Great 2 Step?

Tim F

Heaps of amazing 2-step comps. Even ignoring the early ones that mixed it in with 4/4 I think the following are pretty essential:

V/A: Timmi Magic - Pure Silk: The Third Dimension
V/A: Shanks & Bigfoot - Ayia Napa 2000 (srsly!)
V/A: Mikee B - Pure Silk In Ayia Napa
V/A: DJ EZ - UK Garage Flava
V/A: DJ EZ - Pure Garage III
V/A: Jason Kaye - Garage Nation
V/A: Zed Bias - The Sound of the Pirates
V/A: Masterstepz - Ayia Napa 2001
V/A: Ed Case - The Sound of the Pirates II

i have many more that are great but I haven't listened to quite as much because they overlap a lot with stuff on the above.

craner

Beast of Burden

Yikes, I hated that!

But I played Vol 1 to death on my postal round in the summer of 2000. Had the Large Joints remix of 'Gabriel' on it, very moving etc.

benjybars

village elder.
Heaps of amazing 2-step comps. Even ignoring the early ones that mixed it in with 4/4 I think the following are pretty essential:

V/A: Timmi Magic - Pure Silk: The Third Dimension
V/A: Shanks & Bigfoot - Ayia Napa 2000 (srsly!)
V/A: Mikee B - Pure Silk In Ayia Napa
V/A: DJ EZ - UK Garage Flava
V/A: DJ EZ - Pure Garage III
V/A: Jason Kaye - Garage Nation
V/A: Zed Bias - The Sound of the Pirates
V/A: Masterstepz - Ayia Napa 2001

i have many more that are great but I haven't listened to quite as much because they overlap a lot with stuff on the above.

yeah good list

Sound of the Pirates 1 is tooooooo sick!

Sound Of the Pirates Volume 1

http://www.sendspace.com/file/erj8p3

It's a good mix, much better than Zed Bias's Bingo Beats 2. At the time I really liked the DJ Zinc stuff, but nowadays I find most of it very samey. He really churned them out as well, must have made himself a decent bit of money them years. On the topic of albums the Maddslinky CD (another Zed moniker) wasnt all that great, incredibly dull in parts. Wookie's would have been better if it swapped 2 of the more sacharine tracks for 'Little Man'. MJ coles was too long. Todd Edwards' Prima Edizione and Nervous Tracks worked considerably well despite the fact that they are collections of singles.

I never got round to getting Sound of the Pirates 2. On paper the addition of MC's sounds brilliant but did it work in practice

MrFence

Oh the humanity.
Scientists say that if this tune doesn't put a stupid grin on your chops then you officially have no soul or ears.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

craner

Beast of Burden
Todd Edwards' Prima Edizione

This is a stunning collection. I have the vinyl - a truly treasured possession! And the Nervous tracks is almost as gorgeous. All 1990s Todd, which are the best bits.

Zed Bias's Bingo Beats 2. At the time I really liked the DJ Zinc stuff

I loathed all of this stuff. Even more then than now. '138 Trek' - what a fucking disaster that was! Azzido da Bass, 'Neighbourhood', all that rubbish, hated it. It was as bad as Fatboy Slim or the Chemical Brothers.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
'Neighbourhood', all that rubbish, hated it. It was as bad as Fatboy Slim or the Chemical Brothers.

Do not mention Neighbourhood in the same sentence as the CHemical Brothers!! Never realised there was this much hate for that tune. I can't see how it would be possible to hate it - beat's great, even if the MC-ing isn't.

Tho I am glad someone's going on record to say that they* are shit. One of the most middlebrow bands ever? I like Norman Cook though - his obvious genuine sense of fun means he evades middlebrow status. And Beats International were great.

*The Chemical Bros

Last edited:

Tim F

I thought Sound of the Pirates II was a comedown from the first one at the time, but I've totally reassessed in the past year, it's smashing. The only tracks I don't flat out adore are "Kinda Funky" and "Nike Boing" (i.e. the breakbeat garage tracks, go figure).

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
For some reason I listened over and over to the first 15 mins of SOTP II. Thought it started with a few killer songs - one with Romeo if I remember?

MrFence

Oh the humanity.
It's weird to pick Neighbourhood up on the MCing, it's really not that bad! Two years after Neighbourhood came out 2 step was virtually dead due to the fucking diabolical MCing over every tune being released and set played in the club. Garage crews... tsk tsk.

MrFence

Oh the humanity.
This one breaks the NO MJ COLE rule, but it's relatively obscure as it was only released (as far as I know) on the first Verve Remixed comp.

It's a remix of Carmen Mcrae - How Long Has This Been Going On, and along with Sincere it's probably my favourite MJ Cole tune. If you're not tapping your feet along to this then I can only assume they were amputated in an horrific shaving accident.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It's been chopped short to fit with a film, but I'm sure you get the idea.