DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
His own productions are thrilling bass kick thrumming feats of non-half step brilliance, but his DJ sets frequently lapse into long sections of trudging drudgery... (vis: every DMZ set for a year or so...)

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
most of the crowd was standing still or just swaying a bit until he started playing mid range wobbley stuff... there was basically no sub in the mix, mostly mid to low end and very crisp highs, i think the club wasnt cut out for it. might have been more enjoyable had i felt it in my belly but i could have a conversation quite comfortably on the dancefloor......

he played a few nice reggae refixes, and of course left leg out went down well as did an anti-war dub refix, but a lot of it was much too slow, basic & plodding

i was really looking forward to it, so it was a real shame :(

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Yeah Mala's one of the last people I would expect to fall into halfstep monotony. Dubstep at it's best is rich in rhythmic variety - I love all the funky syncopations you can get when two or more different beats are in the mix and playing off each other. That new skull disco record sounds like that feeling making it into the tracks themselves.

DWD

he played a few nice reggae refixes, and of course left leg out went down well as did an anti-war dub refix, but a lot of it was much too slow, basic & plodding

i was really looking forward to it, so it was a real shame :(

He was in Berlin before Xmas and played the best dubstep set I've ever heard - really kinetic, polyrhythmic stuff. So when he was in Prague a month or so ago, I hopped on the train and went. And ... the first hour or so was pretty much what you're describing here. Real gloomy plodding vibe. I assumed he was just in a bad mood, or had been ripped off by the Prague cab drivers (like we had!).

Thankfully, after an hour of sludge, he dropped Left Leg Out and then really changed gear. And went on, and on, and on ...

Sorry you didn't get that.

ThinKing

don't forget Mala does rep more Loefah/Coki beats when he's playing on his own, and pretty much all their stuff is halfstep nowadays...

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I think he often does an early part of the set which is a kind of droney, industrial, punishing sound, you have to suffer it to get you into a place where you can really appreciate it when he drops the more up-ful stuff.

I love that whole journey - you have to stay with it like you do with say Theo Parrish or even Sneak.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
I think too many people have got caught up in the feverish anti-half step monotony thing, so much so that they're in a place where they'll automatically dismiss anything remotely sparse.

It gets dangerous when any one sound starts to dominate but that's not to say there's anything inherently wrong with the style in itself.

benjybars

village elder.
I think too many people have got caught up in the feverish anti-half step monotony thing, so much so that they're in a place where they'll automatically dismiss anything remotely sparse.

It gets dangerous when any one sound starts to dominate but that's not to say there's anything inherently wrong with the style in itself.

my feelings exactly

Status
Not open for further replies.