OK time to fess up

MankyFiver

cha cha slide- dj caspar
dragostea din tei - o zone
sandstorm - darude
move closer - phyllis nelson
some deacon blue
radio africa - latin quarter

kinda like all those really silly catchy dance/pop songs especially if they have dance moves in them, indie rock i hardly ever hear so dont know but i loved times like these - foo fighters

not embarrassed by them much so i spose not really guilty

oh and prince is never a guilty pleasure

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
Pet Shop Boys are awesome and no one should apologizing for being a closet Pethead. BTW, the new CD is excellent, go buy it. Go now. We'll wait.

I don't know about guilty pleasures, but I don't admit the following favs to very many people:

Ben Folds Five
Sting - Ten Summoners Tales
All Saints
Nine Inch Nails
The Crystal Method
Cathy Dennis
Digital underground - Sex Packets
Enigma

That should get you started, anyway.

borderpolice

Chef Napalm said:
All Saints
Cathy Dennis
Digital underground - Sex Packets

all saints are great, DU was an influential hip hop record. one of the first (the first?) to do the west-coast G-Funk thing. plus: 2pac first successful outfit.

it is not as well-know as it maybe should that cathy dennis have written some of the best and most successful pop tunes of thelast decade, britney's "toxic" and kyle's "Cant get you out of my mind" . genius!

mms

sometimes
borderpolice said:
all saints are great, DU was an influential hip hop record. one of the first (the first?) to do the west-coast G-Funk thing. plus: 2pac first successful outfit.

sex packets is a classic, not sure if 2-pac was in them then though, he was a dancer for them then i think he didn't appear vocally until the second of third record.
Shock-g's last record was excellent too - fear of a mixed planet, rubbish name but good record.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
Poisonous Dart said:
Anything relating to Prince

oh dear lord in heaven how i love Around The World in a Day. Conditions of the Heart... Paiseley Park... Raspberry Beret... listening to it for the first time since 1989 yesterday brought me to near ecstasy/tears.

zhao

there are no accidents
Chef Napalm said:
I don't admit the following favs to very many people:

Ben Folds Five
Sting - Ten Summoners Tales
The Crystal Method
Cathy Dennis
Enigma

know that anything you say from this point on will likely be taken aproximately 15% to 25% less seriously.

It blows me away the things some people think they should be ashamed of... I don't even understand the comment that "There's been a pretty big critical reappraisal of Prince in the last few years." - surely everyone always knew he was amazing? At least from the first album up to 1987 or so.
Digital Underground - the greatest west coast rap act IMO.

Someone said Bangface bollox, not as good as old school rave - have you been to it? They play loads and loads of old school records. I don't get it.

hmmm
oh well I went and bought the first 4 level 42 CDs the other day. I bet nobody can out-do that for unhip.

zhao

there are no accidents
no I don't think there is any reason for anyone to be ashamed of listening to Prince.

I think I mentioned these before but George Michael I like and sometimes ashamed for it.

this is not "guilty" at all but I've really grown fond of Goldfrapp. her voice is atleast a few cuts above all the countless breathy female vocalists out there. classic. almost like this generation's answer to Marlene or Edith.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Huh?

So a guilty pleasure can only be catagorized as something that MOST people think sucks or will make fun of you for liking but you like it anyway? Shit, I'm an underground hip hop head...therefore 75% of my catalogue counts under that stipulation/intrepretation (Company Flow, Cannibal Ox, Non Phixion, Black Market Militia, etc.)...for someone who has an iPod filled with Wu Tang and Mobb Deep Instrumentals, being a big fan of a guy that used to dance on stage in high hells and makeup a trenchcoat and black underwear WOULD raise eyebrows amongst most close minded, tunnel view rap fans. I could've said the Police box set "Message In A Box" but most posters here don't know my back story and would've been like "The Police are great, how are they a guilty pleasure?" To hardcore rap fans ANYTHING other than R & B kind of qualifies as a "guilty pleasure". One.

swears

preppy-kei
Chef Napalm said:
Ben Folds Five

That should get you started, anyway.

Nah, Ben Folds Five were great!

"This should cheer you up for sure/
I've got your old I.D. /
and you're all dressed up like The Cure"
:D

gek-opel

entered apprentice
On the topic of Kenny G- I once met the A&R man who signed him (oh how he boasted of that fact)- and surprise surprise, he was an utter loathsome, greaseball cunt of a man!

soundslike1981

I don't think there's any music I enjoy of which I'm embarrassed. Which means either I have too much "taste" for my own good, or too little and I don't care.

Probably the stupidest music I like is some really not that good 90s indie-pop, ie something like Beulah, the Minders, maybe the first Of Montreal record. I very, very rarely listen to that sort of thing, but every once in a blue moon I get in that mood. Neo-psych-twee-pop was my last hurrah with indie/rock, relatively harmless stuff, IMO.

soundslike1981

I probably don't avoid stuff with guitars as much as most people at Dissensus, having been a bit too young to have been into the late 80s/early 90s dance/rave continuum (I'm currently 26).

Most "embarrassing" period of intensely liking something, in retrospect, was my flirtation with the band Ida, who've become incredibly MOR adult-alterna-lite soporific mush. But I caught them at this incredibly earnest period in my life, age 18, deeply in love, yada yada, and they had a brief period where they really captured the not-banal singer/songwriter quality of the best of something like John Prine or Joni Mitchell or the Carter Family (all of whom I still love and always will). Plus they got a musician named Karla Schickele who really does have talent, and is a genuinely unique voice in "adult," "safe" pop--a nice backwards rhythmic quality to her piano work. Anyway, they're pretty awful now and I haven't wanted to listen to them in ages. I associated them with Low back then, but it's amazing how divergent the paths of the two have been.

>>To hardcore rap fans ANYTHING other than R & B kind of qualifies as a "guilty pleasure".

What a sad life that must be! Imagine closing yourself off to everything except one kind of music. Do you think anyone really does this?

I mean you obviously don't because you like the Police & Prince but do you really think all your hip hop friends don't listen to anything else?

it sounds miserable :eek:(

I'd like to listen to your ipod full of hip hop instrumentals. It's the rappers that put me off newer hip hop..... but that's another thread (I think we had it already)

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I don't generally like to admit that I'm quite a fan of Radiohead, particularly that I relate to Thom Yorke as a lyricist and think he's pretty awesome!

I'm still a bit of a fan of George Michael's music too. One of my English teachers at school let me and some friends do a poetry assignment about the lyrics to one of the songs off 'Listen Without Prejudice'. Hmm. I like to listen to 'Father Figure' and 'Waiting for that Day' and I even like 'Fastlove, with its lifted 'Forget Me Nots' vamp and stuff... Not such a fan of the 'Jesus as a Child' type slow ones.

Last edited:

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
michael said:
I don't generally like to admit that I'm quite a fan of Radiohead, particularly that I relate to Thom Yorke as a lyricist and think he's pretty awesome!

I'm still a bit of a fan of George Michael's music too. One of my English teachers at school let me and some friends do a poetry assignment about the lyrics to one of the songs off 'Listen Without Prejudice'. Hmm. I like to listen to 'Father Figure' and 'Waiting for that Day' and I even like 'Fastlove, with its lifted 'Forget Me Nots' vamp and stuff... Not such a fan of the 'Jesus as a Child' type slow ones.

I'm sure I've seen you listening to much worse music than that.

I'm more or less over being embarased about any type of music i like. I'm 30 now and my taste is no ones but my own. But it was hard being super into a particular kind of music really heavily (US hardcore.straight edge stuff) and wanting to break out groove is in the heart or something...

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
swears said:
Nah, Ben Folds Five were great!

"This should cheer you up for sure/
I've got your old I.D. /
and you're all dressed up like The Cure"
:D
"Well I thought about the army/
Dad said, son youre fucking high/
And I thought, yeah theres a first for everything/
So I took my old mans advice"