Burial interview @ Blackdown/Burial album

bassnation

the abyss
hint said:
Not so mind-boggling if you approach it in hardware terms, with the computer just acting as a fancy multitrack recorder.

With an MPC, for example, you could get 16 bars of drums built up, record them in... Same with keyboard lines etc. It's a good and quick way to work - essentially making cut and paste music, but you provide the source material too.

Doesn't really matter though ;)

your otm - i think at the end of the day it comes down to what you feel comfortable working with - and its probably only of interest to studio geeks, i'm sure most people won't even think twice about that aspect. but i always find it interesting to hear about how other people work. especially when people don't have huge expensive studios. the fact that people create these amazing works of art with lo fi kit, makes you wonder why anyone would bother to spend loads of money on kit.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
It does matter tho. I mean not in the sense that its necessarily better or worse to use a particular set up, but most musicians with a distinctive sound get it thru a combination of specific technique and a personalised set of tools. The sonic differences between say Skream and Burial are vast. Altho that's obviously mainly down to one using a soft-studio approach and the other a sample-based approach. The latter will inevitably lead to a more grainy, textured result, but that happens whatever-whether you use an MPC, or Soundforge, or a Sequencer as a hard-disk recorder.

Last edited:

bassnation

the abyss
gek-opel said:
It does matter tho. I mean not in the sense that its necessarily better or worse to use a particular set up, but most musicians with a distinctive sound get it thru a combination of specific technique and a personalised set of tools. The sonic differences between say Skream and Burial are vast. Altho that's obviously mainly down to one using a soft-studio approach and the other a sample-based approach. The latter will inevitably lead to a more grainy, textured result, but that happens whatever-whether you use an MPC, or Soundforge, or a Sequencer as a hard-disk recorder.

you can get a grainy sound from synths if you process them right - look at rhythm and sound or basic channel - thats not sample based and its easily as grainy as burial, if not more. its less about what you use and more about how you use it.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
k-punk said:
OK, I guess my problem here is twofold.

1. In much of the dubstep I've heard, there seems to be too much 'dub' and not enough 'step' ...

2. That rendition of dub ('massive crushing basslines, delay and reverbed caverns of sound') precisely surrenders it to the punitive/ reductive definition I referred to above. It implies that dub is a set of positive properties rather than a subtractive operation.

I feel the step is ripe for a return. But as for your second point, in pratical terms it presents 2006 dubsteppers with problems. if you're not lee perry re-working a full band in the studio for the 'dub' b-side of the 7", what do you use as the basic starting point for your subtractive operation? (occasionally you can obtain the odd r&b accapella, but it's unsustainable and also risky copyright-wise).

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Well most Dubstep productions at present appear to be treating dub very definitely as a set of positive properties, from what I can tell, they're not approaching it from the point of view of it as a "dub-music" of subtraction and erasure. But to posit that as an alternative methodology of production (taking the genre name at face value which seemingly few do beyond some plastic rasta-elements or delay based plug-ins), then literally speaking "dubstep" would be 2step remixes.. but thinking in terms of dubstep the genre, what one could do is to treat dubstep itself as the starting point, not the end point, and subtract from that, a ghost of dubstep itself perhaps... which perversely pushes it ever further from "the song" (the recapturing of which I guess is K-punk's wish, based on his arguments up-thread). Pinch seems to come closest to this at present, but you could push further into sensual ghost-step/sub-gaze minimalism (which would also return to more alien-feminine properties, but instead of emphasising graceful movement- as in 2step UK Garage- it would rather emphasise the carnal properties of delicious undulating sound, with all the bass pressure of modern day dubstep but with the masculine jackboot aggression removed)

More prosaically you would need a modern day analogue to reggae songs for dub. Dancehall or Grime perhaps?

tryptych

waiting for a time
gek-opel said:
Well most Dubstep productions at present appear to be treating dub very definitely as a set of positive properties, from what I can tell, they're not approaching it from the point of view of it as a "dub-music" of subtraction and erasure. But to posit that as an alternative methodology of production (taking the genre name at face value which seemingly few do beyond some plastic rasta-elements or delay based plug-ins), then literally speaking "dubstep" would be 2step remixes.. but thinking in terms of dubstep the genre, what one could do is to treat dubstep itself as the starting point, not the end point, and subtract from that, a ghost of dubstep itself perhaps... which perversely pushes it ever further from "the song" (the recapturing of which I guess is K-punk's wish, based on his arguments up-thread). Pinch seems to come closest to this at present, but you could push further into sensual ghost-step/sub-gaze minimalism (which would also return to more alien-feminine properties, but instead of emphasising graceful movement- as in 2step UK Garage- it would rather emphasise the carnal properties of delicious undulating sound, with all the bass pressure of modern day dubstep but with the masculine jackboot aggression removed)

More prosaically you would need a modern day analogue to reggae songs for dub. Dancehall or Grime perhaps?

I like the sound of all of this... ghost-step and sub-gaze indeed!

I've often wondered why there arn't more dubs of grime tracks (as in the sense of dubstep producers remixing and subtracting).

Blackdown

nexKeysound
spackb0y said:
I've often wondered why there arn't more dubs of grime tracks (as in the sense of dubstep producers remixing and subtracting).

i mentioned i'd like to do this, to Dizzee's manager. he said most MCs would want to shoot me. does that answer your question? ;)

1. In much of the dubstep I've heard, there seems to be too much 'dub' and not enough 'step' ...

werd !!!

I've long been saying that without a background in garage you won't get many producers coming through who do know how to create a "step" in their beats. The fanbase for dubstep seems to be coming from dnb and they don't like step, they like rolling backbeats, so pitch it down halve it and you get the clownsteppas becoming dubstep wobbleclones...

on a sidenote...

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=74120064

...sinodub possibly ???

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
OK

Well I've listened really carefully to what folk have said on this thread; got hold of some of the tunes people were recommending and I went to DMZ last night.

The first thing to say is that, yes, as everyone has argued, dubstep is transformed when played on a massive sound system. The effect is more oceanic, enveloping and seductive than punitive. But probably even more important than the sub-bass materialism was the role of the crowd as an intensifier. The vibe was incredibly positive; in fact, I don't think I've been in a club where the atmosphere was so friendly, where the crowd was so mixed (in terms of race, gender, class, nationality) since the heady daze of rave. You're left thinking, 'what is it in a sound that is, on the face of it, so unremitting, so forbidding and austere, that produces such positive affect?' Partly it's bass addiction, as the DMZ mc kept saying - shout to all the bass zombies out there. (The only problem was that it was so crowded, so it was difficult to find a space to dance --- even then though, people were incredibly polite and didn't just push on through as is normal in most London spaces.)

It's clear, as ppl were saying upthread, that Loefah, Kode 9, Digital Mystikz are a world away from the flat and one-dimensional sound I was trashing. (Kode's spaghetti dubstep sound is particularly catchy: I've had Kingstown and Nine Samurai in my head all day....)

All that said, I don't think what I was saying before (viz. about vocals) is invalid. It fact, hearing that massive bass sound only made me wonder about how much more intense things would get if there were some songs and vocals. Imagine that level of bass, with reverbed and panned vocals....

Blackdown, I totally take your point about where producers are to get the vocals from. Burial's solution - and this is to reinforce Marcus' point above that it's not as if Burial is 'really' dub either - seems to be to use vocals to imply a song. Often, it is as if he's dubbed the track....

I think pursuing the grime thing would be a dead end (and not only in the sense that the MCs would shoot you :) ). Seems to me clear that what went wrong with grime was that it was two 'yangs'; ultra-abstract sound plus shouty male aggression. That's why, even though, on the face of it, the DMZ sound ought to be very male, it's actually feminized by comparison with what it came from - simply because one of the yang elements has been removed. But that's created a space for a new feminine 'yin' element - it would be amazing if there was the equivalent of Roisin Murphy on the dubstep scene... Or perhaps what the scene is waiting for is its version of Adamski/Seal...

It's obvious from the vibe last night though that if the future is incubating anywhere atm, it's in dubstep. But the scene shouldn't be frightened of succeeding.... There's nothing wrong with having some relationship to pop...

Blackdown

nexKeysound
k-punk said:
Well I've listened really carefully to what folk have said on this thread; got hold of some of the tunes people were recommending and I went to DMZ last night.

bigup mark, because there's been a lot of people slate dubstep over the years without direct experience of it. respect.

I had hi hopes on vex'd being the pinup posterboys of dubstep crossing over to mainstream pop...

...then they went all underground again, frightened of success or of losing street cred ???

be well interested to see if burial cracks the mainstream and what then of doing press with a reticent *star*...

...incubation is right, only it's been doing that on line for the last 5 years. Expect big things form the outernationals soon as they stop looking to london as some underground muscial cultural mecca, by giving it power they give it control

I don't feel I need to go to DMZ to meditate on bass weight with a few hundred other punters to appreciate/experience dubstep...

shudder

k-punk said:
But the scene shouldn't be frightened of succeeding.... There's nothing wrong with having some relationship to pop...

that's of course the big question. have you heard any of the various productions stuff?

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Went to DMZ on Saturday too. Really wonderful of course. But, as this is Dissensus, got to say a few things. Definitely had the feeling that N-TYPE, full of energy and top fun as his set was, peaked a little too early. Where's the sense of ritual and build up? It's a classic problem of DJs wanting to play all their big *amazing* tunes whether or not the place is feeling it. The Mystikz thing of dropping down to a little reggae section works well, sweetens things up and builds anticipation. Kode 9's Prince moment was lovely as well. I'm not normally a fan of monoculture club nights, music's so much bigger than that isn't it. When it's this good I guess for now I don't mind, I've just always been disturbed by the heavily partizan thing you get with house, techno, jungle etc. Leads to a lack of discernment and general quasi-religious, zombie fascist behaviour. I don't want this from dubstep - music should set you free. Keep it ultra-balearic. Yeah right - don't go to DMZ if you don't want to hear dubstep all night :)
Distance brought the ROCK at just the right time for me - was flagging slightly and had a strong desire to hear the Ramones for some reason.

Damn, I'm trying to be negative here and it's not working... The beer prices, yes the beer prices were wrong. And too crammed for much of the night. I went on my tod and it was great to meet people there who were all dead sound despite me bending ears about my reservations before I ran off to skank out some more ;) This sort of thing is ruining my alienated creep schtick.

Yeah, and Burial sounds tremendous on a big system, that's a whole different kind of bass s/he's got there.

Tune of the night for me - Left Leg Out. I love the almost motorik on-the-one-ness of this.

Enjoyed DMZ too - dancing next to the speakers and getting that physical rush of air from the bass was probably the best bit, as well as hearing Burial played out loud. Was extremely packed and popular - but the crowd were great, happy, mixed, totally agree with k-p and others about that. And more girls/less pulled-up furry hoodies than the last dupstep thing I went to, so obviously positive in that respect!...interesting that there didn't seem to be a lot of drinking going on, certainly no aggressive monkey idiocy that I saw (apart from by the bouncer, by the sound of it), obv heavy cannabis haze, but even this seemed more eerie and oceanic than anything else.

I guess I have a kind of (basically physical) problem with the excitement build-up thing - i.e. I want the music to stop teasing and go all the way to the end of the speeded-up insanity it sometimes points to...and beyond! The constant growly, low-level tension/release slowness thing is drastically at odds with my general high-octane speed of doing things, so was difficult not to get frustrated (though I'm sure most people would see the plateaus of tension thing as a positive affect, and they'd be right). I kind of thought it would have been louder as well, but the half-deafness thing probably didn't help here.

by the time we left I was way too jittery, which was a bit weird...I've got to calm down!

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
infinite thought said:
...I want the music to stop teasing and go all the way to the end of the speeded-up insanity it sometimes points to...and beyond!

Yeah, I was feeling this too at times, and was probably trying to convey the idea to others, somewhat inappropriately ;) Wanted proper unselfconcsious abandon. But that's maybe almost antithetical to dubstep? Still, people do go pretty spaz to this shit, albeit in a slightly controlled 'urban' way. That's nice, it has dignity I guess. Hmmm...

I suppose a part of it is about finding ecstacy and release within and despite the oppression. Which makes it a fairly accurate metaphor for life. Keeps it real, but jars with my psychedelic utopian leanings.

The vibe at DMZ was good, but you've got to worry when people are even slightly surprised that there is no trouble !?! I've been at much more jouyous dubstep parties elsewhere, not London. Urban 'kids' take themselves and 'their' 'scene' too seriously in the wrong way sometimes I feel.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
I wasn't at DMZ but do agree with the people who want the music to go all out after a few hours of dubstep. I feel the same way and have found that either grime bangers or ragga jungle/raggacore scratches this itch quite nicely. Dubstep is so about tension after a few hours of it it can get a bit much. A nice 45 minute burst of grime or jungle aggression can clear the air before going back underwater. At our new rave that we're putting on here in Berlin we're gonna be playing all of the above, plus dancehall, I think each style has a different role to play at a different time of the night. As much as I love dubstep it's not the only thing I want to hear for 6-8 hours, almost ever and throwing in something else for a bit has a nice way of clearing the palette.

elgato

I just dont know
Noel Emits said:
Wanted proper unselfconcsious abandon. But that's maybe almost antithetical to dubstep? Still, people do go pretty spaz to this shit, albeit in a slightly controlled 'urban' way. That's nice, it has dignity I guess. Hmmm...

This has perhaps seemed to be the case at some london nights ive been to, but on the other hand a forward i went to last summer with dmz was militant, no-one was caring what they looked like (from what i perceived anyway, maybe it was just easier for me to feel that way to allow myself not to care!). But i can say with certainty that many of the nights ive been to in Bristol there has been no such problem, tribal, trance-like brukout. For me this is far from the antithesis of dubstep, i think it is exactly the response that dmz elicit (from me anyway), and it seems fair to say that they are fairly central to the dubstep scene. The point is, i think, that people can do what they like at a night, ive never felt that im being judged at a dubstep night for getting excitable, whether im dancing 'appropriately' or otherwise

on the tension/release thing, i think it very much depends on the individual and the way you experience music...for me, when mud, left leg out, system, da wrath vip (to name but a few) kick, it sets me off as any 160bpm+ / grime can....in a different way, obviously, but definately in a way that releases the pressure in as satisfactory a manner. Different strokes though innit :)