Burial interview @ Blackdown/Burial album

bruno

est malade
i'd wait for it to show up on forcedexposure because of the exchange rate but i think i want this now. so it'll have to be in £££.

shudder

yeah, I just ordered from boomkat, and I'm going to wait it out... unfortunately, I'm graduating from school (in providence RI), and I'm going to be leaving my current apartment soon, so I'll probably have to send it over to my parents' place (in toronto), which means I'll have to wait longer!

mms said:
that just pretend to be the sensibility they think they are easily faking.

exactly !!! easy enough to fake, hard to be being convincing...

...sorry but from what I've heard he hasn't done anything new, just reinterpreted it. Can't say there is anything extraordinary about it cos when it comes right down to the nitty gritty, we're all pretty ordinary

except for maybe Tipper who I think is an alien...

...time will be the measure of this album. I've heard heaps of stuff going way back that immediately grabbed me but after a few listens, a bit of deconstruction and reverse engineering it doesn't stand up too well, and then I've heard stuff, dismissed it totally but kept listening to the point where it grows on you and each listen brings something new to the fore

I do hope this album is in the former category...

all this specualtion on identity is just a fun way to pass the time but if it turns out (s)he is a well known alias, won't you all be disappoitned ???

It's like many of you want this person to be anonymous and reticent so it colours your perception of the music. Me I just take it at face value...

...looking forward to comparisons to boxcutters album, D1's forthcoming on Mu and toasty if and when he gets his label and album sorted

:eek: my bad, meant not in the former or in the latter...

...or maybe it was a freudian slip and I do want to be disappointed just to have something I can bitch about later

hmmmm... :confused:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
gek-opel said:
Re: upthread--- why do people feel the need to compare every electronica artist to AFX? Is it just that to many people he is the only they've ever heard of? I even heard somewhere people comparing Skream to AFX, which is completely wrong.

is this a quote from me? ;) the AFX comparison is sooooo lazy.

HMGovt said:
I'm making a very specific comparison, FSOL's essential mix from about 12 years ago -- raked by noise, non-sequitur samples of enraged tigers, sobbing mothers, sea cavern sonar pings. It was, I think, one of the first online simulcasts, and featured what could be the first broadcast instance of the phrase 'WWW DOT'. Mind you, it was a long time ago, maybe it's my recollection that shot through with all this, not the source.

Ah, here it is ftp://fsol.disenchanted.com/pub/1993_Essential_Mix/1_Part_HiQ/

shot bro...

...that is some truly inspirational stuff. Woulda settled for a 128 bit mix even ;)

and yes comparisons to Burial are quite valid in this context...

tryptych

waiting for a time
Do we really need another burial thread? Can't any further discussion go in the one there is already, to keep it all together? Mods?

And the album is great.

bruno

est malade
i thought it was pertinent to discuss the album on a separate thread. the other thread deals with the interview, software and a billion other things and it is too long already. but if you want it merged..

greeneyes

Bit Mangler
ambientstep.

Seriously though, the breezeblock burial mix is one of the most exciting things I've heard in the last couple of years. So Hypnotic. That last tracks is extremely large.

My copy was dispatched down to oz today. I'm waiting...

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
gek-opel said:
Re: upthread--- why do people feel the need to compare every electronica artist to AFX? Is it just that to many people he is the only they've ever heard of? I even heard somewhere people comparing Skream to AFX, which is completely wrong.
Yeah, it is kind of weird, not to mention entirely unhelpful.

As regards Burial, the most obvious parallels for me are probably Luomo, Lusine and (particularly) Rhythm and Sound, although the music feels too geographically rooted to be really similar to any of them. Arguing about who he (do we even know it's a 'he', come to think of it) 'really is' is mostly fun because it's so pointless - I'm quite happy to believe that he is a complete newcomer, but if he is then he's got a seriously interesting creative mind - being simultaneously so close to and so distant from the music that he's inspired by is astounding.

borderpolice

Slothrop said:
Yeah, it is kind of weird, not to mention entirely unhelpful.

As regards Burial, the most obvious parallels for me are probably Luomo, Lusine and (particularly) Rhythm and Sound.

Not quite seeing R&S, but luomo/delay is definitly very similar in production technique at times. Delay has also been producing 2 step garage, though how much of this has been released i don't know. last time i heard him DJ, he dropped some of his own garage tunes. great stuff.

bassnation

the abyss
HELL_SD said:
shot bro...

...that is some truly inspirational stuff. Woulda settled for a 128 bit mix even ;)

and yes comparisons to Burial are quite valid in this context...

of course they are - that scratchy ghostlike sound is a staple of nineties dance music - no matter how much people would have you believe that dubstep is a year zero which renders everything that came before redundant. alongside the fsol stuff i could pull out 20 records off the top of my head using this production technique. the only way it would sound completely new is if you'd spent the entire last decade holed up listening to the cure instead of raving it up everywhere.

thats not to say burial isn't a fantastic album cos it is, contender for lp of the year i reckon - but its a consolidation rather than a revolution, at least in the wider scheme of things and not just the scene.

glacial

This is the most brilliant album I've ever heard. Ordered it from Boomkat as well. Album is definitely worth buying.

By the way I am new to this forum, so big up everyone From Ukraine, Kiev. ;)

Max.