DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha Ha!

Blackdown, yesterday:

"Then today, I get a call from the NME asking about a dubstep primer they're running, which has a Hadouken boxout as part of it. Apparently indie clubs are having "a dubstep hour". Eeek. Ah well, my primary gripe with the NME (and all the powerful rock press) is that they're so narrowly monocultural, so I won't complain when indie clubs embrace the bass."

Is this real? How would this work (how could this work?) amongst the coke-electro and post-punk ordinaire derivative grey guitar wash? Baffled more than anything else. Do they really mean Dubstep, or are they actually on about Grime...?

Answers on a postcard...

IT BEGINS!

petergunn

plywood violin
so did anyone spend 9 pounds on the Richie Spice Coki refix from dubplate.net?

i was considering it, and then it sold out while i was thinking...

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Keep DMZ free of indie kids!

:D

I'm actually starting a dubstep/grime themed night in Toronto that is being held at an inconveniently located venue to perform this exact function - making sure indie kids don't come. I held a Southern rap night here during the summer that was highly attended by indie kids, and by the end of it seeing them all showing up in their bandanas (tied tightly around their necks no less) and their "rap hats" (with the sticker left on) and their skinny jeans, the whole thing started to seem like a fucking minstrel show.

so did anyone spend 9 pounds on the Richie Spice Coki refix from dubplate.net?

i was considering it, and then it sold out while i was thinking...

I did. It made me have another moment where I realize what a terrible junkie I am for grime and dubstep vinyl. I CAN'T HELP MYSELF. FREE ME FROM THESE AWFUL PUSHERS OF DUBPLATES.

shudder

I'm actually starting a dubstep/grime themed night in Toronto that is being held at an inconveniently located venue to perform this exact function - making sure indie kids don't come. I held a Southern rap night here during the summer that was highly attended by indie kids, and by the end of it seeing them all showing up in their bandanas (tied tightly around their necks no less) and their "rap hats" (with the sticker left on) and their skinny jeans, the whole thing started to seem like a fucking minstrel show.

I take it you won't post this on stillepost then? Whennish is this going down?

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
It's absolutely tragic innit. I need it back, especially as the Rinse stream seems fairly unreliable at the moment. Where else do people find good for picking up mixes at the moment?

gumdrops

http://www.timeout.com/london/clubs/features/2674/2.html
mala sounding a bit snooty towards grime:

<i>Perhaps DMZ escapes scrutiny because – despite being about bass-heavy, urban music – it avoids the grime tag. DMZ’s co-promoter Mala seems surprised when I get in touch: ‘We’ve never booked any grime artists. What we do is totally different. Ninety-nine percent of the music we play is instrumental [as opposed to MC-led], we support and promote quality sound, and decent people create a positive vibe.’<i>

elgato

I just dont know
dunno if he's being snooty really, he obviously just isnt into aggressive vibes or the punk aesthetic, which is fair enough really... i dont sense a tone of superiority, just that he knows what he wants (and is probably a bit confused as to why he's being spoken to for such an article!)

ThinKing

http://www.timeout.com/london/clubs/features/2674/2.html
mala sounding a bit snooty towards grime:

<i>Perhaps DMZ escapes scrutiny because – despite being about bass-heavy, urban music – it avoids the grime tag. DMZ’s co-promoter Mala seems surprised when I get in touch: ‘We’ve never booked any grime artists. What we do is totally different. Ninety-nine percent of the music we play is instrumental [as opposed to MC-led], we support and promote quality sound, and decent people create a positive vibe.’<i>

what? how is that snooty? He's simply stating a fact. Sound quality and positive vibes are of the utmost importance in dubstep dances, and far less so in the grime scene.

oh and hi, ain't posted on here in aaaaaaaaages.

boomnoise

&#9835;
have to chime in to also say that i dont think that is snooty in the slightest.

and mr thinking - didn't know you were even here! lol

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
This quote does sound *potentially* snooty to me, as if grime types aren't decent. But crucially you don't know if quotes have been strung together. ie "are you a grime night?" - "no" - "so you don't have any trouble?" - "no it's all decent people".

No reason to think he's hating.

petergunn

plywood violin
have to chime in to also say that i dont think that is snooty in the slightest.

and mr thinking - didn't know you were even here! lol

saying grime fans aren't "decent people" is something i'd expect from a right wing politician, not a young musician, regardless of genre...

petergunn

plywood violin
what? how is that snooty? He's simply stating a fact. Sound quality and positive vibes are of the utmost importance in dubstep dances, and far less so in the grime scene.

oh and hi, ain't posted on here in aaaaaaaaages.

not sure whether to post this here or the grime thread, but...

when i was in LDN i went to Dirty Canvas at the ICA and the Warrior Dubz release party at Mass and i did not notice any more or less positive vibes at either event. both seemed to be filled with young people listening to music they enjoyed. the audience at the Warrior Dubz event seemed more white and university student dominated and the audience at Dirty Canvas was a little younger and more mixed between black and white, but to anyone over the age of say 40, they was very little difference between the 2 events.

i have seen fights at bars in england; staying in Camden Market, it seemed there were fights all the time on weekend nights, sometimes outside of pubs, sometimes outside of chip shops, sometimes outside of rock clubs. to me, this just seems to be racially based, which is a drag.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
saying grime fans aren't "decent people" is something i'd expect from a right wing politician, not a young musician, regardless of genre...

But that's my point, I wouldn't be too sure he's said that.

(a) his quotes may have been run together
(b) I think the context of the questions might not have been entirely obvious

gumdrops

i wouldnt be surprised if thats exactly what he said, just cos im sure ive read other dubstep guys saying similar things.

Status
Not open for further replies.