Burial interview @ Blackdown/Burial album

tate

Brown Sugar
shudder said:
someone doesn't know their mid-90s US indie! Lou Barlow was the bassist in Dinosaur Jr. If you don't know them, you defos won't know anything else he's done!
BrokenFist said:
Wasn't he their bassist in the mid-80's?
brokenfist OTM, barlow was out of dinosaur jr by 1989. Knowing this would hardly be a requirement for getting fldsfslmn's joke on pitchfork vis-a-vis Burial: early Sebadoh was lo-fi indie with tape noise and such.

And no, there is nothing booty-shaking worthy (or much else imho) about Sebadoh (maybe the worst live act I've ever seen).

nomos

Administrator
Tate said:
Sebadoh (maybe the worst live act I've ever seen).
I'll see your Sebadoh and raise you one Guided By Voices. I don't like to walk out of a show but...

Last edited:

shudder

HELL_SD said:
someone was too busy listening only to hiphop, house, jungle, d'n'b, breakbeat, r'n'b, garage and rediscovering rare groove in the 90's...

...no offense but fuck US indie, actually fuck indy altogether from anywhere :eek:

just razzin' you... I have no particular love for sebadoh and other barlow stuff...

(and yes, my drunk self definitely got the decade wrong for lou barlow's playing in DJ... in other words I got caught out!)

.. now, back to the much more interesting Burial!

mms

sometimes
elgato said:
Is that 100%? I know kode9 said in the interview on RPM that the 10"s were getting repressed, but he didnt mention the 12"s...

was on the cargo prerelease list .

adruu

This Is It
I dont care who it is....if they can cough up one another album even 80% similar to this one i will be very happy.

so I been caning the breezeblock teaser and it sounds like what happens just before I pass out from too much bass, weed and alcohol on an empty stomach...

...I don't know if thats a good thing

but anyway lets say Burial gets heralded as the saviour of british underground club/music culture by the mainstream press, then what ???

how do you do press releases and interviews with a shy and reluctant artist ???

whoever he/she is knows their history and shit and how to work an FX plugin but I still don't buy that it's all layered up in soundforge...

none

'so I been caning the breezeblock teaser and it sounds like what happens just before I pass out from too much bass, weed and alcohol on an empty stomach...'

well you should release that then.

'whoever he/she is knows their history and shit and how to work an FX plugin but I still don't buy that it's all layered up in soundforge...'

It kind makes me laugh, a lot of people seem to be threatened by the idea that it was done on a cheap setup, even though Burial didn't lie once in his whole interview. Maybe it's cos they waste all their money on gear and then their music is still dry.

bassnation

the abyss
none said:
It kind makes me laugh, a lot of people seem to be threatened by the idea that it was done on a cheap setup, even though Burial didn't lie once in his whole interview. Maybe it's cos they waste all their money on gear and then their music is still dry.

not threatened, just curious. its an accomplishment in a technical sense - lets be honest though, its just a means to an end - above and beyond that, hes obviously got bags of talent so fair enough.

Last edited:
none said:
'so I been caning the breezeblock teaser and it sounds like what happens just before I pass out from too much bass, weed and alcohol on an empty stomach...'

well you should release that then.

actually we're working on something even better

'whoever he/she is knows their history and shit and how to work an FX plugin but I still don't buy that it's all layered up in soundforge...'

Trust, we're not threatened by cheap setups, we use a crap pc, cracked software and a ghettoblaster. If we have any money to waste we usually buy weed.

There's not lying and there's not telling whole truth either
;)

island

RE: The whole Soundforge thing.

I just don't understand why people don't belive he did it in Soundforge! Just cos you use plugins in that programme doesn't mean you're not doing it in Soundforge. If someone's using Fruity Loops they don't say 'Yeah I use Fruity, oh and the fruity dealy plug-in, AND the vocoder, AND the reverb, AND the compressor....'

Also, regarding the whole 'that was obviously played on a keyboard so he's using MIDI...' thing. Soundforge is an audio recorder right? Well, it's a crazy idea, but you can actually plug a keyboard into your computer and RECORD IT! All ready for editing in Soundforge...

bassnation

the abyss
island said:
RE: The whole Soundforge thing.

I just don't understand why people don't belive he did it in Soundforge! Just cos you use plugins in that programme doesn't mean you're not doing it in Soundforge. If someone's using Fruity Loops they don't say 'Yeah I use Fruity, oh and the fruity dealy plug-in, AND the vocoder, AND the reverb, AND the compressor....'

Also, regarding the whole 'that was obviously played on a keyboard so he's using MIDI...' thing. Soundforge is an audio recorder right? Well, it's a crazy idea, but you can actually plug a keyboard into your computer and RECORD IT! All ready for editing in Soundforge...

have you ever tried sequencing in soundforge?

thats why it blew people away, because its using a wave editor in an unusually sophisticated way.

nothing wrong with that, and personally i think you are limited by your imagination, not by your kit. in fact, a limiting setup is sometimes good for creativity. when i was a teenager i used to create tunes by using a double tape deck hi fi and overdubs.

island

bassnation said:
have you ever tried sequencing in soundforge?

thats why it blew people away, because its using a wave editor in an unusually sophisticated way.

nothing wrong with that, and personally i think you are limited by your imagination, not by your kit. in fact, a limiting setup is sometimes good for creativity. when i was a teenager i used to create tunes by using a double tape deck hi fi and overdubs.

I know that, but it CAN be done!
I agree with you you are limited by imagination, im just saying that just cos someone says they do it in soundforge, doesnt mean they dont use synths, keyboards, drum machines etc etc cos it's just like having a tape recorder, you can record ANYTHING into it

bassnation

the abyss
island said:
I know that, but it CAN be done!
I agree with you you are limited by imagination, im just saying that just cos someone says they do it in soundforge, doesnt mean they dont use synths, keyboards, drum machines etc etc cos it's just like having a tape recorder, you can record ANYTHING into it

this is true - but i'd suggest thats not the hard bit. getting all those bits to sit together when you can only merge / cut & paste... well its mind boggling to me anyway.

having said that, i've got some acid house which is obviously not sequenced with a computer program. in particular some early 808 state - its got the looseness of a band as opposed to dance music - sounds all over the place when you are used to the rigid metronome that house music became later.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
bassnation said:
this is true - but i'd suggest thats not the hard bit. getting all those bits to sit together when you can only merge / cut & paste... well its mind boggling to me anyway.

having said that, i've got some acid house which is obviously not sequenced with a computer program. in particular some early 808 state - its got the looseness of a band as opposed to dance music - sounds all over the place when you are used to the rigid metronome that house music became later.

it's not that mad - the guy that did the ensemble lp on rephlex used to do everything in soundforge - it took him months to build a track but he did it

hint

party record with a siren
bassnation said:

Not so mind-boggling if you approach it in hardware terms, with the computer just acting as a fancy multitrack recorder.

With an MPC, for example, you could get 16 bars of drums built up, record them in... Same with keyboard lines etc. It's a good and quick way to work - essentially making cut and paste music, but you provide the source material too.

Doesn't really matter though ;)

Don Rosco

It's totally possible. As Droid said earlier in the thread, there's a guy in Dublin who does all his music in Soundforge. The fact that we all think he's mental is immaterial - he gets it done. It's a non-issue.

I'm more concerned about the bloody album not coming out for another ten bloody days. Bah!

PinkPunk

I've only heard the breezeblock set, but, in my ears Burial has a "collage-like style" which to me seems easier to arrange in a wave-editor rather than filling up a sampler+sequencer with long ambient and speech samples.

I make all my music in a wave-editor too and it's not that hard to "keep in time". I always do my tracks in either 120 bpm (500ms per beat) or 150 bpm (400ms per beat) and then resample the whole thing when mastering.. :p