubstep tunes that ripped my soul out in 2006...

blackdown thanks for being honest about your preferences.

keysound no 2 is in my top 5 fwiw . the burial remix on that is just amazing.

Last edited:

daddek

But would it be harsh to say I like his early work better than the rest of the album?

No that wouldnt be, but the exact words were "anywhere near" a top 5. That's harsh. I cant accuse of being wrong but I would ask you give it some props. And in BD summerising this year, I think its essential to draw as much attention to hyperdub as possible, cos that shit is not getting play from the core deejays. I haven't heard one hyperdub tune at DMZ, except for kode9s sets. wtf.

On a side note, I love the fact that he samples, that warm, imperfect dustyness is so needed in that scene. So much of dubstep is all squeeky-clean, sterile synthesis.

its just not the stunna that the hype might have you believe, in my opinion at least...

Considering some of the utter dross that has been hyped to death (literally) during this year's dubstep-mania, honestly I didnt think it was hyped enough. Not outside of this board anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.