Burial interview @ Blackdown/Burial album

according to mate's round at my place this evening: burial = Aphex Twin.

The drums, the samples, the bass.

Reminds me more of FSOL c. 1994. But I haven't heard the whole CD yet. Shame it's being held up.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
afx and burial both use melodies - surely that's where the similarities end? to me burial's so outer, all dark south london streets, pirate radio crackle and urban 2step swing. i hear none of these qualities in afx productions...

shudder

i've no doubt that aphex could technically reproduce these tunes, but the sensibility seems so different from all of his. (as blackdown said)

sensibility is easy enough to fake...

...I'm still picking big name producer under a pseudonym and it wouldn't be the first time either

artwork has been known to have a few aliases, or maybe, el-b = ghost =burial namechecking himself, still thinking benny ill or horsepower though...

...all good fun ;).

shudder

again, I think that richard d james coulda make the tracks if he wanted to. My point is more that someone who made music which had the sensibility of aphex's earlier music would probably not be likely to (want to) make music that sounds like burial.

el-b is obvs a little more likely, but who really cares?? it's great! (altho i'm pissed about the delay)

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
Blackdown said:
afx and burial both use melodies - surely that's where the similarities end? to me burial's so outer, all dark south london streets, pirate radio crackle and urban 2step swing. i hear none of these qualities in afx productions...

Totally. The comparison is near baseless. The Beatles use melodies too... AFX hasn't done anything remotely as consistent as the Burial album, for a start. He's too much of a dilletante to stay focused on a vision for that length of time.

And the LP sounds NOTHING like FSOL... FSOL were all about audio-hygiene, the sonic equivalent of CGI... Burial is about mess, surface noise, stray signal

The only interesting thing about these silly speculations is the testament they are to the brilliance of the record. What people are effectively saying is that 'this can't have been done by a quote ordinary person unquote'.... It hasn't been made by an 'ordinary' person, it has been made by an extraordinary producer... accept it...

k-punk said:
And the LP sounds NOTHING like FSOL... FSOL were all about audio-hygiene, the sonic equivalent of CGI... Burial is about mess, surface noise, stray signal

I'm making a very specific comparison, FSOL's essential mix from about 12 years ago -- raked by noise, non-sequitur samples of enraged tigers, sobbing mothers, sea cavern sonar pings. It was, I think, one of the first online simulcasts, and featured what could be the first broadcast instance of the phrase 'WWW DOT'. Mind you, it was a long time ago, maybe it's my recollection that shot through with all this, not the source.

Ah, here it is ftp://fsol.disenchanted.com/pub/1993_Essential_Mix/1_Part_HiQ/

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
k-punk said:
Totally. The comparison is near baseless. The Beatles use melodies too... AFX hasn't done anything remotely as consistent as the Burial album, for a start. He's too much of a dilletante to stay focused on a vision for that length of time.

firsts 3 lps by him , ambient worlks one and two and polygon window richard d james album and analord chosen lords albun are as consistent as this album easily i think.

the actual comparison with afx is not that they both do melodies but that they both have idiosyncratic takes on music by default, they can't help but do their own take or feel in reflection of the music they love and make it their own completley.

However its ridiculous people trying to make out it's anyone who has been around before, why should it be, previously people who've been incredible idiosyncratic music producers haven't had to come up against this disbelief, so why on earth should it happen cos he doesn't want to be a star, anyway he was at dmz last saturday so bleh.

But it's funny that people aren't willing to take a leap of faith with this guy just because he doesn't want his family name in lights, why is that, is it because people find it hard to believe anything new or anyone creating anything new exists, surely this highlights a HUGE problem with expectations, the visibility of actual creativeness in music and the investment of faith and energy.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
HELL_SD said:
sensibility is easy enough to fake...

actually many people believe this is true and it really isn't, this idea is an infectionof that passes through genres and scenes very often, and clogs it up with zombie music, reanimated musical corpses, that just pretend to be the sensibility they think they are easily faking.

Last edited:
mms said:
fHowever its ridiculous people trying to make out it's anyone who has been around before.

Nah, it's because some of Burial's stuff sounds like early Aphex and to my ears, a certain FSOL mix from 13 years ago. End of story, nobody's saying he is either of them.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
The Burial stuff reminds me a quite a bit of the Motorbass 'Pansoul' album. Something about the texture / heavy use of eq and filtering / vinyl crackle / layered samples / oblique but respectful relationship to it's source inspirations / wistful city-nite vibes / similar stuttering gate effect.

Just saying, like.

bruno

est malade
Burial album

i've read the k-punk thing. i'm about to order this, i swear.

to all those that have heard the album (through leaks, promos), for those of us who haven't, what is your verdict? did it live up to expectations? is it the new unknown pleasures? answers, please..

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I've ordered mine from Boomkat, but they seem to be having supply problems as its sposed to be out tomorrow, but they're not shipping it till Thursday or something...

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Re: upthread--- why do people feel the need to compare every electronica artist to AFX? Is it just that to many people he is the only they've ever heard of? I even heard somewhere people comparing Skream to AFX, which is completely wrong.

Last edited: