Great 2 Step?

mms

sometimes
interestingly i remember him talking passionately, and with concern, about how dubstep desperately needed its sense of swing back in like... early 2006, tbh. back at the redstar sessions in camberwell... whistla *knows*. he also runs sub fm if anyone didn't know :cool:

he's done some shocking music though, lets be fair.

zhao

there are no accidents
i've just uploaded 1.6 Gigs of the cream of my UKG/2step collection - which i've accumulated from various sources. what i did i went through and deleted the low bit-rate files and the too cheesy bubble-gum tunes and the weak ones. what remains is the cream: sick bass work-outs, dark anthems, tricky little ill jams and poppy vocal tunes with the fidgety funk.

UKG01.png

UKG02.png

UKG03.png

UKG04.png

UKG05.png

and the following new stuff has not yet been uploaded, but can be in a jiffy:

Picture1.png

Picture2.png

links are fresh and ready to go. if anyone has nice collections and wants to trade PM me. (if you don't have UKG/2-step maybe old skool Grime from around 2003? or Funky? (or even unrelated like Kwaito or Carioca or Rai) hit me up.

serious enquiries only. offer available for a limited time. Objects in Mirror may be more delicious than they appear.

Last edited:

Badga Tek

Flushing MCs down the loo
links are fresh and ready to go. if anyone has nice collections and wants to trade PM me. serious enquiries only. offer available for a limited time. Objects in Mirror may be more delicious than they appear.

:eek: What a tease. If only I had anything worth trading...

Shonx

Shallow House
interestingly i remember him talking passionately, and with concern, about how dubstep desperately needed its sense of swing back in like... early 2006, tbh. back at the redstar sessions in camberwell... whistla *knows*. he also runs sub fm if anyone didn't know :cool:

Yeah, met Whistla on numerous occassions, he went to school with loads of the 92 rave crew - Top of the Pops, rave, back to school Monday - good one for the cv. ;)

I think what a lot of 2 step revivalists miss is that a certain rawness, love of hooks and of course bassline rudeness were more important qualities than tastefulness or sophistication, something that Whistla is fully aware of.

Locked On Vol 2: RIP productions

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4wm0wq

This one is the black sheep of the series. Everything is played at it's original speed or pitched down making the tunes a bit underwhelming, certainly goes against garage sensibilities. It could be that they were trying to appeal to the mainstream house crowd with this volume.

Come to think of it these CD's are overwhelmingly 4 to the floor so dont really belong in this thread.

craner

Beast of Burden
I've had Vol 2 and 3 for years but I really wanted to track down Vol 1 so thank you for posting it. I like Vol 2 a lot - it has a very evocative sleeve, considering where the music and scene ended up going.

It's a strange sleeve in that it doesnt mention that RIP are the ones that mix it. The photos are interesting though. For those who havent seen it, it's the duo doing a pirate show, in what appears to be a tall house rather than a tower block. Being black, Omar is consigned to toasting duties, reading texts off a mobile.

Im pretty sure Tim Deluxe was originally from Northern Ireland, though as he was DJing Garage since his teenage years I would assume he moved to London when he was really young

Ach!

Turd on the Run
It looks more like one of those 3 to 4 storey housing estates than a tall house. The tracklisting seems pretty indicative of what was being played on pirates around the summer in 97, doesn't seem to me to be appeasing the house crowd too much. I think they're just staying away from the speed garage bassline a little (even though these guys invented it), and I remember that sound was generally thought of as old hat very very quickly.

re: tim deluxe...
This tune of his was a real clubbing favourite of mine a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
I prefer volume 3, I think that shows how exciting 4 to the floor garage is, one of the best genres ever. Volume 1 does the same, albeit showing how great certain kinds of American tunes that were picked up by London DJ's were. The RIP doesnt work as well as the others. It seems to be too sanitised and Mixmag to me. Certainly the slow pitch do it no favours, Soundbwoy burial being particularly ridiculous in this incarnation, and some of the other tunes are classics but pitched down they lose their appeal for me.

I just reckon Volume 1 & 3 are exotic in a way, but 2 is not (even though it may have been representative of its time). I'm not a massive fan of the Serious danger Speed Garage side of things, but at least if the CD had more of those type of tracks it would have felt more like raw London sounds.

Incidentally, how on earth did Todd manage to produce such a great mix. After all, he probably wasnt as big a name then as he was a year or two later, and I've never got the impression he's clued up about the scene. Then factor in that he's from the US, how the fuck did he choose so many London classics. Perhaps the record label told him to include certain tunes (some of which would later be released on Locked On).

Ach!

Turd on the Run
The 101.8 on the cover might be a clue...

Freak FM and EZ perhaps.

As you said they are mainly US tunes, so I suppose it's not that much of a stretch.

craner

Beast of Burden
Yeah, Vol 3 is easily the best musically, Vol 2 has the best cover, and Todd Edwards...well, Todd was simply brilliant throughout the 90s. The Prima Edizione compilation (on vinyl!) is one of my most treasured possessions. Those old(ish) tracks are a lot better than his recent stiff, brisk, nutrasweet stuff.

"Certainly the slow pitch do it no favours, Soundbwoy burial being particularly ridiculous in this incarnation, and some of the other tunes are classics but pitched down they lose their appeal for me."

I'm no expert; I mean, it sounds alright to me. Also, I hate it when DJs pitch tracks up too much. I love that Bette Midler remix. I love the fact that Better Midler is even there.

What other 96-98 era compilations are worth a punt then? I always assumed Locked On was the definitive series...

When was that lovely remix of Shola Ama's 'Taboo'? That was probably 1999, wasn't it?

Ach!

Turd on the Run
I loved that Bette Midler tune too.

Yeah, I think 'Sweetest Taboo' was 99, remix was by MJ Cole I think. One my favourites because it also fetaured Glamma Kid.