DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
Slothrop, seems to me the only difference between the two approaches you describe is what you call the finished product. If I am an IDM producer and make a dubstep tune, who's to say what genre it fits in? The people who buy it and play it will decide. If it gets played in dubstep sets, than likely as not it's a dubstep tune.

I have to say I find the whole 'keep dubstep pure' movement that's picked up lately really unappealing. If the music can't survive a little rough and tumble with a few other genres without losing it's identity than maybe there's a reason for that. If the music is as great as you think it is it will survive all such encounters and come away more diverse and enriched.

There haven't been many dubstep tunes lately that have caught my interest, I feel things are getting orthodox and formularized and so I'm happy to see new blood fucking with the formula. I don't think this is going to stop the producers I like from making good music, so who cares?

this guy just gets better and better

SIZZLE said:
Slothrop, seems to me the only difference between the two approaches you describe is what you call the finished product. If I am an IDM producer and make a dubstep tune, who's to say what genre it fits in? The people who buy it and play it will decide. If it gets played in dubstep sets, than likely as not it's a dubstep tune.

I have to say I find the whole 'keep dubstep pure' movement that's picked up lately really unappealing. If the music can't survive a little rough and tumble with a few other genres without losing it's identity than maybe there's a reason for that. If the music is as great as you think it is it will survive all such encounters and come away more diverse and enriched.

There haven't been many dubstep tunes lately that have caught my interest, I feel things are getting orthodox and formularized and so I'm happy to see new blood fucking with the formula. I don't think this is going to stop the producers I like from making good music, so who cares?

another great post

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Tactics said:
another great post
Yep, I know when I've been merked.

I still suspect I've got half a point though, re the positive effect that a bit of sparseness and atmosphere would have on dnb or idm, although after lunch on a friday probably isn't the time to try to articulate it... I'm as against Jungle Committee type action as the next guy, though.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Blackdown said:
invariably, people making these kinds of musical choices don't see your points above. perhaps voting with your wallet is the best action?
Or keeping trying until I'm good enough to vote with my sequencer, yes.

Don Rosco

SIZZLE said:

Agreed. It's quite unwelcoming for me coming from a predominantly jungle background, even though i've been buying it since before Tempa 001. I only really realised all that dubby garage I was buying was dubstep in the last year or so. Sometimes it's great being isolated from all that, and just having the music.

Having seen what happened to jungle, i'm surprised some dubsteppers haven't learned what happens when you try to lock that shit down...

polystyle

Hearing that Sizzle , Don R

'Keep Dubstep pure' ... LOL , best laugh so far today.

Of course, if the artists want to stake that out ...
Different strokes for all folks
So Cross breeds , full breed all come out where ever you are !

Dubquixote

Submariner
Don Rosco said:
Agreed. It's quite unwelcoming for me coming from a predominantly jungle background, even though i've been buying it since before Tempa 001. I only really realised all that dubby garage I was buying was dubstep in the last year or so. Sometimes it's great being isolated from all that, and just having the music.

Having seen what happened to jungle, i'm surprised some dubsteppers haven't learned what happens when you try to lock that shit down...

not sure i see much of a 'keep dubstep pure' mood. skream is making more and more reggae sounding beats. mala getting housier. loefah experimenting with oldschool 808 hip hop style. coki remixed alicia keys. kode 9 is doing an lp of vocal dubstep. benga's new beats are filled with more and more tingly rave melodies. new producers like geiom and timeblind have produced amazing original new variations on the sound. any protectionism i've heard is really specifically about preventing dubstep from becoming as narrow and unadventurous as dnb. whatever stupid things people may say on message boards about keeping dubstep pure, i don't think that reflects what the artists at the center of the scene are doing. the beats are as creative as they've ever been. there's just more copy cats now that the sound has grown in popularity.

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
I think dubstep would have the brightest future if dubstep producers just asked people on dubstepforum.com how they thought dubstep should develop and then did the opposite.

Don Rosco

Dubquixote said:
whatever stupid things people may say on message boards about keeping dubstep pure, i don't think that reflects what the artists at the center of the scene are doing.

Yeah, I agree with that too, it's less about the music than some of the heads. It's just some internet static, but it can be off-putting if, like me, your only chance to play these beats where there's people listening is on an internet radio show. If I go to Dubstep forum, and possibly even here, and plug my show (which i've been playing jungle on for 12 years, and doing occasional dubstep / 2 step shows for the last 5 or so), it seems i'd just be some blow-in DnB head to them. So I don't bother my hole. Maybe i'm over-reacting, but that's the vibe i get. I can't say it bothers me too much, but it's worth noting I think.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
The great thing about dubstep is the way it still feels open, so long as the top producers keep edging outwards/inwards towards different sounds then it will be exciting, the last refuge of innovative dance music (well, along with minimal, but that's innovative in a different, more textural manner). A lot of the people on Dubstepforum seem fine, with a nice broad taste in music, but there is a cadre of goons who appear to have made arsehole-tastic behaviour both in terms of purism and other things (ie- the over-lambasting of Gutta for a minor indescretion) their raison d'etre...

mms

sometimes
Dubquixote said:
not sure i see much of a 'keep dubstep pure' mood. skream is making more and more reggae sounding beats. mala getting housier. loefah experimenting with oldschool 808 hip hop style. coki remixed alicia keys. kode 9 is doing an lp of vocal dubstep. benga's new beats are filled with more and more tingly rave melodies. new producers like geiom and timeblind have produced amazing original new variations on the sound. any protectionism i've heard is really specifically about preventing dubstep from becoming as narrow and unadventurous as dnb. whatever stupid things people may say on message boards about keeping dubstep pure, i don't think that reflects what the artists at the center of the scene are doing. the beats are as creative as they've ever been. there's just more copy cats now that the sound has grown in popularity.

coki remix alica keys?
is that officshal?
that timeblind record is ace i agree there..

boomnoise

♫
mms said:
coki remix alica keys?
is that officshal?
that timeblind record is ace i agree there..

i'm pretty sure the alicia keys remix is by mala and it is more than likely it will never come out.

dubstepforum wih almost 3000 members is bound to have a few problems but overall its a good place.

^you reckon ???...hahaha

but anyway,if you go back and listen to alot of early DMZ, Loefah, kode9, even now with stuff like DJ omen and pinch you'll hear how it won't be long before someone just slams the double time beat over it, instantly turning it from half time to something more danceable...the age of the dubstep bootleg is fast approaching

Whats good about that is, it won't affect the sublow rumblings cos the kick and rolling snare will all fill the mid range. It'll give the d'n'b heads something to play with also, instead of them thinking they can actually make decent dubstep from the ground up

The whole thing reminds me of ouroboros, the snake that eats it's own tail by turning back on itself and trying to eat it's past it is reminiscent of jungle taking halftime ragga vocals and doubling the beat

http://www.crystalinks.com/ouroboros.html

and get over the gutter thing gek, he has...

machine hugger

(())(())((+))(())(())
Dubquixote said:
new producers like geiom and timeblind have produced amazing original new variations on the sound.

Timeblind, I guess, is quite new to dubstep fans but the man has got his history.

crucial-systems.com. check this out some heavy and FREE d/l's.
He has some pretty tight licks, music-wise.

mms

sometimes
voldemort said:
^you reckon ???...hahaha
but anyway,if you go back and listen to alot of early DMZ, Loefah, kode9, even now with stuff like DJ omen and pinch you'll hear how it won't be long before someone just slams the double time beat over it, instantly turning it from half time to something more danceable...the age of the dubstep bootleg is fast approaching

all their early stuff is double time really - its still got that 2 step swing in it.
the double time stuff nowdays doesn't have that 2 step swing in the same way earlier stuff had, but has an real hybrid sound, ie the dmz style beats etc, actually arent turning back to the early sound.
there is no real need for bootlegs as the producers constantly remix each others projects, i think dubstep has a really good feedback/peer way of dealing with growth and innovation when its at its best.

mms

sometimes
machine hugger said:
Timeblind, I guess, is quite new to dubstep fans but the man has got his history.

crucial-systems.com. check this out some heavy and FREE d/l's.
He has some pretty tight licks, music-wise.

yep it seems like a natural progression for him to do what he does now.

mms said:
there is no real need for bootlegs as the producers constantly remix each others projects, i think dubstep has a really good feedback/peer way of dealing with growth and innovation when its at its best.

Some of those older tunes sound a bit dated or are just too minimalist and wouldn't hurt with someone injecting new life into them by adding to what is already there. Listen to the K9/Loefah/DMZ tunes on grime rephlex 2 and see if you can hear some slamming beats over them ala early Shut up and Dance styles.

Of course there is no need for it but it's a lot of fun to do and in keeping with the great underground dance music traditions. It's what d'n'b heads and the breaks guys already do and are good at, so let em at it.

Tell me more about this really good feedback/ peer way of dealing with innovation and growth when at it's best. Does that tie in with your point about certain producers only remixing and playing out each others projects ? Please expound more.

Does any one know if the reason the Alicia Keys remix by Mala not coming out because it is an unsanctioned bootleg remix ?

The only new double time stuff that is getting me going is protocol X but some would argue that it and the storming camp including toasty aren't really dubstep. I therefore think it'd be good way to close the gap between the fulltime breaksteppas and the halftime wobblers by doing doubletime bootleg remixes of classic or modern halfsteppas.

Not really feeling timeblind either, it sounds like he's aiming for the head instead of the heart. Too clever and pretentious rather than instinctual and guttural. I hear too much time in Berlin does that to you.

To each their own though and it's just my opinion, so don't lose any sleep over it.

mms

sometimes
voldemort said:
Some of those older tunes sound a bit dated or are just too minimalist and wouldn't hurt with someone injecting new life into them by adding to what is already there. Listen to the K9/Loefah/DMZ tunes on grime rephlex 2 and see if you can hear some slamming beats over them ala early Shut up and Dance styles.

Of course there is no need for it but it's a lot of fun to do and in keeping with the great underground dance music traditions. It's what d'n'b heads and the breaks guys already do and are good at, so let em at it.

Tell me more about this really good feedback/ peer way of dealing with innovation and growth when at it's best. Does that tie in with your point about certain producers only remixing and playing out each others projects ? Please expound more.

Does any one know if the reason the Alicia Keys remix by Mala not coming out because it is an unsanctioned bootleg remix ?

The only new double time stuff that is getting me going is protocol X but some would argue that it and the storming camp including toasty aren't really dubstep. I therefore think it'd be good way to close the gap between the fulltime breaksteppas and the halftime wobblers by doing doubletime bootleg remixes of classic or modern halfsteppas.

Not really feeling timeblind either, it sounds like he's aiming for the head instead of the heart. Too clever and pretentious rather than instinctual and guttural. I hear too much time in Berlin does that to you.

To each their own though and it's just my opinion, so don't lose any sleep over it.

tons of malas faster stuff and some of skreamz stuff is 140ish bpm and really innovative -- i think by putting beats over older dubstep you will just create a sort of breaks style mentality ie regressive and not particularily useful when there is so much stuff coming out now of a high quality. i think sme of those tracks older tracks are rather more maximal than the newer bits, much more 2-step beat innovation in em, personally i'd like to hear a bit more of that really but i think thats kinda there now.

dmz or fwd djs are really aware of hype tracks cos the crowd want em rewound or speak up about em on message boards and they let unreleased stuff go on mixes so crowds instinctivley sanction music. As does the cordial remixing of peers tracks.

i dunno if berlin is really any more pretentious than london and seems to be absolutley going off with loads of raves and that, i'd rather have that than london slide into constantly replaying the past thru it's dominant music and culture. timeblind is kinda from that background you're right but i think his tracks are pretty good and deep in that kinda basic channel inspired way and thats ok with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.