DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
mms said:
intelli-grime.
anyone who uses that expression will personally be strangled by me.

and me.

mms said:
those kind of mistakes have been made before and should not be repeated.

exactly. the 'intelligent jungle' tag had classist/racist overtones as far as i'm concerned (the point being that by suggesting that the jungle styles that had less ragga influence and was sold in '97 to the white middle classes was more 'intelligent' implied that somehow jungle and the junglists who liked it were less so).

grime has presented a whole portfolio of innovative new ideas in a very short period of time. to suggest it's somehow less 'intelligent' is both clearly wrong and making the same mistake twice.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Paul Hotflush said:
Not so shy about breaking dubstep up into sub-genres though, are we?

1. my position, as you know, is that there was no 'breaking' of dubstep into sub-genres - there already were several long-standing existing parallel styles dating from the scene's earliest days circa 2000 - one of which was called dubstep - that some people more recently had not chosen to resolve properly.

2. looking broadly, the issues around naming in dubstep/the FWD scene are trivial compared to the severity of class/race slurring that went on in the 97 'intelligent' jungle period.

3. do you really have to start this debate again? frankly i think it's all been said several times before.

BrokenFist

Crackin Skulls
Intelli-grime is an extremely condescending term towards grime. It probably won't make dubstep look any better but it certainly will turn off newcomers to the 'regular' grime sound. It's like saying, "Don't listen to grime, it isn't good enough. Listen to me instead."

Last edited:
3underscore said:
Well all your points seem to be about self ligitimisation at the expense of anyone else who is making dubstep by sweeping statements.

If you look at the dubstep wars pictures, then try and apply your jurisdiction on culture and its use in music, you may notice you have pretty much ruled out all the people who created the sound.

Congratulations. Do not pass go. Do not collect £200.
I don't know what their culture is in any pictures i don't even know what most of the people who created the sound looklike but I bet i wouldn't not see many chinese, arabs or balkans using their native sounds outta london and making dubstep...

...we don't do cultural sounds in our beats you won't find a balkan flute, a chinese percussion or a morrocan string in there cos we aren't any of those ethnicities and would feel kinda stink about it if we did use em

you won't even find a polynesian sound on them yet and you won't in our guise as HELL_SD...

...yeah self ligitimisation of what we do and can only speak for us. We're the Dept of Hell Science, it's what we do, it's outlined in our charter. We're also dubmuggaz, we sneak up on it, give it the bash and take all its money :p though most would say I'm a dumbugga and what money ???
bassnation said:
let me get this right, you are proposing a kind of racial segregation of musical influences, where you can't use a polynesian instrument unless you are polynesian, for example?

whereas you don't come from jamaica or london and you can happily use those ideas and sounds but that doesn't count, because dubstep is not cultural - its just people smoking weed, right?

either its all up for grabs, or none of it is. nobody has the right to ring fence ideas, thats not the way human society works.

dismissing dubstep as non-cultural music is not going to cut it as an argument. people live and breath the ideas, the shared language - its a culture to them, and being contemptous of that, whilst at the same time being defensive of your own cultural artifacts is inconsistent and unfair.
...and yes i suppose i am saying that I am proposing a kind of racial segregation of musical influences, where you can't use a polynesian instrument unless you are polynesian, for example? but I would replace racial with ethnic/cultural and am prepared to make exceptions

it's like people walking around with Maori tattoos thinking they are some neo tribal cultural afficianado without possibly realizing that those symbols have meaning and ties to lands and peoples...hah take your tattoo and get the fuck outta here if you don't know the history !!!

Another example is who's to say that a flute sample used isn't from a local funeral dirge and totally out of context but it sounds cool when you're irie ??? does that make it fair game to abuse ???

i can't wait for the first american true white brother to use native rhythms and chants in dubstep, no really i can't ;)

...so anyway tell me about this dubstep cultural ownership thing and define the culture for me and how you live it ??? how it differs from how we live in an urban environment ??? How do you live and breath an idea any differently from us ??? what are the traditions, values and icons underpinning dubstep culture ??? What jamaican or london sounds do you hear in our music that you think we use ???

I respect jamaican culture, my lady is white jamaican/meso american, I have studied a bit of rasta, have dreads and don't eat pork, so what if I drink a little and have the odd ciggy guess that makes me a hypocrite too but then again I don't claim to be rasta. Anything we use, we use knowing why and where it came from...

..if you listened to our shit you'd see we don't sound like anything coming out of dub or london so if you want to claim the word dubstep suh weet. We just make beats that can fit into and around dubstep but it's not true dubstep cultural music cos it doesn't come outta london ??? fine, we can buy that

I don't even buy that definition of culture from the dictionary cos that's a eurocentric definition and we don't define our culture by european standards...

...so no, it's not all free and none of it up for grabs. Indigenous cultures have the right to ring fence their cultural property, that's how society works in those respective societies and thats what most european colonists don't understand, is that you can't assimilate shit for your own purposes and expect the natives to be cool about it. Just cos you appropriate a few symbols, recreate or embellish the art, then pull some global nature of how society works bullshit, don't expect us all to buy it

so it's inconsistent and unfair well that's life...
Paul Hotflush said:
your outlook and attitude depends almost entirely on your surroundings and your personal reaction to them.
which implies culture, values and traditions which shape our identity and i don't identify myself as european, don't have a tradition of ripping off cultures and assimilating them based on a supposed god given right of cultural superiority, have values that are based on things like honesty, respect, integrity, nobility which doesn't exactly help in the music biz and react differently because of it...

...best thing anyone can do is not bring culture into it and the artifacts of culture which aren't yours to use unless you know exactly what the history of their use is and treat them with appropriate respect

for instance I don't have a problem with kode9's sinodub cos i remember his homage site to samurai culture so know that he does respect those traditions and maybe upholds those values therefore uses the samples he does with reverence and it comes across. When combining that with space apes dub sensibilites and spoken word from his culture it becomes something that is honest and resonates a lot more with me than some other stuff which does sound like it's just been tacked on more importantly that the rest of what surrounds it has been tacked on...

...one man's truth is only ever their considered opinion and you just got mine

BTW Inca March I have been listening to stuff over the years and everytime i hear something out of context I think of those places and those people who's music it is and wonder how they feel...

...and don't even think of mentioning spirituality or how being drunk fuck and wasted in a club brings you closer to god cos you can hear a flute sample that sounds like it has a spiritual vibe

yeah i got a lovely bunch of coconuts... :p

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
Intelli-grime? Run go suck your mum. All that intelli shit is limp dicked, elitist, stimulate your mind not your feet coffee table rubbish. Don't insult Dubstep with that shit. Look how far Intelligent Dance Music went once it crystallized under that banner. Right up its own ass to die.

As far as wiggers trying to participate in urban culture and getting it wrong, so? I find that pretty interesting. It's just another part of the comedy of errors we call music, art, life. I'm a self-identified wigger, would you have me put down my grime records and pick up an electric guitar because I was born white? Please see: run go suck your mum, above.

And saying that dubstep is not a culture is very ignorant. It is very clearly a culture, has it's own practices, history, norms, traditions, meeting places that all shape the music very intensely. If you don't get that you are probably willfully ignoring it. It is a culture to the same extent that Hiphop is a culture. If you'd like to deny that I have a legion of self-righteous backpackers you can talk to.

There is such a thing as cultural dialogue based on a mutual exchange of ideas and respect that is not just thievery and appropriation. And there are times when thievery and appropriation can make for good art, even if it is in bad taste. Witness for example JA Dancehalls wild and kleptomaniac thieving of everything from Cindy Lauper hooks to Biggie lyrics. It's wierd, often in poor taste, but has been known to create some crazy dancefloor bangers. Not to mention tons and tons of hiphop records out and out stealing from just about everyone under the sun, like it or not. Sometimes stealing something and putting a frame around it and saying 'this is my art' is a powerful artistic statement, morals and ethics aside.

If you feel that everyone should sit inside their cultural fence and respect everyones boundaries (although it seems your more into it when it's convenient) than have fun inside your fence there. But first I would ask, have you spoken to any practicing rastafarians about your decision to wear locks and not practice the faith which they signify? Those who I have spoken to on the subject are FAR from sympathetic to this practice. They call such people "Fashion Dreads" (I prefer Impostafarians) and they are generally held in deep contempt. Wearing locks was something which in the early days of the rasta movement in JA could bring down real hardship on the wearer and therefore is a sign of commitment and resistance. To claim that sign but not it's practices ignorantly is one thing, knowingly is another. Be careful where you place your cultural fences, you may find yourself on the wrong side of them.

And saying that being into ganja/garage/electronica in NZ and in UK are the same is mindblowing. Do you want to be the same as them? If not I can't think why you would claim that. I am very much into all of the above but grew up in NYC and I am delighted because it means I am making something very few other people are making, some kind of wierd dancehall/hiphop/grime music that is not quite any of the above. To me that's a strength and something to celebrate, and something that my bredren in the grime scene respect. I played some of them one of our new tunes which is our own musical response to grime with our jamaican friend MCing on it and they were like "yeah, he's repping for his ends, we can relate." They didn't care that he's not from London, they recognized that it was different but that the goals were the same. To do original, honest music and to rep for your own self, your friends and where you're from, which is what we're all trying to do.

And I swore I would never get involved in another message board argument like this, but here I did it again. And to all involved, suck your mums aside, don't take it personal.

Hey guys, I know Dubmugga can be a self-publisizing pain in the arse, but I can sort of understand some of his points. Early last year I wrote a post* that questioned the use of ethnic sounds in dubstep, but that was cos I was intent on understanding the enviromental conditions that created the sound, and Digital Mystiks' "Lost City" (dank, subterrainian, urban) seemed a more truthful vision than Cyrus' "Lost City" (exotic, tropical). But Cyrus' track was still appealing to my ears. He may be a stocky little plumber from sarf London, but if he feels drawn to those sounds and can incorporate them into something interesting, then I'm all for it.

If you wanna explore the sonic territory of your own culture/enviroment, then go for it and lets hear the results, but I try to take each track at face value - if the vibe is moving me, then does it matter how/where/why the textures were applied?

Oh, and i wouldn't encourage the term 'intelli-grime' either. sure, we need terms to distinguish different flavours/approaches, but let's not get on that intellectual thing again. I'm up for some 'Armchair grime' though ;)

*incidentely, that's the first time I've read that post since I wrote it. Its quite naive. There was so much unknown for me to explore just 12 months ago.

Last edited:
excellent stuff sizzle...

yeah I know a few 12 tribes of israel peeps, used to kick it with a few of em, even let some make a record in my spare room, spent alot of time reasoning with them and have great respect for their beliefs and practises, only smoke ganja/kaneh bosm to burn the incense in my temple and to cash my reality check with the creator but i draw the line at Haile Sellaisie being the messiah and even HIM self did

art is indicative of culture but it is not culture and recreating artforms doesn't make you a cultural practitioner. Grime isn't culture, dubstep isn't culture, rap isn't culture, its just music

We make a conscious effort not to clone anybodies sound and do make stuff that is a localised form of hybridised electronic and we know how and why we do from the history of it but cultural music ???...get the fuck outta here, we don't do that yet. If you want to think that and thats how you do then good luck with that

So Im ignorant then school me up bro...

...define for me then dubstep culture, traditions, values, practises, norms from a scene that only became what it is in the last 5 years and I'll parallel it with how I do on the other side of the world while still keeping my cultural heritage safe from the vampire

I don't buy hiphop culture either and can apply fashion dread mentality to fake ass hiphop and grime urban ghetto, brainwashed by the man, global media bullshit posturing, legion of self righteous backpacking tourists who can roll that shit up an blow smoke up their arse with it...

...phew

yeah I'm a self publicizing pain in the arse :D but we do make as good a beats as anyone and trying to pull some eurocentric culture shit on us to hold us back just fuels our fires. So how the fuck else are we gonna pimp our shit if I don't go hard ???

yeah i know, let the beats speak for themselves and others speak for the beats, retain an air of mystery and mystique about who you are and bask in the adulation but fuck that. It's not part of the experiment i'm conducting in line with Hell Science Dept policy or something i think artists should do

We all know we have egos so enough with the fake humility shit and blow your own horn as loud as you can. Why the fuck not? You know you want to. At least be honest about it ??? I mean, what's a blog if not the same ???

I agree about taking stuff at face value and letting it move you but like this post, don't think you know me at all by what i write thats just a fraction of who i am, the hell scientist part and i barely even know the rest of me. By all means read between the lines and guess. I may be the biggest lying hypocrite out there. I even printed me a hypocrite tshirt which i wear with pride as a joke or was it ???

likewise i read between the lines of what i hear and can only guess at the culture and motivation of the people making dubstep so would appreciate any schooling i can get...

I build a fence to protect me and mine. Who doesn't??? try and take it then suffer the consequences

Me got big bad pasifikan juju that'll shrivel up your mojo and that of your progeny. We been doing it for while here in NZ. Polynizing the colonists :D

...and bleep I don't even know what a chromatic scale is ???

(edited for my horrible punctuation) :eek:

Last edited:

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
hahahahah, go on hell_sd, fair enough. I gotta go do radio right now, everyone lock in www.wnyu.org 10:30-1AM NYC time (how's that for self promo) but I'll come back and lock horns about all this culture clash thing later on.

Haven't heard your music yet, maybe I'll have to check it out still...

bassnation

the abyss
HELL_SD said:
...so anyway tell me about this dubstep cultural ownership thing and define the culture for me and how you live it ??? how it differs from how we live in an urban environment ??? How do you live and breath an idea any differently from us ??? what are the traditions, values and icons underpinning dubstep culture ??? What jamaican or london sounds do you hear in our music that you think we use ???

well, first of all i'm not a part of any scene, i just like the music.

personally i've got no problem with you making dubstep or calling it dubstep, in fact i think its wicked that theres people such as yourself all over the world who will be producing it.

HELL_SD said:
I don't even buy that definition of culture from the dictionary cos that's a eurocentric definition and we don't define our culture by european standards...

its an english dictionary, so i guess it is eurocentric - but you seem to imply that theres a bias in the definition. i don't see that - surely we aren't going to quibble about the meanings of everyday terms?

HELL_SD said:
...so no, it's not all free and none of it up for grabs. Indigenous cultures have the right to ring fence their cultural property

personally i think you misunderstand how information travels between groups of human beings. do you support the french in their efforts to keep the french language "pure" and stop outside influences? just how successful was that effort?

although i do accept your point about at least understanding what your using and the respect involved in that.

HELL_SD said:
what most european colonists don't understand, is that you can't assimilate shit for your own purposes and expect the natives to be cool about it.

but you are assimilating influences from elsewhere - and you want others to be cool don't you? i don't think you need to be so defensive about making your music.

like i said, good on you, keep on keeping on - but its a two way street all the same.

Last edited:
fuck the french i don't suppport them at all !!!

I still havent forgiven them for bombing the "rainbow warrior" but more so for fucking up the Tahitis, irradiating Mururoa atoll and poisoning the ocean around it...

...and yes, in any language there is a cultural bias towards defining things outside of the culture whose language you are using. Some things can't be defined in english without losing their native meaning.

It's not our music I'm defensive about, it's my culture and it's artefacts i am defending, as an example to show how others might feel having their music re interpreted without consent and used in a manner that might not be appropriate, though thankfully no one has done it to polynesian sounds yet that i'm aware of...

...and yes again, we are assimilating influences but not ethnically based cultural musical phrases which get used out of context and if we were to use them we'd probably record a native player of that particular instrument

we just wouldn't feel right sampling outside of our culture to make stuff solely for the purposes of giving it an ethnic vibe but that's just us...

...if other people are cool with it then that's them but my elders would give me shit if I used traditional songs and chants in a disrepectful way

Hell Science Dept - GETTO

http://s4.ultrashare.net/hosting/fs/4f988e874f494563/

more step less dub...Aotearoa stylez

as a suggestion listen to it while watching these...

imag21.3.jpg

http://www.kiddofspeed.com

wow...

I never realised how live-o this post was/is....hell_sd...I like your arguments....

oh yeah let me contribute - whose heard this dubstep producer called 'cluekid' (I think)? Some mad tunes he's got man...

also how can these music's (not jus dubstep) be considered cultures? do they teach you how to raise a family, build a community and such and such? culture on whose terms aswell? they are lifestyles.

Last edited:

nine

variable spray
Tactics said:
I never realised how live-o this post was/is....hell_sd...I like your arguments....

oh yeah let me contribute - whose heard this dubstep producer called 'cluekid' (I think)? Some mad tunes he's got man...

also how can these music's (not jus dubstep) be considered cultures? do they teach you how to raise a family, build a community and such and such? culture on whose terms aswell? they are lifestyles.

cluekid is heavy

but

since when did music culture become reducible to family values/reproducing humanoids?

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
gonna just switch up my style today and do some agreeing.

re: fuck the french. Yes I agree, their underwater nuclear testing out there was definitely very very fucked up.

And although I previously argued about putting up fences the French government actually did an interesting thing in this area. By making it legally required that radio stations play I think 50% french language and maybe even locally french music they prevented the total american pop-ization of their musical culture and basically created a safe space for this whole vibrant French hiphop movement to arise. Probably not what they wanted since they're now locking those guys up for allegedly inciting the recent riots but still...

And something else that's been on my mind and is sort of related but off topic for dubstep is: breakcore producers sampling capleton in 2006. Just STOP! PLEASE! YOU ARE PLAYING YOURSELF! Learn about some other singers to sample! Better yet make friends with some actual jamaicans and record them. Or even just pay to get some specials cut. I'm not saying the music is bad but the wholesale thievery and shallow interaction with the music is LAME. It would be a bit cooler if there was some comment or dialogue with what was being sampled. But just sampling capleton for the 9283409283409820th time because he sounds 'angry and cool' is stupid. He's probably angry at you!

bassnation

the abyss
SIZZLE said:
And something else that's been on my mind and is sort of related but off topic for dubstep is: breakcore producers sampling capleton in 2006. Just STOP! PLEASE! YOU ARE PLAYING YOURSELF! Learn about some other singers to sample! Better yet make friends with some actual jamaicans and record them. Or even just pay to get some specials cut. I'm not saying the music is bad but the wholesale thievery and shallow interaction with the music is LAME. It would be a bit cooler if there was some comment or dialogue with what was being sampled. But just sampling capleton for the 9283409283409820th time because he sounds 'angry and cool' is stupid. He's probably angry at you!

this is the problem with bedroom producers, a lot of the time all thats available are what they can find in terms of acappellas on soulseek.

this is what i like about kode9s stuff with spaceape - wicked poetry set to dark beats, unlike anything else coming out of the scene.

at least someone knows....

nine said:
cluekid is heavy

but

since when did music culture become reducible to family values/reproducing humanoids?

but the distinction between music culture and culture wasn't made or did I miss something? reproducing humanoids lol - you type/'talk' like you aren't one!

Status
Not open for further replies.