DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

shudder

why must it always be evil journos twisting someones words. he might have said it exactly as printed.

because the standards for quoting in journalism are so low. Sure, Mala could have said that, but I wouldn't take the journo's word for it.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I spoke with Skream when he came into Toronto and when I questioned him about grime music he was equally as unenthusiastic and was going on about how the production levels are so low, and how the instrumentals could never stand alone.

There still are plenty of people in the dubstep scene who rep grime and disprove that though: Plastician, MRK 1, Kode 9, Chef, Darkside, Wonder, Geeneus etc.

Youngsta is a big grime enthusaist too. I remember going to BMSoho once to buy some records and asking Nicky about a certain grime release and he said "Come back tomorrow and ask Youngsta, he'll tell you what colour pants they were wearing when it was recorded."

:)

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I find it ironic that people are STILL banging on about the difference in production quality between Dubstep and Grime... when to my ears they sound pretty similar quality-wise, I mean Dubstep is often more instrumentally filled out, but in terms of the engineering side of it, they are both generally slightly rough sounding (with a few exceptions in both genres- ie Wiley's productions appear to get slicker and slicker, whereas a lot of fruity-loop wobble-step is rough and ready, unpleasantly simplistic even...)

petergunn

plywood violin
I find it ironic that people are STILL banging on about the difference in production quality between Dubstep and Grime... when to my ears they sound pretty similar quality-wise, I mean Dubstep is often more instrumentally filled out, but in terms of the engineering side of it, they are both generally slightly rough sounding (with a few exceptions in both genres- ie Wiley's productions appear to get slicker and slicker, whereas a lot of fruity-loop wobble-step is rough and ready, unpleasantly simplistic even...)

it is funny, as when i play dubstep to my friends who are dub reggae fans, they make the same comments about it: "the sound quality is shit"...

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I know engineering quality is by no means the be-all and end-all to a genre's success (and that "ruff-ness" can be a deliberate sonic trait in itself) but outside of a few people (Distance, Pinch, Shackleton) the engineering quality in dubstep is significantly lower than other dance music forms. Perhaps this arises cos when its played out on an appropriately weighty rig the bass conquers all... but all the same it is noticeable, and does make me chuckle a bit when Dubsteppers say things like "oh its grime produced properly" or nonsensical shit like that...

elgato

I just dont know
i agree on all the grime v dubstep nonsense, bollocks to that, i dont like seeing so much emphasis on producers' throwaway comments, they just have their own opinions and i think thats fair enough, why should they be brought to task? ask a lot of grime producers what they think of dubstep they'd probably say some equally derogatory things

i dont think the engineering levels are lower in dubstep than most other dance... mala, loefah, distance, vex'd, pinch, skream... some have sounds with a rougher edge, but to me that doesnt indicate inferior engineering - crystal clear and rounded sound isnt always the zenith surely? i may be wrong but i suspect that trying to get 99% of producers to get something so stripped to sound as weighty and full as a dmz tune would be a very fruitless task. it comes down to a conceptual thing i guess... whether high engineering standards are objectively measurable or something more abstract?

gumdrops

theres some grime tunes/producers with high production levels like say, terror danjah or geeneus, but i think most people think of the production standards in grime as being = young dot's bazooka. but the engineering, 'finish' and overall 'well made-ness' is wayyyy higher in dubstep as a whole than grime.

a 'rough', so called 'cheap'

sound is what a lot of the attraction in Grime is but then its also a creative direction...then you get the more polished stuff like True Tiger, Terror and that which is another creative direction

in dubstep its the same thing except dubstep records are longer most times with more different sections (longer intro's, pauses, gaps, bridges, more change ups etc blah blah)

all that really matters at the end is...has that resulted in a good track or not? amongst other things

sorry for the slight hi-jack

*tries to usher Grime out the post but it starts asking for a reload*

mos dan

fact music
There still are plenty of people in the dubstep scene who rep grime and disprove that though: Plastician, MRK 1, Kode 9, Chef, Darkside, Wonder, Geeneus etc.

You're right about most of that list, but I haven't seen Geeneus play anything other than extremely bait dubstep records in ages now. Seriously, his sets at FWD are absolute snoozefests. If I want to watch someone play solid Benga records for an hour, I'd prefer to watch Benga do it - at least he might have some new ones.

I can only assume that Geeneus sold his garage soul at the crossroads in return for being the Founding Member and CEO of Dubstep Ltd. You would think a PAUG dj would know a 2step beat when he heard it. You would be wrong.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
You're right about most of that list, but I haven't seen Geeneus play anything other than extremely bait dubstep records in ages now. Seriously, his sets at FWD are absolute snoozefests. If I want to watch someone play solid Benga records for an hour, I'd prefer to watch Benga do it - at least he might have some new ones.

I can only assume that Geeneus sold his garage soul at the crossroads in return for being the Founding Member and CEO of Dubstep Ltd. You would think a PAUG dj would know a 2step beat when he heard it. You would be wrong.

Regardless of his sets at FWD>> (which I can't vouch for), the last 12" he put out was dutty. Dark Boy and Parasite are both massive tracks that defy the assumed dichotomy between grime and dubstep.

oblioblioblio

Wild Horses

I wouldn't say this is true at all. In dubstep I think there is a massive focus on the physical side of production. I can't vouch for every single producer, but it's obvious that a big number work very hard themselves and with Jason at Transition to master the art of the science of sound.

In fact, I would go as far as to say that I think it is one of the main things that defines the current dubstep scene, the intense focus on the physicality of sound and how to properly translate feelings into vibrations via a weighty soundsystem.

boomnoise

♫

hahahah. don't forget, as the nme point out: the dubstep scene revolves around ammunition promotions.

but joking aside, genius has gone off the boil. why does he bother playing what he plays when he undoubtedly has access to far more interesting dubs to play.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I wouldn't say this is true at all. In dubstep I think there is a massive focus on the physical side of production. I can't vouch for every single producer, but it's obvious that a big number work very hard themselves and with Jason at Transition to master the art of the science of sound.

In fact, I would go as far as to say that I think it is one of the main things that defines the current dubstep scene, the intense focus on the physicality of sound and how to properly translate feelings into vibrations via a weighty soundsystem.

Its absolutely engineered with its functionality in mind, this much is true. But compare an average dubstep track (a Coki wobbler say) to the average electronic tune, and the crispness of individual sounds, the stereo field created etc is often toss in comparison... which makes it ironic that Grime gets such a ribbing...

Leo

noticed boomkat has skreamism vol 3 listed (out in a few weeks)...anyone heard it? any changes or same style?

when barefiles was up, you're normally familiar with so many of these tracks before they're released. damn, i miss barefiles. :(

elgato

I just dont know
noticed boomkat has skreamism vol 3 listed (out in a few weeks)...anyone heard it? any changes or same style?

its got the Check It Vocal version, two very intense wobbler tracks, and then Lose Control, which is absolutely sick, all frenetic pizzicato strings and shuffling snares, with an amazing switch midway through

mos dan

fact music
will try and have a barefiles update for you later today. but it won't be the same as it was. that's all i can say for now.

I refer the honorable gentleman to my written statement of the 14 March pertaining to 'Dubstep Ltd'

a little preview from mine and Alex's Wiley interview:

"Can you explain why Geeneus, when he plays down FWD now, won't drop a single grime beat or garage beat, it's just straight dubstep?

Yeah you know why? This is what he's trying to do: you see what Roni Size tried to do with the jungle or drum 'n' bass scene, where it's theirs? That is what he's trying to do. They're looking at grime going 'nah, it's just kids going mad, forget about that, but dubstep is our thing. I'm Randall. I'm Grooverider'. But really no-one's no-one.

I like dubstep though, and I will go over there and say 'I'm Ray Keith'."

He had some nice things to say about Skream as well if I recall..

Numbers

Yeah you know why? This is what he's trying to do: you see what Roni Size tried to do with the jungle or drum 'n' bass scene, where it's theirs? That is what he's trying to do. They're looking at grime going 'nah, it's just kids going mad, forget about that, but dubstep is our thing. I'm Randall. I'm Grooverider'. But really no-one's no-one.

I love wiley's tracks, but with all respect, doesn't that say more about wiley than about geeneus? Not that I am an expert, but what was that again about him retiring from grime and then suddenly planning to turn up at Hatcha's show?

mos dan

fact music
I love wiley's tracks, but with all respect, doesn't that say more about wiley than about geeneus? Not that I am an expert, but what was that again about him retiring from grime and then suddenly planning to turn up at Hatcha's show?

yeah it's just wiley's opinion, which should always be taken with a pinch of salt, but it's not like he's not close to geeneus is it? it's an informed opinion.

re funky ouse, have you heard that purple track (called 'purple says' i think) with the line 'bun dat funky house, bun dat funky house'? makes me laugh. sorry to go o/t

Status
Not open for further replies.