Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Also that he says "InfoWars dot com" at the end of every other sentence.

Whatever you think of guys like this - to the extent that Jones even has any real peers in this realm - their knack for self-promotion is phenomenal.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Mates with Jon Ronson

They worked together on infiltrating Bohemian Grove and filmed it. It's probably on YouTube. Totally inconclusive and a waste of time, but an entertaining watch. Ronson did an interview on the wtf podcast when he was promoting his So You've Been Publicly Shamed book and he brought it up. After listening to that it would be pretty hard to assume they're friends. I don't think he disliked him, just thought he was a buffoon. Also mentioned that Jones had fessed up to heavily playing up his character.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I like it when it does happen with fiction. The way Slender Man was created, Lovecraft, Iain Sinclair's thing...

Lovecraft was all over the idea of blending fiction and reality into a seamless, organic whole - hence he'll mention Abdul Alhazred and John Dee in the same sentence, and if you didn't know any better you might think they were both real (or perhaps both fictional). I think some people even believed the Necronomicon was a real book within Lovecraft's own lifetime, which would have tickled him pink, and some think he was some kind of masterful esoteric initiate who hid behind this mask of a rational atheist (I think znore - Mr Grapejuice - has thoughts in this direction). If you know anything about Lovecraft's actual life, the company he kept, his private correspondence and so on, you'll know this isn't true, but it's still intriguing.

In particular, the idea that "the gods" of the most primal belief systems were half-remembered echos of powerful extraterrestrials that visited and perhaps settled the ancient Earth, from stories such as 'The Shadow out of Time' and 'At The Mountains of Madness', were a huge influence on Louis Pauwels and Jacques Bergier, who'd edited a 1960s sci-fi/weird fiction magazine that published a lot of HPL's stories in French, and who later collaborated on a book called Le Matin des Magiciens. This in turn was a massive influence on Erich von Daeniken, Zecharia Hitchin and L. Ron Hubbard. So in some weird, postmodern sort of way, the nefarious Cthulhu cult became real and lives on to this day as the Church of Scientology.

Lastly, I'm sure I read something in the Nick Land thread about Land's belief that capitalism and the internet are somehow *creating* the Great Old Ones, thus making HPL's fiction into an eventual future reality? Reminds me of the way the secret clique of encyclopaedists in 'Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius' by Borges create a fictional world that somehow becomes real and eventually subsumes the real world.

I guess stuff like this might make sense to someone who considers amphetamine sulphate a food group...

Last edited:

version

Lovecraft was all over the idea of blending fiction and reality into a seamless, organic whole - hence he'll mention Abdul Alhazred and John Dee in the same sentence, and if you didn't know any better you might think they were both real (or perhaps both fictional).

Reminds me of Burroughs and Hassan-i Sabbah.

luka

". I think some people even believed the Necronomicon was a real book within Lovecraft's own lifetime, which would have tickled him pink, and some think he was some kind of masterful esoteric initiate who hid behind this mask of a rational atheist (I think znore - Mr Grapejuice - has thoughts in this direction). If you know anything about Lovecraft's actual life, the company he kept, his private correspondence and so on, you'll know this isn't true, but it's still intriguing."

I can't remember if znore believes this. It wouldn't surprise me in the least but he also would, I think, go along with the kind of thing we were presenting in the harlequin thread in which other entities express themselves through humans without being identical with them. A kind of intersection of identity.